• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I speak Dutch and English fluently. Was taught French and German in school, I can read and understand those mostly fine, but speaking them doesn't come so naturally. Also did three years of Swedish night classes.

Fully fluent in English, mostly fluent in Spanish, and recently, a few weeks of Swedish on Duolingo lol
Hej min vänn! Sköldpaddorna säger hallå.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
German = fluent
Polish = fluent
English = good enough
French = I get along. Can read, watch TV, understand newspapers etc. or at least most of it

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Finnish and English.

Couple of words of Swedish.
Had several years of Swedish classes at school, so not really an impressive achievement.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Fluent in English.

About as fluent as your average Irish person in Irish - that is to say, not very. I was surprised how much I was able to understand when watching Black 47, though.

Few bits here and there of French.

There was that study a while back that said 70% of Irish people can't speak a foreign language, to which of course Irish people pointed out that they're speaking English perfectly well.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Just english. 3 years of japanese in high school plus 3 years being stationed there I barely know anything. Wife is Brazilian and always gives me shit for not learning Portuguese.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, German, English and French. French not so good though.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Fully fluent Spanish and Galician... and forums and Reddit helped me to catch up with English, but i'm not sure if i'm fully able to make me understakd yet, lol.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Fluent Dutch & English. Good enough French. Understand/read German just fine, tho can't speak/write it very well. Bits of Spanish, Japanese and Polish.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Spanish (Native), English (Fully fluent, use it every day in academic and informal fashion, have a C2 level certificate) and French (I understand everything, can have any conversation I want, but my vocabulary is more limited than in English, if I studied a bit I'd be able to get a C1 certificate).

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Only Swedish and English I guess, did try and learn both spanish and german in school but pretty much nothing stuck.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Native English, intermediate german and chinese (Mandarin/Taiwanese Hokkien), basic French and Spanish. Would like to bone up on my Chinese some more to improve my reading and writing (traditional) but lacking time to do classes right now.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Finnish, English, Swedish and some Japanese.

Being a Finnish native speaker isn't the easiest base to learn other languages since it isn't related to any major language. Still, learning languages from other language trees is pretty interesting because it shows you how language can shape the way people think in different cultures, etc.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I hope I'll one day be able to become fluent in my parent's second mother tongue, Alsatian, a Low-Alemannic dialect similar to those traditionally spoken across the French-German border. The main issue is the lack of resources and the fact I've already got so much on my plate. I'm planning on learning Standard German first, which should definitely help as I'll already have a good basis in a related language that actually has a ton of content.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
English, Portuguese (European), conversational Japanese and I can understand some Spanish and French, plus Cicopi and Bitonga (two local dialects in my country). My mom speaks 7 and my dad speaks 13. The latter is almost fluent in all.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
English, I took Mandarin for six years academically and did very well grade-wise, but none of it stuck. At all. I remember more German from two years of German. It's put me off to trying to learn any other language, though my wife is from Barcelona and I have no ability to speak to her family.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
Dutch, English, Spanish, French, German, Papiamentu (thus by extension Portugese). Was at kindergarden-level of Turkish, but the relationship wasn't meant to be so I stopped learning it.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Native English. Moderate-to-high fluency for a foreigner in Mandarin but a long ways from native level. Basic Japanese.

Any tips for improving a language once you reach a moderate-to-high level? I have a 30-minute weekly skype with a Mandarin tutor to practice listening/speaking & I watch Mandarin-language shows on a regular basis, but I'd love some more suggestions.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
I speak a language less then 350.000 people on this planet use. It's Frisian. I wonder if there's any other native speakers on Era :).

Other then that, English, Dutch, a bit of german, some french. Used to speak some Japanese, remnants of an exchange year there, but it's mostly gone.

Edit: LOL, I should'v read first page. Ah goeie Spiderman!

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
German, as it's my native language. And I'm fully fluent in English to the point that I probably read and hear more English than German on a daily basis thanks to the Internet, lol

Would love to learn Japanese, tho.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Native Spanish speaker, I also speak English and can handle myself in the language just fine. My Japanese is between basic and intermediate, mostly because I studied at a Japanese school here in Peru, but took a few lessons with the same teachers from my school (who are Japanese) after I graduated high school. I want to learn Portuguese and Italian too, feels like I should be able to learn those 2 easily considering I'm a native Spanish speaker. I'd also like to perfect my Japanese, or at least be fluent in it.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
English and Yorkshire native...

Super basic French, German and Spanish... This is literally like ordering food and drinks etc for holiday purposes... I couldn't hold a conversation in these languages, but know enough to not be the typical English guys shouts louder to make people understand.

Also R, SQL and basic python.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Spanish is native language. Can understand and write English well, but need to practice more speaking. Know some Japanese thanks to Duolingo and some books I have bought. At the least, I can read hiragana, katakana and some kanjis. I have noticed my understanding of Japanese have increased; have an idea of what it is said without reading the subtitles.

Since we are adding programming languages then PHP, SQL, Python and C#.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Primarily Dutch, but also English, French and German. I want to add Norwegian to the list.

Spanish, Portuguese and Mandarin look far too intimidating to learn :(

Oh programming/scripting languages too? Bash, Powershell, Python, PHP, JavaScript.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Native Spanish speaker, Italian since that is my family's languaje, fluent French and English, and I defend myself on Euskera from the Basque country

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Native Spanish speaker, English can comprehend everything (read, listen) but since I don't have friends for oral conversation practices, my talking lv is almost none...

Took a course or two of Russian and Japanese a few years ago, but without practice it's the same as nothing... Hoping to get serious and relearn at least Japanese next year.

Can understand a bit of Portuguese since as a child we had a Brazilian feed in our cable TV.