• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
English and while I have no confidence in my Japanese other people say im basically fluent so there's that as well.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Mother tongue is American English, pretty strong in Mexican Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, but I falter with Caribbean and Rioplatense Spanish and European Portuguese.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Native portuguese, fluent-ish english and spanish (they are far worse than at their prime though), sort of intermediate german (but who knows really) and learning french.
At some point I also tried some japanese and mandarin, but I guess there was no true dedication to them. Maybe in the future...

Mother tongue is American English, pretty strong in Mexican Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese, but I falter with Caribbean and Rioplatense Spanish and European Portuguese.
Don't worry, european portuguese is also a problem to many brazilians, as we are not used to watching/hearing portuguese media.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
English, French, and Spanish. I can do okay reading German, but often have to look things up. Right now I'm learning Cree!

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I'm fluent in English, Tagalog, and French. I can understand a local language (Cebuano) but oddly enough I can't speak it, but I understand when people speak in Cebuano to me.

Recently, I decided to pick up Spanish and I'm already in A1.3. I just got side-tracked with how busy I have been these past few weeks but once the semester is over, I'm planning to go back to studying/taking classes.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
German and english.
English was like 95% self-taught by playing video games which only had english texts, anime with english subtitles, talking english to people over Xbox Live back then, and being around english speaking video game forums etc.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
English and Japanese, but I'm not super fluent in Japanese. If you start talking to me about harder subjects like politics, science and stuff I'll not understand.

I plan on finishing my Japanese eventually then moving onto Mandarin.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
100% English
30% Spanish
10% Japanese
10% Haitian Creole

Those are rough estimates, I'm not sure if you can learn 100% of a language lol

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Spanish and English. I'm trying German and I don't plan to stop trying, I don't know how many years it will take but I will get there (self learning).

Other than that I might try to learn Italian or Portuguese due to the heavy similarities to Spanish.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Brazilian Portuguese (mother tongue) and English.
I also studied french for 6 months, but don't remember much. It was hard for me to form sentences and communicate what I wanted to say.
I also know a few random Japanese words from watching anime.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Thai native speaker. Fairly fluent in English. Learning Japanese.

All 3 languages have almost nothing in common and it makes learning them very difficult.

Mar 30, 2019
As a monolingual dumbfuck, I'm super jealous of you multilingual types. AT BEST, I can say I understand some Spanish and read it at a low intermediate level. It makes you look sophisticated in my eyes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fluent in English and a baby in Portuguese.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Native English speaker, took 6 years of French (middle and high school), 2 years of German (college), and lived in Italy for 6 months so picked up a little bit there. I can have decent conversations in French/German but speak Italian like a toddler.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
English, rusty one-year-exchange-student-level German, and extremely rusty 6-weeks-exchange Italian.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I take it you don't live in Japan? If at all possible, it is best to find a Japanese friend to have regular correspondence with. I think that helped me just as much or more than my studies did in the end.

Lived there for a bit, but currently can't go back. Most of my Japanese friends are a bit too busy so I have to rely on other methods

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I speak in rhymes and riddles, ends and aughts, whispers and shouts. For I speak the language of calcium and good bones.

*doot doot*

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming Lucio was the motivation?
A secondary motivation. I learned of capoeira's existence from Lucio (when his relevant skin dropped) and began seriously practicing. Regardless, it's an unspoken expectation that as a capoeirista, you learn Portuguese on top of everything else. So I do my Duolingo lessons to keep in my master's good graces lol.