• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which to play first?

• XB:DE

Votes: 130 38.2%
  • P5R

Votes: 210 61.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
I've played and beaten the base versions of both games before and I loved them both (both were in my top 10 games of the decade), so I know I'll enjoy revisiting either one, and I'll definitely play them both eventually. Some more information on why I'd lean towards either game.

Xenoblade:
  1. I played XC in 2015, whereas I played P5 in 2017, so XC is less fresh to me.
  2. I played the 3DS version which was terribly low res, whereas with DE I can play on my nice 1080p monitor.
Persona 5:
  1. Of the 2 games, I think i enjoyed Persona 5 a bit more.
  2. If I'm not mistaken Royal adds a lot more new content than DE does.
  3. I'm probably going to get Strikers, so this would serve as a nice refresher for me.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I played through both in 2020 and I think P5R is the better game and the better use of your time. Which, by the way....take your time

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade is the better game. P5R has more new content, but I can't imagine adding 20 more hours to a game that was already way too long would be that good a use of your time.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade: DE is a very ok at best remaster, Royal is probably a better bet.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Xenoblade if you want to really be feeling it.

feel free to hang in the OT
www.resetera.com

Xenoblade: Definitive Edition |OT| It's Reyn Time, again!

DO NOT DISCUSS FUTURE CONNECTED SPOILERS OR CONTENT IN THIS THREAD FUTURE CONNECTED HAS A SEPARATE OT Composers: Yoko Shimomura, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, Manami Kyiota, Yasunori Mitsuda Multiplayer: You'll be a hermit for a hundred plus hours. Motion Controls: You will not move. Potato Mode...

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Xenoblade DE is still a 10 yr old game and it shows. It is heralded because of the game it was then, not the game it is now. There's a difference to me. I tried to play it over the Christmas break again and it didn't hook me in the least. Bland characters, bland story. Great OST though. And a battle system that was better 10 yrs ago then now.

Persona 5 Royal is the best JRPG since FFXII was re-released. You want to play this unless you despise anime culture.

Edit: Clarity that I'm talking about XC:DE and P5R

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 Royal is probably my favorite game of all time, or is at least in my top three of all time. The Royal content generally improves the flow of the game and the ending stuff is absolutely incredible and re-contextualizes everything that came before.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think XBC:DE is wonderful, and I actually like the more subdued nature of Future Connected. But base on your OP I would think P5R is the better pick.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade is a 10 yr old game and it shows. It is heralded because of the game it was then, not the game it is now. There's a difference to me. I tried to play it over the Christmas break again and it didn't hook me in the least. Bland characters, bland story. Great OST though. And a battle system that was better 10 yrs ago then now.

Persona 5 is the best JRPG since FFXII was re-released. You want to play this unless you despise anime culture.
OP is specifically talking about Xenoblade DE and P5 Royal. They already played the OG versions.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Both probably.

But if you're going for the extra content aspect, Xenoblade is easier to access. But Persona 5 Royal probably is the better game to revisit because there are way more changes than there are in Xenoblade (mostly visuals in that).

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
They are both worth playing. I will say I played Xenobldw for the first time last year and it quickly became my game of the year and on of my top 3 RPGs of all time. Royal adds a lot more to it's already massive game and Xenoblade is just kinda the same from what I know.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I would go with XB considering you played the 3DS version, and you can skip straight to the new stuff if you want.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I never played the original P5 but P5R's bonus arc is my favourite in the game. If you've played the original of both, P5R sounds like the better bet.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
XBC:DE was a trash remaster. If you haven't tried it, try Tokyo Mirage Sessions.. that's like the best of both worlds if you ask me

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019
Persona 5 Royal makes a great game one of the best experiences I've ever had in videogames, Xenoblade DE turns a great RPG with terrible art direction into a great RPG that looks great (haven't played Futures Connected yet), so I would go for P5R

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
P5R is the highest rated game this year. Great music, fun combat loop and that style is 🔥

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I don't think you could go wrong with either based on your OP. If you played the 3DS version of Xenoblade I think that may be worth it. I was going to come into the thread to say Xenoblade since I think Persona 5 is a bad game, but again based on the OP I don't think you're going to dislike your time with either so I wouldn't stress it too much.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
XBC:DE was a trash remaster. If you haven't tried it, try Tokyo Mirage Sessions.. that's like the best of both worlds if you ask me
I haven't read this much. What makes it bad? I haven't played XC but am very interested in it from the great word of mouth for the game. I loved X and I know they are different beasts.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has both and has played both of the originals (Wii version of XB in my case), while the enhancements are nice in XB:DE, P5R adds much more to the experience and makes it that much better to play. Go with P5R first.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
XBC:DE in casual mode is going to be a lot quicker than P5R if that matters. So long as you're skipping side quests (really only doing the ones right in front of you). You can beat Xeno 1 in like 35-4 hours.

Granted this doesn't count the new chapter

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
I have both of those unplayed and I'm going through XBC:DE first for sure. Only one of those 2 has Shimomura on the soundtrack, easiest choice.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Got P5: Royal and started it last weekend. Despite remembering the game pretty well, I'm having a blast all over again with it and the new additions are really cool so far.

Can't speak to Xenoblade: DE since I've not bought it (yet, want to though since I loved the original back in the day on Wii). They're both winners, tbh.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I haven't read this much. What makes it bad? I haven't played XC but am very interested in it from the great word of mouth for the game. I loved X and I know they are different beasts.
The combat is loose and a step back from XBC2 (which I loved!!). The game is just too old and there's better options out there. The visuals were cleaned up but it could've used a full remake, imo.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've only played P5R, but I think the general opinion is that P5R has by far the better new content of the two games, whereas Xenoblade DE is mostly just for fans who want to replay the game with better graphics/QoL/portable. I thought the new content in P5R was generally good, but I did disliked how it totally wrecked the game's difficulty balance (it's way easier to break the game in the player's favor in P5R than it is in base P5 and unlike P4G, they didn't add any new harder difficulty options). Makes it so that I don't really want to ever replay P5R, whereas I've played through P4G several times.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Pigging back off of this, as someone that already played P5, is P5R worth returning to? My run was 120+ hours, not sure if I can stomach it again.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
if you've played the base game of both already royal adds more than DE. You also seem to enjoy P5 more than XC so the answer's obvious

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much did what you did OP... although I only finished Xenoblade for the first time about 15 months ago. I'd finished P5 about a year before. Late last year I played XCDE along with Future Connected, and I loved it even more the second time through. I'm sure the same will be true for P5R when I go back to it. For what it's worth, XCDE is probably my favorite JRPG of the generation right now.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, Xenoblade Chronicles is an infinitely better game, but going off your OP, you enjoyed P5 much more. So the answer is an obvious one. Pick up P5R

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
You can't go wrong with either one tbh, I would say this comes down to whether you want a more fantasy flavour or a modern-day flavour.

Since it's been longer since you played Xenoblade, I'm leaning towards that.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pigging back off of this, as someone that already played P5, is P5R worth returning to? My run was 120+ hours, not sure if I can stomach it again.
The story additions, dungeon reworks, mechanical tweaks (ammo being restored after every battle in particular), and greater freedom with the daily schedule (up to and including being able to actually do things at night after returning from the Metaverse) have all been things that should've been there in the original I'd say. I had originally been going through vanilla P5 a second time on NG+, but I'm finding it difficult to picture going back to that at this point.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of flabbergasted by people saying Xenoblade:DE is a bad remake. The QoL improvements alone make it by far the best way to play the game, without considering the new content or updated graphics.

That said for a returning player I do think P5R adds a bit more content

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I was this way too but so I waited until the game was $20 and just finally got to the new content and yeah it was a blast. I bought P5 launch day so it's been long enough for me to revisit.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Future Connected is really good, for the type of content it is. It has better pacing than much of the base game. It's cool seeing Monolith apply the lessons they learned in the time in between, while still sticking to the same combat system as before (with some minor tweaks).

I found revisiting the base game to be much more tedious this time around, as I wasn't intending to play every ounce of content. Turns out, the game kind of expects you to towards the end! It's *not* balanced for a critical path run. And the weird gap at the end, where you get a bunch of quests for later levels without anything to do except grind enemies in the 70s, is wholly intact in the Definitive Edition. This game really could've used more changes than the artstyle.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Xenoblade 1 is one of the five best RPGs of all time, while Persona 5 is the lesser sibling of the superior Persona 3 and 4. Though if you have already played the original versions of both games, I don't really have much advise to give. I do think that Xenoblade's greater character customization and team-building options give it an advantage in replayability over Persona 5 though.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
The story additions, dungeon reworks, mechanical tweaks (ammo being restored after every battle in particular), and greater freedom with the daily schedule (up to and including being able to actually do things at night after returning from the Metaverse) have all been things that should've been there in the original I'd say. I had originally been going through vanilla P5 a second time on NG+, but I'm finding it difficult to picture going back to that at this point.
Wow that's a lot of good QoL changes. Reconsidering it now potentially.

I was this way too but so I waited until the game was $20 and just finally got to the new content and yeah it was a blast. I bought P5 launch day so it's been long enough for me to revisit.
got it on launch too. Might jump back in.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't played XB:DE, but I can't express how much I enjoyed Royale. For me, Persona 5 was top 3 games of last generation, but after beating Royale this easily took the #1 spot when thinking about most memorable and enjoyable games of last gen. To keep it spoiler free, I found the additional story content being the best part of the whole package. The only negative thing to say is that even in Merciless mode the battles (including boss encounters) were unfortunately easy, because of the additions Royale made to the gameplay. I would have hoped that this would have countered more heavily by creating more powerful enemies etc. to keep the tension up. But still, it's a sublime game that I somewhat regret of buying just half price.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I played the 3DS version which was terribly low res, whereas with DE I can play on my nice 1080p monitor.
For this reason alone I would recommend XC:DE. The original XC and the remake/remaster are better games than P5 (don't know about P5R though), but both are amazing JRPG games of course. XC is a game about exploring gorgeous and big environments, XC DE has not the best image quality, but the 3DS port is a really really compromised version that loses the main selling point of the game due to the small screen and low res.

So I think that even if P5R has more gameplay changes and added content (XC DE has by far the biggest visual overhaul of course), plating XC on a big screen is a gigantic improvement over playing it on the 3DS and a far better experience overall.