• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which series is the hardest?

• Dark Souls Series

Votes: 150 19.8%
  • Nioh Series

Votes: 384 50.7%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 148 19.5%
  • The Surge Series

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • Code Vein

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Lords of the Fallen

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 61 8.0%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Remember this thread is about which is the "Hardest" not which is your "Favorite".

*Sekiro was excluded as it doesn't mesh as well with the rest of the games in the poll. Which all share a more similar structure.

Nioh-Bloodborne-Dark-Souls-1200x520.jpg

To prevent the poll from listing each game, I decided to limit this by series as from my recollection they all kind of follow the same stylings when it comes to difficulty.
I can't fit everything on there, so if there's an obvious omission or something that should be replaced just let me know and I'll edit it as needed. With that said, I think I've narrowed down the major ones barring any indies the community feels should absolutely be there.

For me personally, I think I would put the Nioh games in the top spot. Once again, this doesn't necessarily mean it's better than the other games here but out of what I've played. Nioh was typically the one I ran into the most trouble with (Even when doing coop). A big factor being that the game mixes the RPG elements with more fast-paced action gameplay. While all the games listed here can be cheesed in some form, Nioh seems to typically make that harder to do so especially on bosses. Though it does run into what is typical of this genre, that if you commit to leveling you can make just about any fight easier on yourself after a point.

I'm hoping to see what others have to say on this topic, as I know this forum has a lot of heavily invested souls-like fans who have likely played more of the titles in this "genre" than I have and have a better gauge of the overall difficulty of all the series presented. Judging difficulty can be anything from beating the main game, DLC, or even just the extra content that leads to 100% completion. Whichever reason you deem a game as the "hardest" is fair game.

prostrate_emote_2yxkml.gif

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all of the ones I've played? Probably the first Nioh. I definitely ran into more trouble with that game than a lot of the others. The sequel was noticeably easier though for me at least.

Definitely not The Surge, it's amazing how easy those games became by the end of the experiences.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
DS

I guess

Played em all. Bloodborne can be tough at times but the quickness of it made it easier. Blades of mercy all the way. Nioh isn't as hard as souls. Nioh 1&2 were never really as difficult.I really don't know. I vote dark souls.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Nioh is fucking bullshit. Played like 15h and never made it to the second proper boss.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Nioh 2 i think is the hardest for me even tho i didnt find Nioh 1 hard, idk why.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I played them all except code vein and my answer is that i legit dont know. Never thought about it, never felt that one was particularly harder than the rest.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played multiple times every FROM souls game, and at least for me Nioh was the hardest. I didn't played it that much because the combat never clicked and I'm not a fan of the "mission" style.
Also, I think that Nioh is more closer to Sekiro than Souls. I can be wrong because I didn't finished Nioh, but it feels more action oriented, like Sekiro (and for me Sekiro is not a Souls games so...)

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is the only one I dropped out of frustration, so probably that one imo .

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Nioh. Liked alot of it, but for some reason it felt like the game wasn't as good at teaching you how to play it like Souls? I just remember playing a bunch of the side missions to try to 'rank up' to beat the second or third boss and eventually I gave up. The irony is I copped Nioh 2 during the recent Black Friday sales, so lets see if the sequel clicks

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is probably the hardest, though also in a way the easiest to "break" due to how many builds you can do.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh, most likely, and also imo the most enjoyable combat-wise.

I got one-shotted so many times by bosses at the higher difficulties.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Should Ninja Gaiden Black be there if Nioh is?

Ninja Gaiden Black came out way before Souls and is nothing like Souls. Nioh obviously takes a lot of the same structures and cues of Souls games and is very much in the Souls-like category. NG and Nioh are little alike outside sharing a lot of the same weapons and stuff of that nature

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It certainly isnt lords of the fallen (way too easy), surge I thought was easy too.

One I liked was ashen (if that counts) and the hardest part for me was the last boss, rest of the game is a breeze.

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
I think Dark souls series if you take your time are not that hard.
Bloodborne was a little bit harder than Souls.
The surge 1 is realy hard, the maze like maps confused me so many times. But the sequel was way easier.
Code vein is the easiest of the bunch.
Overall I think NioH is the hardest series.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Bold prediction time: in the future when you can use save states on these games, people will ask: how did people beat these games in the past? Some old gamer will proceed to pull up the git gud meme at that point.

Deleted member 44122

im surprised nioh is at the top right now. i thought it was one of the easiest souls like series (for the main story at least, havent played any of the dlc)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Nioh, but the first Surge is significantly harder than any of the others, unless you play with the roguelike DLC, where you can get items making it rather easy.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a toss between BB and Dark Souls, but I'm leaning to BB. It's the right mix of some hard bosses, mechanics you need to learn in order to move forward and "unfair" design choices that make it harder. Also, probably the only one that I had an issue with the healing items, for better or worse. I feel that the Nioh series offers more variety in difficulty, but for the "default" difficulty of a first playthrough, it's far, far easier than BB or DS. Demon's Souls was a joke difficulty wise, not even sure why it's there. I haven't played the rest.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Iunno, Dark Souls I guess, just because of some optional stuff?

I maintain that Nioh is way easier because of how ludicrously big your moveset is and the game not adequately being built around all that.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin in the Company of Champions covenant is the hardest game in that style. So, I picked Dark Souls.

Nioh can be really hard with some post-game optional missions, but overall, I think it's more forgiving and also too cheesable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin in the Company of Champions covenant is the hardest game in that style. So, I picked Dark Souls.

Nioh can be really hard with some post-game optional missions, but overall, I think it's more forgiving and also too cheesable.

Eh. While yes if you know what you're doing, Nioh can be easier, if you're someone who's going in blind without much knowledge of the game beforehand, it's really really easy to get stuck.

I think for the average player Nioh will be harder than any Souls game since difficulty I don't think should be determined by how much cheese you can do or not.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For me, Nioh is probably the hardest thus far. I had to put it down quite early because it was killing my enjoyment. lol

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Eh. While yes if you know what you're doing, Nioh can be easier, if you're someone who's going in blind without much knowledge of the game beforehand, it's really really easy to get stuck.
I didn't think it was too bad for my first time. I struggled against Hino-Enma in the beta, true, but other than her and Yuki-Onna, I never really hit a big "wall" outside of the post-game optional missions like those boss rushes or 2v1s.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think it was too bad for my first time. I struggled against Hino-Enma in the beta, true, but other than her and Yuki-Onna, I never really hit a big "wall" outside of the post-game optional missions like those boss rushes or 2v1s.

*shrug*

I've seen a fair number of Dark Souls players who just couldn't get far in Nioh at all due to it's difficulty. Whereas I've never heard of someone playing Nioh and finding Dark Souls hard afterwards.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I finished the first DS and Bloodborne and played Nioh after them...yeah i think its harder. It also have some unexpected difficulty spikes especially in the bosses while the FromSoft games are more balanced in the experience

SJPN

Oct 27, 2017
The difficulty of both Nioh games is very front loaded. It's not so much a difficulty curve as a wall to climb. Really brutal. As the games progress and your stats, weapons and armour improves, it becomes increasingly easier as the games go on.

The Souls games have peaks and troughs throughout, but nothing as crushing as the opening to either Niohs.

Deleted member 44122

I haven't played Nioh 2. But Nioh 1 is one of the easiest Souls-like games out there.
nioh 2 is a bit harder but i agree with nioh 1. i beat most of the bosses on the first try in that game (90% at least), picking a fast weapon and slowing the enemies down makes the game way too easy

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Nioh, but the first Surge is significantly harder than any of the others, unless you play with the roguelike DLC, where you can get items making it rather easy.

Surge is just janky as hell though, which adds to the difficulty and not in a good way.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Is sekiro excluded because clearly the hardest ?
I think it's status as a Souls-like is sort of debated. Like obviously it has some elements but maybe not enough?

But it also might be the hardest too as well.

A bit of both.
Excluded since it would likely win as being the hardest, along with it just being a relatively different experience.
The lack of coop (Even though Surge and Fallen don't have it either) and no real RPG aspects you can use to brute force past things ended up being the main reason why. Since even though Nioh is more of an action game, the RPG aspect is still there to buff your character, while in Sekiro you're limited to just the skill tree that doesn't really buff your character per se.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Nioh 2 is probably the hardest that I've played. I really liked it but I returned it to Gamefly to get GoT.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found Nioh 2 to be a generally easier experience because of the added abilities and combat options you have in the sequel. Things like the Burst Counter move or being able to use Yokai abilities in combat, some of those abilities being pretty powerful and capable of decimating enemy/boss health and Ki, really helped to make the overall experience (including both main and side missions) more forgiving than the first game.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Several of those aren't series though. A single game does not make a series.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Since I find Sekiro to be by far the easiest Soulslike it would be excluded from the start for me.
I would probably say Bloodborne was the hardest to finish but as a whole Nioh was much harder as a game to an extent I basically dropped out of the game about 30% in. I suck at making builds in RPGs and handling stuff like weight so yeah regular Souls bar Bloodborne and Sekiro are hard to grab my interest.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I've played all those games solo, except for Lords of the Fallen and Demon's Souls and I would rate the difficulty as

Nioh 1 > Nioh 2 > DS3 > BB > DSR > Surge > CV > DS2

This is also my preference of the games except that I would put Surge at last place. It was just hard but felt most like work.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Only played Dark Souls, DeS, Nioh 1 and Lords of the Fallen. The only one I really had trouble with was Dark Souls 1, Nioh had some bullshit Dark Souls 2 giant targeting issues with a boss or 2 (I stopped playing for the day when the boss on the ship's animation showed him throwing his ball infront of him, so I dodged behind..the animation played out as normal, but the ball flew backwards through his own model to hit me.).

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
Nioh is king on this since Sekiro wasn't added. Hell Nioh might be tougher if you do include Sekiro, haha.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
A bit of both.
Excluded since it would likely win as being the hardest, along with it just being a relatively different experience.
The lack of coop (Even though Surge and Fallen don't have it either) and no real RPG aspects you can use to brute force past things ended up being the main reason why. Since even though Nioh is more of an action game, the RPG aspect is still there to buff your character, while in Sekiro you're limited to just the skill tree that doesn't really buff your character per se.
I actually find Sekiro's pure hack and slash gameplay much easier and more easily accessible than the countless builds you can make in other Souls, some of them way less viable than others. But I can understand that, hack and Slashes and fast gameplay as a whole aren't easy for everyone