• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which LucasArts adventure game is the goat?

• The Secret of Monkey Island

Votes: 50 12.9%
  • Monkey Island 2

Votes: 89 22.9%
  • The Curse of Monkey Island

Votes: 39 10.1%
  • Escape from Monkey Island

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Grim Fandango

Votes: 91 23.5%
  • Day of the Tentacle

Votes: 89 22.9%
  • Sam & Max Hit the Road

Votes: 29 7.5%

• Total voters

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Curse of Monkey Island is my favourite. I liked it better than the first two games.

Day of the Tentacle is great as well.

I never played Fate of Atlantis. Disney should get on remaking that like the others.

Why not just play it now, it's on gog (and I assume steam). The 2D remasters DF did (DOTT/FT) weren't that hot anyway.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Voted DotT, but would have also opted for Full Throttle if there was an option for it!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a testament to just how good all of their stuff was that a) the poll is pretty divided, and b) lots of people are chiming in with other Lucasarts titles that aren't listed.

It also reminded me that I have to finally play The Dig.

badabeezy

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for The Dig and Fate of Atlantis needing to be included in the poll since I think they are in the same tier.

That being said I think it is DOTT.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Day of the tentacle will always hold a special place in my heart.

I had a small obsession with that game when I was a pre-teen.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Grin Fandango has the best atmosphere of the lot but Day of the Tentacle is the better adventure game where every aspect (story, humour, graphics, puzzles) slots together perfectly.

I agree that Grim Fandango would benefit from some improvements, but I would center more around the controls and some "actiony" puzzles. What adventure games you have in mind when talking about modern ones?
I'm thinking about the trend Telltale started (and I guess Quantic Dream too) where puzzles were all but done away with in favor of the narrative and player choice being the new driving force. Ever since them, it feels like most mainstream games chose the same thing and it made adventure game puzzles feel kind of anachronistic.

Anim

Oct 29, 2017
Monkey Island 2 for me, no question. The atmosphere, music and graphics in that game are just sublime.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Grim Fandango's unresponsive controls and counter-intuitive puzzles hold it back for me

Day of the Tentacle is perfection

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games.

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, and the fist two Monkey Island games are great though.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I fear for the wellness of whomever voted Escape From Monkey Island.

Personal favorite is probably Secret of Monkey Island, but I think DOTT is the most well rounded and inventive Lucasarts adventure so voted for that.

They're all so great and truly have helped me grown personally by improving my ability to problem solve and reverse engineer.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Not really a big LucasArts P&C adventure game fan (I was firmly in the Sierra camp, even though looking back, a lot of them weren't that good), but DotT is one of my favorite games. It's funny, it looks great, and the puzzles are easy enough that you can get through the game in a reasonable amount of time without a hint book.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly I haven't played every game on the list. I was always more of a Sierra fan. However, I do feel like Fate of Atlantis is the best of the ones I've played. But I guess from that list Monkey Island 2

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's really tough for me to choose between Monkey Island 2 and Curse. MI2 has the better moment to moment gameplay, but the production values in Curse are on a whole different level (and it's no slouch in the gameplay department either).

CarpenterJack

Nov 18, 2017
Full Throttle and Sam & Max is my childhood, love those and the Monkey Island games are such classics too. Grim Fandango is awesome as well.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Day of the Tentacle was definitely my favorite, but Sam and Max is what got me into the genre - so that gets an honorable mention.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what Escape is doing on this poll

Also, it's a toss-up between Fate, DotT and MI2

But I voted for Sam & Max Hit the Road because it's my favorite one

gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
Among those choices DoTT is the best. It's the perfect blend of inventory puzzles and wacky humor.

Fate of Atlantis should be on the list. It's a close second and one could argue it's the best of the bunch thanks to multiple gameplay paths and a fantastic story.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
The Dig had one of the worst endings in a LucasArts adventure game

Definitely. That game builds up the stakes so well, and in the ending just throws it all away. It's one of the rare games that has made me feel insulted with its ending. It's every cliché you could possibly imagine with happiness and hero worship. Blegh!

That game had such potential for a fantastic bittersweet ending, but no.

choog

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I picked DotT.
While I really like many aspects of GF such as the setting and characters, the UI and puzzles were really frustratingly unfun at many places in the game.
Did the remaster fix any of that?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Monkey Island 2 for me, followed by DotT and Secret of Monkey Island.
Grim Fandango suffers too much from nonsense gameplay crap, which spoils it for me.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
DotT is my personal favorite because it's such a concise game. There's never a wasted moment, you don't get bogged down trying dumb item combinations for 20 minutes, all the jokes land and the momentum never really lets up. Grim Fandango has probably my favorite setting, but it kind of overstayed its welcome. Full Throttle, I couldn't really get into. None of the characters really clicked with me. Sam and Max suffers a bit from bullshit-random-adventure-game puzzle-itis, and I haven't really played the Monkey Island games yet. But DotT is basically a perfect adventure game to me.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I should get around to finishing Grim Fandango - I remember dropping it because I got stuck with the puzzles at some point - probably the first of their games that I gave up on.

Monkey Island 2 is peak Lucasarts for me. Everything from that time period is excellent, but MI2 had it all. DoTT is a very close second.

I've been meaning to go back and play the rest of their library, namely the Indiana Jones stuff, and Loom/Dig.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's Monkey Island for me, the trilogy. As this is not in the poll I picked the first.

Indiana Jones has to be in the poll though, I agree.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thinking about the trend Telltale started (and I guess Quantic Dream too) where puzzles were all but done away with in favor of the narrative and player choice being the new driving force. Ever since them, it feels like most mainstream games chose the same thing and it made adventure game puzzles feel kind of anachronistic.
Hmm, I thought you meant that. I don't know, I have a soft spot for puzzles. Even the more raw and unpolished ones from the early Sierra games. I guess it depends on the tone of the game. I can't imagine a Monkey Island or Kings Quest without ridiculous puzzles. At the same time, they wouldn't fit well in The Walking Dead or Life is Strange.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

I'd argue that the classic PnC games of old and the telltale format are two seperate genres.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Monkey Island 2 is still the best one, with The Secret of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle behind it.

Games that not only have fantastic art, music and humour, but also made puzzles varied and challenging, and still very entertaining.

It's a great shame that we now look down on adventure game puzzles, to the point where most devs not even try to include them.

Bobby Peru

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Day of the Tentacle talkie

The Curse of Monkey Island

Full Throttle

special shoutout to all the fandevs mixnmojo used to host in the late 90s.

Wilco

Nov 25, 2018
Almost impossible to choose but I've gone with DotT because I love the mix of puzzles and wacky story and its the one I've replayed the most

Oct 29, 2017
Grim Fandango is my favorite, but I give it to Day of The Tentacle, which I believe is a more consistent game. Grim is a fantastic narrative and the best of them at that, but the game part of it is not as good as DotT.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that the classic PnC games of old and the telltale format are two seperate genres.
Yeah, they feel more like really interactive visual novels. If any of the Lucasarts games could work in that vein it'd probably be Grim Fandango since the narrative was so well paced and movie-like.

Honestly feel like Full Throttle predated the Telltale style of frictionless adventure games by a long shot, since that one felt like they dialed down the puzzles a bunch to give it cinematic pacing.