• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst Airline?

• United

Votes: 126 29.2%
  • United

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Ryanair

Votes: 167 38.7%
  • Frontier

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • Air India

Votes: 26 6.0%
  • Korean Air

Votes: 10 2.3%
  • United

Votes: 45 10.4%

• Total voters

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely United. It's the only airline I actively boycott due to how bad my experiences with them have been.

Mar 29, 2018
Ryanair is the worst I've experienced

The poll is pretty dumb though because this is a worldwide forum and some airlines barely operate in some spheres or will operate more heavily in others

It's Spirit.

I remember there was a woman on a flight sitting behind us and it was clear she was fucked up. Her husband was trying to wake her up while simultaneously telling the steward that she was fine (My theory to this day was that they were drug runners and a baggie had came apart in her stomach or something). So I called the steward over and said, "Listen man, I think that woman needs a doctor or something before we take off."

"She bought her ticket." and he walked away.
What happened to her??

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
United is my least favorite out of the major US airlines (United, Delta, American, Alaska, Southwest) but is still LEAGUES above the trash that is Spirit

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Some people don't have a few bucks to save so have to take the low rated shit lines
Nothing is worth your comfort and safety. Come on. Ppl are just cheap! Ryanair? Spirit? Ppl can do better. The savings aren't that massive.

And I live in CANADA where flying anywhere is usually pretty fucking expensive.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those voting for United, have you flown RyanAir? That's the real culprit.

Also, United is still better than Spirit lol

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Those voting for United, have you flown RyanAir? That's the real culprit.

I've not flown United but I have flown RyanAir and it's fine? Pretty decent leg room too even compared to other European budget airlines.

For the most part I've not had terrible experiences with any airline to be honest. Norwegian wasn't great either.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's United. How is this shitty company still operational.

They were given a massive bailout with the agreement that they wouldn't fire employees... and then they fired a ton of employees. Any company that's so incompetent they would have gone broke if not for government intervention is clearly the worst.

United is shit but Spirit is a whole other depth of shit

Spirit is extremely transparent about exactly what to expect on their flight. There are no surprises or hidden fees. They explain why their seats don't recline (to fit more on-board), that it costs extra to reserve a specific seat, and that they charge for carry-on luggage. The first time I flew, I didn't read carefully and was livid. The next time I knew what to expect and found it as pleasant and stress-free as possible.

And Spirit is cheaper than the competition so it's not like their cost-cutting doesn't have advantages.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty much fly Delta and Southwest exclusively when it comes to domestic travel.
Same here. Other than weather related delays, I've never had a problem with Delta. I fly them everytime except the rare occasion they don't have a direct flight. Then I'll either use Southwest or just deal with the Delta layover.

I'm never flying with United or American again. I've had bad experiences every time I've flown on them.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Worst airlines I've flown are Virgin Australia and British Airways.

Virgin Australia I flew from Melbourne to Cairns in 2015, the seats were ridiculously cramped. So cramped in fact that the right armrest of my seat broke my phones' screen just after I sat down and got strapped in.

British Airways I've flown a few times and they've been great short-haul but their long haul product is fucking abysmal. I flew from London to Tokyo in 2007 and it was one of the most uncomfortable, outdated, cramped experiences I've ever had long haul.

After hearing a lot of horror stories about North American airlines I've found the two I've flown (Delta and Air Canada) to be excellent.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I fly United all the time. They're shitty, but at least I know what to expect. I hate surprises during travel.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you really think it's United you haven't flown many airlines. All those budget airlines are total shit.
I haven't flown spirit or ryanair but at the very least you sorta know what you are getting into. They are budget airlines.

United is not advertised as such. The only reason they potentially have low prices is because they are so widespread. But goddamn I hate flying there all the time. You pay normal airline tickets for a budget experience. But like a BAD budget experience. Especially if you choose basic economy. Which is still too pricy for how bullshit the experience is.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I haven't flown spirit or ryanair but at the very least you sorta know what you are getting into. They are budget airlines.

United is not advertised as such. The only reason they potentially have low prices is because they are so widespread. But goddamn I hate flying there all the time. You pay normal airline tickets for a budget experience. But like a BAD budget experience. Especially if you choose basic economy. Which is still too pricy for how bullshit the experience is.
Oh yeah, the whole Basic Economy thing in general is a bunch of shit, especially when it comes to United since they don't allow a full-sized carry-on bag with a Basic Economy ticket (unlike Delta and I think American too).

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I tend to only fly Delta and Alaska, but I've heard nothing but terrible things about United.

I flew RyanAir once from Malaga, Spain to Brussels and it was fine, but I also knew what I was getting myself into on a short hop flight.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

This

Budget airlines are usually shit, but atleast they're cheap, I'm willing to put up with a shitty flight if it's saving me a lot of money.

On the other hand, airlines such as United or Air Canada charge you a shit ton for a ticket and you still get a shit flying experience on top of that.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Work makes us use United or Delta. Delta was garbage for me, but United has been good. Maybe it's because I fly business class it becomes a better experience, but haven't seen any issues with them. Last international flight I took with them, they bumped me to 1st class and while the plane was having mechanical issues, they allowed all 1st class passengers to stay aboard. We were literally having a party, drinking and eating on the plane with top notch service while everyone else had to stay inside the airport. The seats went full recline too, so once I had enough, I took a good nap that flight.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely United, but I also want to say I appreciate your proper use of the word "worst".

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
spirit is so hilariously garbage how is it not the only option on your poll

there was some small airline i flew once in the middle of nowhere ukraine where there were a bunch of farm animals all over so thats definitely the worst flight ive ever been on

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
They were given a massive bailout with the agreement that they wouldn't fire employees... and then they fired a ton of employees. Any company that's so incompetent they would have gone broke if not for government intervention is clearly the worst.

Spirit is extremely transparent about exactly what to expect on their flight. There are no surprises or hidden fees. They explain why their seats don't recline (to fit more on-board), that it costs extra to reserve a specific seat, and that they charge for carry-on luggage. The first time I flew, I didn't read carefully and was livid. The next time I knew what to expect and found it as pleasant and stress-free as possible.

And Spirit is cheaper than the competition so it's not like their cost-cutting doesn't have advantages.
knowing to expect awful doesnt stop it from being awful

somehow when booking tickets i always forget how bad they are and convince myself its worth the 100 dollars saved (just the ticket, it obviously goes down if you dont stay on your toes ie check in incorrectly, dont print your boarding pass etc)

its never worth the 100 dollars

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Surprised by all the Air Canada mentions. I've only flown with them once (London - Vancouver) but it was pretty good.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought it was United until I flew United to Australia and it was a surprisingly good flight. My return flight was on Air Canada and it was absolutely dog shit, one of the worst flights I've ever been on. Air Canada in general has always been awful, but that cemented it for me. Fuck that piece of shit airline.

y3k

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I've flown American in the past few years they try to strand me in Dallas, so I'm starting to take that personally.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
I mostly only fly Delta now. Have had a few connecting flights with American that were fine, but that is really about it. And it's been years since I've been on a Southwest flight or anything else.

Never bothered with United because everyone says they're ass.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Air Canada for me, especially domestic within Canada.

- Horrible flight service unless you sit in business class
- Some of the oldest, dirtiest, most run down ass planes you'll ever sit in. I've sat on business class flights that were so disgustingly filthy that I would actually decline upgrades. The fact that they still fly their piece of shit 30+ year old Boeing 767s is an embarrassment.
- I think it currently has the worst record for delays of any airline in North America
- Suffered through an ELEVEN HOUR DELAY at the airport
- Screens and headphone jacks are regularly non-functional

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
knowing to expect awful doesnt stop it from being awful

somehow when booking tickets i always forget how bad they are and convince myself its worth the 100 dollars saved (just the ticket, it obviously goes down if you dont stay on your toes ie check in incorrectly, dont print your boarding pass etc)

its never worth the 100 dollars

I guess I don't see how it's awful. I hate reclining seats so the fact that they stay upright is a plus for me. Everything else is comparable to other airlines.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
United or US Airways/American Airlines are definitely the worst airlines I've used. They're embarrassingly bad.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
United is so goddamn bad. They charged me $40 per flight just to check my goddamn bags when I went back to Boston for a weekend a couple weeks back and wouldn't even let me bring a carry-on.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I just flew United roundtrip and didn't have any issues personally.

I only fly like once a year though so it's hard to keep track of the shittiest ones tbh.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
It's definitely the airline that has caused me in particular the most inconvenience recently. All of the other airlines that I've never used aren't as bad.

Nov 6, 2017
Flew USA-Seoul on Asiana (a330, a350, a380), Korean Air (777), Hawaiian (a330), and United (787) a good amount of times. Honestly, service wasn't that much different from each other. Guess the crew is better on United 787 flights?...

I have my share of bad experiences with all US domestic carriers. Honestly I used United mainly because they have a direct flight from Denver to Hawaii, and I'm invested in United Miles...

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
My dad has flown for decades and the only time he ever complained about an airline was when he rode with Ryanair.

Also I've never rode with Spirit before but thanks to this thread I never will.