• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Worst Airline?

• United

Votes: 126 29.2%
  • United

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Ryanair

Votes: 167 38.7%
  • Frontier

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • Air India

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Korean Air

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • United

Votes: 45 10.4%

• Total voters

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is China Airlines not on there?

Korean Air is a fantastic (yet expensive) airline.

Therefore, WTF @ that poll.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I flew Air India to Germany once and I swear the seats were basically one step above folding chairs

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking Spirit by a long shot. Last flight I was on with them they had an attendant selling a credit card the entire descent. Guy was holding on to the top luggage racks walking around giving out little forms and very aggressively selling this thing to everyone. Bad enough they have the worst seats and least comfortable aircraft around.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
just got off united op and you were right. complete dogshit and easily one the worst flights i've had

Macam

Nov 8, 2018
Never flown them because their reputation precedes them, but I can't imagine flying on Spirit.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I never really had an issue with Ryanair before last August.

We're flying back from Poland to the UK and the flight was supposed to leave Wroclaw at 16:10. Due to unknown delays, the flight until 00:35.

I complained about the delay and didn't think I'd get anything back. However, a month later I had an email confirming they had paid me Ā£680 compensation for the delay! Being stuck in the airport for hours was a nightmare, but getting Ā£700 back made it worth it

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I flew out of England recently, and the entire Ryanair experience was horrible. And I'm used to flying dirt cheap Spirit flights, those always pass by with little aggravation.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Last Ryanair flight I was on they forgot to open the back exit of the plane (guess where we were) and locked the entrance to the airport.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
Allegiant....free.

Every flight has been miserable, 1 emergency landing due to plane problems, roughest landings in the world, and the one time I didnt go with my friends to Vegas, one of the engines caught fire and they were forced to make an emergency landing.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Fun topic.

Regarding WizzAir as a low-fare company, I always found it quite good if you make sure to plan your packing, and it also heavily depends on in which country you deal with their staff. Here in Sweden, they're quite good, but in other countries where they operate, if they catch you with excessive baggage, it's a world of hurt.

Also, I've flown with Aeroflot from Europe to Moscow, then another domestic flight within Russia, and I thought it was perfectly fine! Didn't seem any worse than, let's say, Lufthansa or something. Good food and the planes were in good shape and the cabin personnel proper and friendly. I'd assume they have shaped up massively in recent times.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I cannot believe how low Air India has polled. Terrible airline. Always late and horrid service. I remember a flight I took that crashed into an airport wall while taking off.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'll say Ryanair is surprisingly good when traveling with babies, sometimes actually better than premium airlines. Usually you don't have to pay extra for the stroller, you get priority, etc. Genuinely good service. I think they reckon the crying and kicking the seat in front of you all add to that vintage Ryanair experience.

Oct 30, 2017
Why is China Airlines not on there?

Korean Air is a fantastic (yet expensive) airline.

Therefore, WTF @ that poll.

china airlines isn't bad ā€” i'd put it over air china at least, or any other mainland airline really.

but yeah why on earth is korean air an option in this poll?!

ryanair is the obvious answer but you kind of know what you're getting into there. also i like that the seats don't recline.

the most consistently terrible airline i ever regularly fly is delta.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Id say Delta....

Why the hell is Korean Air up there? Korean Air is amazing...

But yea....Fuck Delta

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
As i'm from the UK Ryanair has to be the worst. The seats are dirty and the leg room is a joke. Have to pay Ā£12 each way to get about 6inches extra leg room.
You get what you pay for. I can get a ryanair flight from Frankfurt to Barcelona for 18ā‚¬, OF COURSE they'll offer dirty seats, no leg room, no service to speak off in the cabin etc.,

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Let's make a list of things that will probably make your European Ryanair flight insufferable:

- The plane will be late
- Because of late arrival, the will be a delay
- The gate is the farthest away in your terminal, because Ryanair has booked the cheapest possible part of the airport.
- Sometimes the boarding happens at some hangar outside the gates, so while you are supposed to be "boarding", you will just wait at a hangar for 20 minutes, standing
- Because of late arrival, sometimes you will even wait in front of the airpor aisle, while passengers get out of the airplane
- Therefore you will be sitting on chips crumbs and a dirty airplane
- The flight attendants seem like the unhappiest people on Earth
- If you catch a night flight, prepare for
a) lights on throughout the flight
b) a barrage of announcements for food menus, duty free purchases, lottery tickets and other shit that will not let you sleep at all
- seats are tight and uncomfortable

At least it's still seemingly safe to fly with them

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's make a list of things that will probably make your European Ryanair flight insufferable:

- The plane will be late
- The gate is the farthest away in your terminal, because Ryanair has booked the cheapest possible part of the airport.
- Sometimes the boarding happens at some hangar outside the gates, so while you are supposed to be "boarding", you will just wait at a hangar for 20 minutes, standing
- Because of late arrival, sometimes you will even wait in front of the airpor aisle, while passengers get out of the airplane
b) a barrage of announcements for food menus, duty free purchases, lottery tickets and other shit that will not let you sleep at all

As someone who flew from Denmark to Italy with Ryanair last summer, all of this is so damn true. We got to the destination and it was fairly cheap, but man fuck all the surrounding noise with them. Departures were late both ways, shittiest possible terminal/airport in Italy with not enough seating for all the passengers for the already delayed flights and just the dumbest possible boarding procedure where they want you to pay more just to board a few minutes earlier.

The boarding system was just so goddamn dumb, people were super confused and nothing made logical sense, why even split the line into two to begin with, everyone was going to the same damn flight.

Thankfully i'm flying with SAS and Asiana Airlines for my trip to South Korea on friday, i'm expecting it to be a much nicer time than that dinky Ryanair flight i had last summer.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who flew from Denmark to Italy with Ryanair last summer, all of this is so damn true. We got to the destination and it was fairly cheap, but man fuck all the surrounding noise with them. Departures were late both ways, shittiest possible terminal/airport in Italy with not enough seating for all the passengers for the already delayed flights and just the dumbest possible boarding procedure where they want you to pay more just to board a few minutes earlier.

The boarding system was just so goddamn dumb, people were super confused and nothing made logical sense, why even split the line into two to begin with, everyone was going to the same damn flight.

Thankfully i'm flying with SAS and Asiana Airlines for my trip to South Korea on friday, i'm expecting it to be a much nicer time than that dinky Ryanair flight i had last summer.

The funniest thing is people that paid "priority" boarding (among them myself too) rushing to get into the airplane after waiting outside at some shitty hangar, only to reach another line (2nd after boarding) and just stand OUTSIDE, waiting for the plane to arrive. We literally had to wait, watch it land, turn, stop, wait for the passengers to get out, and then get in.

After the 2nd and 3rd time this happened to me (unfortunately I had had to flight a lot of time with them) I started laughing at the people just rushing to board, only to stop outside the boarding area because the plane was not there, lol.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
United sucks. Worst flight I ever had. Although it was more the passengers if I'm honest.

I doubt it's the worst airline in the world.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
This is the worst poll ever. Spirit isn't even an option. No low cost Asian carriers? Also American consistently ranks worse than United.

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
I've flown on Ryanair just once on a flight that was barely three hours just to save some dollarydoos and I haven't cheaped out on flights since. I don't think there was anything on board that plane that wasn't terrible, people or otherwise.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing is people that paid "priority" boarding (among them myself too) rushing to get into the airplane after waiting outside at some shitty hangar, only to reach another line (2nd after boarding) and just stand OUTSIDE, waiting for the plane to arrive. We literally had to wait, watch it land, turn, stop, wait for the passengers to get out, and then get in.

After the 2nd and 3rd time this happened to me (unfortunately I had had to flight a lot of time with them) I started laughing at the people just rushing to board, only to stop outside the boarding area because the plane was not there, lol.

Yeah, something similar happened when going to the plane, the two damn lines got mixed and those with "priority" didn't board any faster than those who didn't pay for it, it was so dumb lol.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, something similar happened when going to the plane, the two damn lines got mixed and those with "priority" didn't board any faster than those who didn't pay for it, it was so dumb lol.

I do believe with Ryanair you get priority boarding for "free" if you pay for 2 cabin bags anyway so that's why so many people got it.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Ryanair objectively can't be great, however they can be so cheap that they are far from the worst just based on that merit. You feel kinda filthy going with them, but even with luggage and extra legroom I often hit under 100 Euros for nearly anywhere in Europe which is impossible to pass up when every other option almost runs double or more.

Plane was never dirty for me and the service people really trying the best they can given the budget. They were always friendly.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

- The plane will be late

I funningly had none of those departing from and going to Berlin yet. And I have flown with Ryanair like 4 times over the last year. Maybe they bother more on some connections

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I funningly had none of those departing from and going to Berlin yet. And I have flown with Ryanair like 4 times over the last year. Maybe they bother more on some connections

I've flown almost once per month since last fall - mostly to Central Europe (Budapest, Vienna, Prague) and Athens. All of these happen in some variation almost every time, especially since Easter.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do believe with Ryanair you get priority boarding for "free" if you pay for 2 cabin bags anyway so that's why so many people got it.

Yeah, i believe there was something about that and that makes a little more sense, but the actual boarding procedure was still so remarkably dumb.

Annoying Old Party Man

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, i believe there was something about that and that makes a little more sense, but the actual boarding procedure was still so remarkably dumb.

Basically they advertise it is BOARDING options, but its basically "do you want to travel with your luggage on board, or with no luggage at all"?. Most people do not want to check in for short european flights, so either you do "priority" boarding and you take luggage with you or you do no priority and you don't have any luggage.

Priority boarding vs normal boarding means literally nothing.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

I had a long haul return trip from NZ to Manilla, Philippines on Philippines Airlines, about 15 hours total flight time. Firstly, the "nonstop" advertised flight (which is why I chose it over Qantas) turned out to have a stop in Cairns, Australia, which I only discovered at checkin. The plane configuration wasn't very comfortable in economy space wise. The flight was delayed in NZ and in Australia, though not too much in each instance. The food was not good. The entertainment was limited (not sure my seat even had a video screen now I think about it). On the way back, boarding was delayed in Manilla by an hour, actual boarding was choas, then we sat on the tarmac for a while. Then they announced they were adding an additional stop within the Philippines to drop off some cargo they had taken on. After that unscheduled stop, we flew on to Cairns, and boarding was again delayed. We departed for Auckland several hours late by this point, and I knew I'd be pushing it to get the last available flight on to Wellington where I live which I had been rescheduled onto during the flight. When we finally arrived in Auckland, the pilots parked too close to the gate and we had to wait 15 minutes for a vehicle to tow us backwards so we could disembark. The air crew tried to make me wait for everybody else who was late for their connecting flight as I left the plane because for some stupid reason they thought waiting for everybody then going as a group to get our luggage and go through immigration would make it easier than just rushing ahead, but I insisted I leave being a seasoned veteran of the airport and did. I missed my rescheduled connecting flight to Wellington by 5 minutes , and had to stay the night in Auckland which Philippines Air did not pay for (because they wanted me to come from the Domestic Terminal all the way back to the International Terminal to fill out a form after having basically run across in the the other direction with my suitcase).

Not a single part of the experience was good. They managed to disappoint or fall below an acceptable standard in every aspect.

For the record in terms of good airlines, I'm biased, but Air New Zealand is great in almost every aspect other than they lean expensive relative to other airlines. Makes it hard having to transfer from them onto other airlines when traveling afar.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Gƶteborg
I have only been flying with a few airlines. KLM, SAS, Delta, Lufthansa, Ryanair, Air Berlin. These are the ones i can remember top of my head anyway.

Of those Ryanair were the "worst" but i only flew with them to London and the flight was like an hour or so. So it wasnt too bad. But its like Zero frills and not much comfort. It kinda feels like a city bus. But like i said only was on the plane for like an hour.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Transavia is the worst for me, I have to take 4,5 hour flights with them reguraly, and it's an awfull experience every time.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
I can't recall having any sort of "catastrophic" flying experience..I'd say Westjet nickle & dime you worse than Ryanair does. Easyjet are always, always delayed & Icelandair aircraft feel as though they're held together with sellotape.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I really can't wait until I figure out how to use my 65,000 United points and then switch to another FF service. EVA is probably a better option living in Asia.

rafiki

Alt account
Banned
May 18, 2019
people voting for Ryanair?

i have traveled within Europe many times for less than $40 USD. wtf do you expect with that price? I love ryanair

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So reading this thread makes me wonder if there are any worthwhile airlines for domestic travel in the US šŸ˜‚

(Haven't traveled domestically so not familiar)