• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better game? Nier Automata or Final Fantasy 7 Remake?

• Nier Automata

Votes: 664 54.2%
  • Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Votes: 440 35.9%
  • Both are equal

Votes: 73 6.0%
  • Haven't played either

Votes: 48 3.9%

• Total voters

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Both games are highly acclaimed and are action RPGs, I feel it would be good to compare them.

I am of the opinion that FF7R is a better game in every way. Here is how I would compare them:

Graphics FF7R ==== Nier Automata

Gameplay FF7R >>>>Nier Automata (Having a variety of characters to play with and strategic ATB system. Nier has faster gameplay but a spammable dodge and item usage.

Boss Fights FF7R >>>> Nier Automata (FF7R Has more boss fights and is more challenging)

Length FF7R >>>> Nier Automata (Even if you count doing all the endings in Nier Automata)

Sound Design FF7R ==== Nier Automata (Both have incredible sound designs, you could argue for either one)

Story FF7R >>>> Nier Automata (FF7R has a more fleshed out and timeless story with less hurdles to see the full picture)

Control FF7R ==== Nier

World FF7R >>>> Nier Automata (FF7R has many more locations while Nier has you replay the same areas)

So yeah, FF7R definitely is the winner for sure IMO.

Both are definitely amazing games but I feel Nier Automata is slightly overrated on these boards.

WINNER

How-To-Change-Characters-In-Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-1-1280x720.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
they are wildly different games to be with the only commonality that I find between them is that they are JRPGs and have a beautiful soundtracks. both are perfect in their own right.

Oct 25, 2017
Random but sure. Both have pretty great narratives, of which I would give Nier the edge, but I would much rather play Ffvii. So that.

Grindlefly

Oct 26, 2017
If FF7R had been the whole game I would agree. FF7R beats Nier in graphics, soundtrack, boss fights and world.

Nier Automata wins in gameplay, story, length, and control

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
strange comparison, and I don't love either. Nier for me and it isn't close.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How is FFVIIR's story timeless? FFVII's story is timeless, not VIIR's. You're acting as though all the parts have came out already

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
What a strange and awkwardly forced feeling comparison. You're allowed to like FFVIIR on its own merits y'know. Other people liking Nier Automata doesn't make your own like of FFVIIR less valid.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Definitely Nier Automata. FF7R was very good but we are comparing a full game with multiple playthroughs with a first chapter of a series of games. Btw Nier Automata is way better written.

Oct 25, 2017
Giving FF7R points for it's length is hilarious to me.

It takes longer to beat this retold opening section of an old game than it does to beat this other game multiple times. And that's a GOOD thing according to you.

I'm also under the camp of why this comparison.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Strange comparison but Nier Automata easily wins it for me.

FF7 has the better graphics and maybe gameplay, but Automata has, by far, the better story, soundtrack, boss fights and impact. When I finished FF7, I thought it was pretty damn good but the story decisions left me in doubt for the future. When I finished Automata, that game had a massive impact on me and stayed with me for months. Even to this day the game is among my favourite of all time.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
"World FF7R >>>> Nier Automata (FF7R has many more locations while Nier has you replay the same areas) "
what???
even this comparison is weird, you comapred the world?

Oct 27, 2017
Nier>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is so much better it is not even funny. The story in Nier is paced really well, the level design is on another level (sure it is not as good as other games but it is way better than those boring linear dungeons with the weird platforming and all the slow walking all the time in FF7R) it also does gimmicks way better than FF7 (those hand "puzzles" and the weird platforming sucked). I also love the music and story of Nier way more.

Only think I will give FF7 is the combat being great and the female characters having less sexualized outfits.

Edit: Forgot to mention graphics, FF7 wins in that department as well.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Nier: Automata has cringe, generic character design (2B) and weird top-down gameplay. I played the demo and it gave me no interest in trying the full game. Gonna give this one to FF7R.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Strange comparison.

Got bored of FFVIIR 10 hours in and have no interest in returning to it. Just felt like going through the motions.

On the other hand Nier Automata is one of my favourite games of all time, and I'd gladly experience it all again.
Exactly how i felt. The cutscenes and the boss fights were the only things about FF7R imo. Everything else was such a slog and a bore. With nier I didn't want to put the controller down

OP
OP
Richardbro

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What a strange and awkwardly forced feeling comparison. You're allowed to like FFVIIR on its own merits y'know. Other people liking Nier Automata doesn't make your own like of FFVIIR less valid.

I very much enjoy Nier, but they are some of the 2 best action JRPGS this gen and I find them good to compare.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
NieR Automata is a much better game than the part 1 of a larger narrative. One has a conclusive arc, one is reliant on a story that hasn't happened yet.
NieR is also not pathetically linear and padded to high heavens. You actually have good side quests in NieR

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As a whole Nier Automata is better then FF7R part 1

Just comparing part 1 to route A of Automata then FF7R part 1 is better

Both are amazing and worth playing

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I am a huge Final Fantasy fanboy, have played all of them multiple times and literally have framed Final Fantasy famicom carts on my games room wall. I adore Final Fantasy.

Nier Automata is better than FF7R and one of the best games of this whole generation.

Oct 25, 2017
"FF7R has a more fleshed out and timeless story with less hurdles to see the full picture"

Full picture meaning what exactly here ...

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
How can you say the story is better in FFR7? It straight up sucks and so do the characters. Nier Automata has actual themes and uses the medium pretty good to deliver its message.

Also the lenght of the games are not a plus. FF7R and Nier Automata are the worst paced AAA I've played.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nier Automata was amazing. I couldn't even get through 5 hours of FF7R before I was bored of it.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata has its problem but its probably the most clever game design and narrative desgin in AAA this gen.

FF7 Remake is a complete failure at all levels, both level design, narration, pacing, combat...

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
It's Nier, it is not a remake first of all, that already has it over FF7R. It is also a very innovative game, it did things for me that no other games has

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Nier I think. It feels more complete and while the B route stuff is annoying it never felt like it was trying to waste your time as hard as most of everything you do in FFVII remake, which is hilarious to consider really.

But FFVII plays way better.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
But regardless of my opinion of Nier A being better ... I dunno why we need to put down over the other. They are even from the same company!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, one of those you can just finish once to get the full experience... So it's FF7 for me.