• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which version of Tetris is the best one?

• Gameboy Tetris / Tetris DX / NES Tetris - let's call it "barebones Tetris"

Votes: 170 20.7%
  • Tetris Attack - AKA yes it's not Tetris but Nintendo hasn't made another Panel de Pon yet

Votes: 28 3.4%
  • Tetris DS

Votes: 195 23.8%
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris

Votes: 132 16.1%
  • Tetris Effect

Votes: 295 36.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
You can't put Tetris Attack on the poll because it's obviously that one. :p

But besides that, I haven't played Tetris DS for more than a really fun half hour, or Tetris Effect at all, so I would say Puyo Puyo Tetris. Great game with great music, and playing it on the Switch where you can see the screen of the CPU players makes it a top tier portable experience.

May 5, 2018
Tetris DS gets my vote. Spent so many hours playing the different modes in DS and the mix of Tetris with Nintendo's NES library is super charming.

Although Tetris Battle Gaiden might be the most underrated Tetris of them all:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Tetris effect is a 9.5/10 game for me, but if it had online multiplayer, it would not just be the GOAT Tetris game, it would be in my top 15 all time.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
tetrisparty-logo_728x728.jpg

The one that isn't on here. I played so much of this game on Wii.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I have a soft spot for Puyo Puyo Tetris but not necessarily because of how good it is (although it is very very VERY good) but solely for the fact that it allowed me and my puyo friends to play together.
We still often do.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
My two favorites are The New Tetris on N64 and Tetris DS. Haven't played Tetris Effect yet, plan on getting it for PSVR.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Tetris arcade, sometimes I go on holiday I still play it in a small seaside town in the UK. Microswitches FTW!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I voted Tetris DS because Tetris Effect feels like too much garnish. I like my Tetris to be about Tetris and less about the wallpaper.

I have a special place in my heart for Tetris DX. The fantastic suspend/resume of DX let me play one Marathon session over train journeys for a whole week, even when I powered down the GB or played other games. I'm still holding out for game specific suspend becoming standard.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris, because it also has Puyo, and it is a really great family multiplayer game

lee n

Oct 26, 2017
The nice thing about the TGM series is it isn't just all crazy hard stuff like shirase either. There's definitely room to grow in the games, and you don't need to already be great at tetris to start out.
Arguably, Shirase is the easiest mode in TGM3 to get good at. The other modes are deceptively difficult, Shirase is more "what you see is what you get".

Like, Easy mode requires some crazy stacking to rack up hanabi.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably, Shirase is the easiest mode in TGM3 to get good at. The other modes are deceptively difficult, Shirase is more "what you see is what you get".

Like, Easy mode requires some crazy stacking to rack up hanabi.

Easy is weird how intense it gets when you're going for a high score.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
What's your definition of "get good" here?

The speed at level 1200+ is near the limit of what is possible to actually play. Pieces take only 8 frames to lock into place at that point. It's never actually been cleared during a live GDQ run. Even the literal best players in the world have difficulty completing it consistently.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
PPT is great and gets my vote. I won't knock the people voting for Tetris DS (it's a good tetris game and full of charm) and on some level represents the game that something like Tetris Worlds wanted to be. I will glare strongly at the OP for not putting any sort of TGM entry into the poll.

NES Tetris is interesting to watch but I don't like how the piece selection is set up and I hear that the really high-level play will absolutely ruin your hand.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
NES Tetris is interesting to watch but I don't like how the piece selection is set up and I hear that the really high-level play will absolutely ruin your hand.
As impressive as the most recent CTWC was, I'm actually a little dismayed that hyper-tapping has ended up being as important as it is in the end. It's just physically unenjoyable to play that way IMO.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
As impressive as the most recent CTWC was, I'm actually a little dismayed that hyper-tapping has ended up being as important as it is in the end. It's just physically unenjoyable to play that way IMO.
This is something that isn't good I don't think. I mean Jonas has performed very well over the years just using DAS and still does without using hypertapping. I've noticed a lot of people getting in to it around the places I hang around wanting to learn how to do it. I don't believe a lot of people realize the health risks that can come with it though.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I was watching KevinDDR streaming some T99 last night and he mentioned that was one of the biggest reasons he doesn't do classic Tetris, aside from the fact that CTWC is basically the only event for it and while it has notoriety and press coverage it's still pretty small in terms of prize winnings. On top of that apparently the hypertapping is destroying Joseph Saelee's hand?

Also while the PC speaker soundtrack has aged terribly, for me the OG is the DOS Zentris, which is about as close to the Sega Tetris scheme as you could get back in the day without spending thousands.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really can't vote without TGM being on the poll, especially with Panel de Pon and PPT present. Gotta abstain.

TGM3 really is something magical. It's pretty much the only straightforward version of Tetris I ever see myself playing, barring really wild non-standard upsides like the aesthetics of Tetris Effect or the multiplayer of Tetris 99.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris Effect in VR really blew me away. Did not expect to have a Tetris game make me feel things.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Tetris Effect is the best version of Tetris, but it will be the one I go to most often for the next 10-20 years (unless we get a sequel). I do still really love Tetris DS though.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I think this thread has convinced me to buy Tetris DS. My 3DS is still used regularly, so I think I'll give it a go.

I forgot: DS games aren't on the eshop, right? I'll have to hunt down a physical copy?