• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is more popular?

• Street Fighter

Votes: 344 24.2%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 998 70.3%
  • Shaq Fu

Votes: 78 5.5%

• Total voters

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
thats a tough fight, while street fighter 2 arcade was everwhere at the time, including pubs, the mortal kombat polemic in the 90's was well known.
Street fighter had a movie with vandame, but the mortal kombat movie got famous too especialy the music
street fighter had superior animes and it was pretty popular

hmmmmmm

Good thing the thread title says 'these days', eh?

it's Mortal Kombat by a long shot.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is that even a question when Mortal Kombat games sell double to triple than Street Fighter?
Because maybe MK sales are concentrated in one region and so worldwide SF is bigger and more popular. Also one selling more does not mean it is most well known or more popular than the other, since people who don't buy games at all may still recognize and like one of the franchises more thanks to movies, cameos, pop culture references, costumes, arcades, whatever they played when back then and so on.

That said, I also think it's Mortal Kombat.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
One actually sells and has casual market appeal.

one actually has had several Hollywood movies
The other had an atrocity of a film.

it's a question people already knew the answer to.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter is but a shadow of its former self while Mortal Kombat has been able to stay in the mind of people across the decades.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow really surprised MK is popular for some reason. I never knew it was a mainstream series. I guess I'm in a bubble.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wow really surprised MK is popular for some reason. I never knew it was a mainstream series. I guess I'm in a bubble.
I might be wrong, but I feel like in the US at least MK was always more popular after MK2.

Me and my best friend preferred SF2 but in the arcades, at least where I lived, MK was way more popular until 3D fighters took over.

Currently I agree with most of the posts that MK is way more popular (in the US at least) currently.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
MK not being sold in Asia doesn't mean it's only popular in the US. Does SF sell better than MK in Latin America and Europe? I don't think that's the case.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I feel like MK was more popular in the US once MK1 came out in arcades.

"oh we could kill our opponents?"
it kept the street fighter cabinet lines very short.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah I'm in the UK and I know multiple people who play SF or Tekken but not a single one who's even ever talked about owning MK.

Im in the UK and most friends I know who are casual gamers know and buy MK. Most either don't like/have not heard of street fighter.

I feel like there is a generational gap here as well with some people in this thread. Also the bizarre 'MK only matters in the US'. I'm sure if you broke it down by region MK outsells street fighter In most continents barring Asia.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Mortal Kombat by far in Brazil. Street fighter is popular too among older people who played Street Fighter 2 at its peak, but MK skews younger and have a somewhat broader appeal (maybe because of the violence).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I might be wrong, but I feel like in the US at least MK was always more popular after MK2.

Me and my best friend preferred SF2 but in the arcades, at least where I lived, MK was way more popular until 3D fighters took over.

Currently I agree with most of the posts that MK is way more popular (in the US at least) currently.

MK had a chance to overtake SF in popularity after MKII, and it arguably did briefly. People were getting tired of SFII updates after it peaked with Hyper Fighting in 1992. The original MK was a novelty, but MKII felt so mysterious and defiant in 1993.

Then the movies came out. Street Fighter in 1994 and Mortal Kombat in 1995. They both performed similarly at the box office but MK made more money. And both were critically panned, but I think MK was more of the crowd favorite.

Mortal Kombat lost all momentum with MK3 though. A major disappointment at the time. UMK3 was much better received by hardcore fans, but it was too little too late for the general public.

Street Fighter bounced back that year with Street Fighter Alpha. A breath of fresh air after years of SFII. And while the live-action Street Fighter movie wasn't well received, the animated movie and Street Fighter II V were acclaimed.

By the time X-Men vs. Street Fighter hit arcades in 1996, MK was honestly an after thought. Never mind Street Fighter Alpha 2 the same year, one of the best fighting games of all time. Street Fighter wasn't competing with MK anymore, it was competing with Tekken. Mortal Kombat wouldn't be seen as a genuine SF competitor again until MK9.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Anecdotal I admit but I never heard anyone talking about SF like the do MK. Even my non gaming family and friends are pretty hyped for the new movie. I think SF is more popular in the FGC but MK has a much wider reach

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the breakdown of NA sales versus the rest of the world for Mortal Kombat? because looking at some old PAL threads, MK topped charts when it released

Feb 9, 2018
These days? Mortal Kombat, no question. It has grown in popularity over the past decade and had its two best-selling entries to date on Gen 8 consoles, while Street Fighter declined in popularity this past generation. MKX has sold 11 million copies and MK11 has sold 8 million so far. Meanwhile, Street Fighter V has sold only about 5 million. In Gen 7 Street Fighter was ahead, with SFIV selling 9 million and MK9 selling only 6 million (and was itself the best-selling MK game ever at the time).

Now, that's just commercial performance of individual games, mind you. If you want to use other metrics for success, I can't help you.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
MK had a chance to overtake SF in popularity after MKII, and it arguably did briefly. People were getting tired of SFII updates after it peaked with Hyper Fighting in 1992. The original MK was a novelty, but MKII felt so mysterious and defiant in 1993.

Then the movies came out. Street Fighter in 1994 and Mortal Kombat in 1995. They both performed similarly at the box office but MK made more money. And both were critically panned, but I think MK was more of the crowd favorite.

Mortal Kombat lost all momentum with MK3 though. A major disappointment at the time. UMK3 was much better received by hardcore fans, but it was too little too late for the general public.

Street Fighter bounced back that year with Street Fighter Alpha. A breath of fresh air after years of SFII. And while the live-action Street Fighter movie wasn't well received, the animated movie and Street Fighter II V were acclaimed.

By the time X-Men vs. Street Fighter hit arcades in 1996, MK was honestly an after thought. Never mind Street Fighter Alpha 2 the same year, one of the best fighting games of all time. Street Fighter wasn't competing with MK anymore, it was competing with Tekken. Mortal Kombat wouldn't be seen as a genuine SF competitor again until MK9.

These games like MK3, Trilogy, MK4, the PS2 era games were selling millions of copies. I am skeptical any Street Fighter was out selling them. Trilogy has to be one of the best selling fighting games in that generation.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
These games like MK3, Trilogy, MK4, the PS2 era games were selling millions of copies. I am skeptical any Street Fighter was out selling them. Trilogy has to be one of the best selling fighting games in that generation.

Mortal Kombat's parent company went bankrupt. Midway Games doesn't exist anymore. Mortal Kombat's very existence was up in the air until Time Warner stepped in and threw big corporate dollars into creating NRS.

The first game with that big international conglomerate budget was MK9, a game that sold less than Street Fighter IV despite coming two full years after the fighting game renaissance that SFIV started (a renaissance that allowed MK9 to thrive in the first place). That game's story mode sowed the seed for MK's prominence today, however.

Let us not revise history in this thread. For the general public, MK faded out of relevance after 1995 and didn't return to relevance until the 2010s. Street Fighter also faded out of relevance for a while, but its fade lasted about 10 years instead of over 15.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat since the original came out no question about it. And it's only broadened its appeal.

People cared less about Street Fighter 3 and EX than they did about the 3D MK clunkers. Deception actually got good scores somehow.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
We literally have global sales data that says MK is waaaay more popular nowadays. Even if MK is not relevant in Japan, that doesn't mean shit because the worldwide sales are not even close. It's not like SF lights up the sales charts in Japan either.

MikeMyers

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Mortal Kombat's parent company went bankrupt. Midway Games doesn't exist anymore. Mortal Kombat's very existence was up in the air until Time Warner stepped in and threw big corporate dollars into creating NRS.

The first game with that big international conglomerate budget was MK9, a game that sold less than Street Fighter IV despite coming two full years after the fighting game renaissance that SFIV started (a renaissance that allowed MK9 to thrive in the first place). That game's story mode sowed the seed for MK's prominence today, however.

Let us not revise history in this thread. For the general public, MK faded out of relevance after 1995 and didn't return to relevance until the 2010s. Street Fighter also faded out of relevance for a while, but its fade lasted about 10 years instead of over 15.

The Magic Box - US Platinum Chart Games.

The Magic Box - US Platinum Chart Games.

US sales from 1995 to 2007. MK appears several times while SF doesnt appear once.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
Once again seeing how the US is the largest video game market that didn't ban MK (China banned MK along with Japan and some other countries). The bulk of sales would be coming from the US first of possibly Canada and maybe Mexico. 2nd the UK and EU wouldn't even amount to a full percentage of MK sales due to the fact that if you follow UK sales in general those number are typically not that high to begin with even by comparison. Japan being the third largest market for video games banned the game so you can get a general idea where these games sold the most in over all. Australia and South Korea also banned the game so there is another market lost right there and then. Plus if you considered the fact the game was partially banned in German the distribution and sale numbers are smaller than what most people think. Even if the game was number one in the UK at it's time of release and was in the PSN top 20 most downloaded games those numbers are still smaller than North Americas. Street fighter the game itself may have fallen off in regards thanks to some mismanagement throughout the last few years but the characters are still world wide recognized for the most part. Ryu has been in like a ridiculous amount of cross overs and is still relevant to this day. The Bulk of the fan base for MK is in the US to begin with and if we go by percentages in regards to amount of people who buy games over all the US percentage skews that quite hard. I am sure MK is well known in other countries as well but when you factor the sheer amount of people who bought here in the US it totally Skews that percentage. It'd be like if China jumped into the fray and was like "Hey insert game here is more popular than these are because we have the people numbers to back it up. "

(Once again I love the attention MK has gotten as it's my favorite fighting game aside from like SNK stuff, and Darkstalkers, but I can't deny street fighters legacy)

www.statista.com

Top gaming countries by revenue 2022 | Statista

The United States, China, and Japan are the biggest gaming markets worldwide. The gap to the next-ranked gaming market, South Korea, is almost 18 billion USD.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Chun Li and Ryu might be riding the coattails of their SF2 fame but the MK Ninjas are not far behind. As an entire franchise, its no contest: MK by leaps and bounds.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

I don't think this is true man. MK was not the cause of Midway's fall. If anything, MK was their only franchise keeping them afloat. Mk fell from it's height, but it really never went away and kept selling solid. I thought all those PS2 era games were shit, but they still sold, which warranted new constant new releases. These sold. More than Street Fighter. SF interest did not warrant this amount of new games (or Capcom was ignorant or hesitant to try) in this time period.

Just look at the releases of the main line stuff.
92, 93, 95, 96, 97 for the up to Mk4 era. Then DA in 02, Deception in 04, Monks in 05, Armageddon in 06, MKvsDC in 08, then the 3 years to MK9/WB era in '11. Then it really blew up again. Cause WB knew what they had and invested bigger.

The MK ninjas are popular and people know about them.

I am not even a MK guy, but the casual gamers I know, when they reference Mortal kombat, they are talking about the new games for the most part (which makes sense, they have sold a bunch). When referencing SF, it's always seems it's the memories of SF2 era (when it was fucking huge). This is why Capcom always dips into the nostalgia well.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is true man. MK had nothing to do with Midway's fall. If anything, MK was their only franchise keeping them afloat. Mk fell from it's height, but it really never went away and kept selling solid. I thought all those PS2 era games were shit, but they still sold, which warranted new constant new releases. These sold. More than Street Fighter. SF interest did not warrant this amount of new games (or Capcom was ignorant or hesitant to try) in this time period.

Just look at the releases of the main line stuff.
92, 93, 95, 96, 97 for the up to Mk4 era. Then DA in 02, Deception in 04, Monks in 05, Armageddon in 06, MKvsDC in 08, then the 3 years to MK9/WB era.

I'm not saying MK is the reason for Midway's demise. I know they were the only thing keeping the company afloat (NBA Jam, RIP). I'm just saying MK was not at its MK2 height in the late 90s and the first decade of the 2000s.

Street Fighter also wasn't at its SFII peak, but it continued to dominate arcades until they died in the West in the early 2000s. The home market was never SF's primary business, despite selling gangbusters on 16-bit consoles. And this was doubly true in the mid to late 90s, when Capcom barely bothered porting SF to consoles not made by Sega.

This is why I maintain that Tekken was SF's true competition in this period. Tekken was COLOSSAL at home (thanks to the rise of PlayStation) AND huge at the arcade. Capcom's neglect of the home market sidelined Street Fighter for a decade after arcades went away.

Oct 25, 2017
MK has two things that sell it that SF doesn't. A massive budget and the cheese factor (excessive gore). One of these SF could easily have if Capcom put a little more faith in the brand, but the other will just never happen and will probably be the reason MK will stay on top until people get bored of fatalities (very unlikely).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel than in all America (That's it, from Canada to Chile) Mortal Kombat has been more popular since the 90's.

I don't know if Scorpion or Sub Zero are more iconic than Ryu though although I guess that Ryu (and Chun Li for the matter) have the advantage that their IP doesn't have any controversies or problematic themes to the level than MK has so is easier to plaster them in crossovers and merchandising

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MK has two things that sell it that SF doesn't. A massive budget and the cheese factor (excessive gore). One of these SF could easily have if Capcom put a little more faith in the brand, but the other will just never happen and will probably be the reason MK will stay on top until people get bored of fatalities (very unlikely).

Capcom can't compete with MK in the budget department. MK has ATT money. ATT has a whole streaming platform, HBO Max, to promote Mortal Kombat. That movie is streaming at home this April and good or bad it will raise MK's profile some more because everybody will see it, because what else are we going to do while being stuck at home.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
dab2d9fff7c2766c5fc28f5f1886d777a1653ee0r1-500-338_hq.gif

Love both, but when push comes to shove I'm a Mortal Kombat fan. Lived it. Breathed it. Routinely pose my Sub-Zero desk figure into new stances. Making snowballs and pretending I'm a cyromancer. Randomly saying "flawless victory" to myself on the drive home. Etc.

I think Street Fighter has a bit more mainstream potential and definitely a more dedicated hardcore following, but Mortal Kombat in general just has a bigger overall mindshare and more of a blockbuster presence.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom can't compete with MK in the budget department. MK has ATT money. ATT has a whole streaming platform, HBO Max, to promote Mortal Kombat. That movie is streaming at home this April and good or bad it will raise MK's profile some more because everybody will see it, because what else are we going to do while being stuck at home.
Budget is not really relative. I'm not saying a new SF game should cost billions of dollars, but MK games, even if they suffer from crunch, look and feel like blockbuster triple-A games with plenty of funding and time spent on them. Monster Hunter World was Capcom just shoveling money at MH to see how it would do and that's the best selling Capcom game in history, even if you counted every version of SFII as one SKU. RE7 is Capcom putting time and money into that game to remove it from the association it had during RE5/6 and now the series is as big as it was in the PSX era, if not more-so. Capcom doesn't need to match the budget of MK to compete with it, they just need to treat SF like the triple-A fighter it should be and it will rise. SFIV proves SF can be a 10+ million seller, maybe not as fast as MK but certainly better than FighterZ or Tekken or any other fighting game in the way.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Budget is not really relative. I'm not saying a new SF game should cost billions of dollars, but MK games, even if they suffer from crunch, look and feel like blockbuster triple-A games with plenty of funding and time spent on them. Monster Hunter World was Capcom just shoveling money at MH to see how it would do and that's the best selling Capcom game in history, even if you counted every version of SFII as one SKU. RE7 is Capcom putting time and money into that game to remove it from the association it had during RE5/6 and now the series is as big as it was in the PSX era, if not more-so. Capcom doesn't need to match the budget of MK to compete with it, they just need to treat SF like the triple-A fighter it should be and it will rise. SFIV proves SF can be a 10+ million seller, maybe not as fast as MK but certainly better than FighterZ or Tekken or any other fighting game in the way.

No disagreement from me there. They can and should put genuine AAA money behind SF. It's probably the best investment they could make since SF habitually retains players and generates revenue for over five years.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, in the non western country Brazil the rule is

KOF > MK >>>> SF

And i say this as someone who prefers a good SF like alpha 3

Funnily enough, Street Fighter content is currently being teased for Fortnite. Looks like Ryu is coming, and I bet Chun is too.

It is interesting how MK keeps getting bigger even if being Rated R stops it from having collaborations like this one

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not saying MK is the reason for Midway's demise. I know they were the only thing keeping the company afloat (NBA Jam, RIP). I'm just saying MK was not at its MK2 height in the late 90s and the first decade of the 2000s.

Street Fighter also wasn't at its SFII peak, but it continued to dominate arcades until they died in the West in the early 2000s. The home market was never SF's primary business, despite selling gangbusters on 16-bit consoles. And this was doubly true in the mid to late 90s, when Capcom barely bothered porting SF to consoles not made by Sega.

This is why I maintain that Tekken was SF's true competition in this period. Tekken was COLOSSAL at home (thanks to the rise of PlayStation) AND huge at the arcade. Capcom's neglect of the home market sidelined Street Fighter for a decade after arcades went away.

I mean, I agree with this. SF nor MK have reached their 90's peaks, But nowadays, MK is way closer than SF to that. Capcom did blow it cultivating the console market scene and Tekken ate their lunch. In my area, Tekken overtook SF in the arcades, and of course Tekken sold alot on home consoles.

I don't think SF need ATT money, it needs RE or MH level money. Capcom has thrown the budgets on those series and has seen the positive results.

They have seen what WB/NRS has done with MK and the budget/time they have given it and the quality/financial rewards that came. idk if they don't believe the SF franchise can do that with a higher budget that what they give it currently, or don't think their fighting game dev teams will live up to the budget? idk.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It is interesting how MK keeps getting bigger even if being Rated R stops it from having collaborations like this one

It ain't hard to tell. MK fills that Deadpool/Logan void among Rated T for Teen fighting games. It's why I maintain MK is bigger among core gamers (a couple rounds of MK11 pairs well with CoD: Warzone) but Street Fighter is more in the pop-cultural mainstream.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
This last generation even got me, a huge street fighter fan so annoyed with that exclusivity, that I didn't buy it until years after release and then on PC where I barely play it.

Meanwhile I bought MK 11 day one and all the dlc when it comes out.

Street fighter sort of niched itself a bit.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in the non western country Brazil the rule is

KOF > MK >>>> SF

And i say this as someone who prefers a good SF like alpha 3

B/c God of War is so PG