• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which legacy PlayStation franchise will be revived next?

• Ape Escape

Votes: 96 24.7%
  • Jak & Daxter

Votes: 45 11.6%
  • Sly Cooper

Votes: 39 10.0%
  • Resistance

Votes: 63 16.2%
  • Twisted Metal

Votes: 50 12.9%
  • Syphon Filter

Votes: 58 14.9%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 38 9.8%

• Total voters

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Some boring piece of shit no one cares about that can easily get rebooted into a cinematic blockbuster shooter, so probably Syphon Filter.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Is Ape Escape really that popular or that good? I always put it on the same level as Medievil, which I never enjoyed. I've only played the demos of both games. I think at one point demos were included in the Playstation Magazine. But Ape Escape didn't really do much for me.

Out of this list of games I would love to see Syphon Filter. I loved those games back on the PS1. And with MGS being a dead franchise now I think this game could do well.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Don't think it'll be Twisted Metal as there was a very similar game being published by Sony that was revealed at the PS5 event. I also don't see them doing an FPS (Resistance) as pretty much every type of FPS is now covered by 3rd parties - though I would love to see another game in the series.

I could picture something like Ape Escape as it's got mass market appeal and would be good for early in the console's life. Personally though I'd like to see a new AAA Syphon Filter. Aside MGS5 I can't think of the last time I played a game of that type.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Is Ape Escape really that popular or that good? I always put it on the same level as Medievil, which I never enjoyed. I've only played the demos of both games. I think at one point demos were included in the Playstation Magazine. But Ape Escape didn't really do much for me.

Out of this list of games I would love to see Syphon Filter. I loved those games back on the PS1. And with MGS being a dead franchise now I think this game could do well.
I consider the Ape Escape games the best games Sony have ever published. They're up there with Mario for me.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
I voted Twisted Metal. Not because I want it over something like a new Jak, it just seems the most likely to happen as a paid online experience.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I hope for resistance but i think it'll be ape escape or twisted metal. Ape escape seems like a perfect early gen small game and twisted metal has Order stuff coming out that's starting to respark interest

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I think Resistance has enormous potential as an IP.

I'd reboot it with a trilogy that would have games set in swinging 60's London, 70's crime ridden NY and then 1980's California.

OP
OP
Cosmic Voyager
Oct 24, 2019
I think the problem with Twisted Metal is that the fandom is kinda split down the middle between the people who like the original, openly silly games, and the people who like TM Black's more grim and serious tone. You can't appeal to both, but the TM Black fans are definitely much louder.

Which is ironic, because I think Black's tone is the one that would have a HARDER TIME finding a niche with the online crowd.

I think there is a way to appeal to both, though it would require very deftly walking that tightrope. If they made it a game with pitch black humor, it could appeal to people who appreciated its original silliness, as well as the people who liked the more dark and edgy take. For example, taking cues from something like The Boys -- it's dark as shit and has lots of grim/serious moments, but it also leans into the absurdity of its premise to deliver a lot of great dark humor.

Certainly not an easy task, but I think it would be a way to unite the two fanbases

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think Sony will try and see what Ape Escape, Sly Cooper, and Twisted Metal sell like on PS5. I'm thinking Twisted Metal may be a part of Destruction Allstars maybe though...

Ape escape and Sly cooper would fit nicely right alongside Ratchet and Astrobot though. Also something studio Japan excels at, making puzzles and platforming games.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Voted Sly Cooper because I really want it lol. I have no idea if it actually has a shot at revival though.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
It has to be Twisted Metal. They wouldn't really release merch and make a tv series if no game was gonna be made. I guess we'll find out when Arrowhead announces there next game.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to play all the games in those series on PS5. I think Ape Escape has the best chance of getting a new game first, and we may be getting a Twisted Metal TV show but who knows what Playstation Productions is actually doing anything or not.

The one I want the most is a remake of the Jak & Daxter series. like full on remake. i think it would be a lot of fun.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Resistance. Insomniac have been dropping images from those games for a while now. Cant imagine a collection of some sort isnt coming.

Simon-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
WiKSBwv.jpg

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think Resistance has enormous potential as an IP.

I'd reboot it with a trilogy that would have games set in swinging 60's London, 70's crime ridden NY and then 1980's California.

It would be cool, but continuitywise how would that work. Culture as it were wouldn't go the same way with a Chimera invasion. Honestly, I'd just like to see a MCC style collection for Resistance, maybe Killzone as well. In one pack? That would be a dream. Just getting the games at at least 1080p and 60 FPS.