• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is more popular?

• Street Fighter

Votes: 344 24.2%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 998 70.3%
  • Shaq Fu

Votes: 78 5.5%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's Mortal Kombat. I've grown up with both and I still prefer Street Fighter. SF2 (Turbo) is the greatest fighting game in history in my opinion.

What do you think?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I agree that SF2 is the greatest and most influential fighting game ever, but in 2021, Mortal Kombat is winning the popularity contest by far.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Street fighter easily.

Mortal kombat has little to no presence in japan

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is the biggest fighting game series of all time. Not even debatable.

Its tournament scene dwindles more quickly, but yeah.

Billy Awesomo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
New York, New York
I think Sales wise MK has been selling more so than Street Fighter? At least that seems to be the case here in the states. As far as Popularity wise I feel like Street fighter has a much larger fanbase world wide vs MK. (Personally I like MK better)

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat by a very large margin.

Street Fighter is getting more and more niche as years go by, unfortunately. The only thing it has over MK is a bigger core audience, higher entrants and viewers as far as tournaments go.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Mortal Kombat sells more and its guest characters have more universal appeal.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think Sales wise MK has been selling more so than Street Fighter? At least that seems to be the case here in the states. As far as Popularity wise I feel like Street fighter has a much larger fanbase world wide vs MK.
Does it though?

Maybe historically, but right now MK is way more popular.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
As a Franchise? MK

As an active game? SF5

MK sells like gangbusters at initial release and with each major milestones (GOTY editions, etc) because the story mode and characters are more fun for casual gamers to noodle around with for 10-15 hours before they decide they never want to play it again. But longevity wise, MK games (and injustice games) have suffered a lot for a lot of different reasons.

But MK is a franchise that does well despite it's whales. MK does not need the FGC to survive, and it's been really great watching Netherrealm try to improve themselves while knowing that. They could have easily gone the easy road and continued to shit out mediocre products year over year, but they are at least trying to move things forward as far as rollback netcode, tournament modes and community fostering are concerned. They just fumble every time they go to great lengths to convert casual gamers into invested gamers.

Last edited:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I feel like MK has become this mainstream thing everyone and their mother know or at least heard about in the last years. And the production value of MK10 and 11 is through the roof for a fighting game, it`s like the only triple-A fighting game out there. Street Fighter is a classic and gameplay-wise I still prefer it, but MK is just more popular, imo.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Street Fighter, but Mortal Kombat is by far more popular these days. It's not even a competition.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Theres probably a big difference in popularity between western and eastern audiences for these games.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat has always been better in every way.

Street Fighter is cool too. I guess.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Mortal Kombat...by a LOT, at least in the western market and especially the US.

I love Street Fighter, but MK has experienced a resurgence ever since the release of 9 that SF just hasn't been able to replicate.

Lewpop

Dec 10, 2020
Has to be MK. I think things like reaction videos have somewhat retained MK's pop culture appeal, purely due to shock value. Not sure SF has much of a presence outside the FGC at this point.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WW? Street Fighter as a brand. USA? Mortal Kombat as a brand and game.
Regarding people who play games? Mortal Kombat.
The fighting community? Street Fighter.

What game WW? Dunno, KoF in Brazil, Tekken in Asia, maybe there isn't one ubiquitous fighting game 🤔
Except for Super Smash :v

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
MK. SF messed up when it dropped a bad game and went the PS exclusive route

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
The FGC will always suck Capcom's toes and be allergic to every NRS game, but MK is far more popular outside of enthusiast circles. Not even close.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
FGC, Street Fighter
General public, Mortal Kombat (America for sure, though its lack of presence in Japan should be noted)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Smash > Mortal Kombat >>>> Grand Canyon >>> Street Fighter

Saddly
What's so sad about it? Neverrealm put a lot of effort into making MK a full package.

SFV launched a horrific state and took years just to have be an interesting casual SP experience.

Capcom went way too hard the FGC route IMO.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What's so sad about it? Neverrealm put a lot of effort into making MK a full package.

SFV launched a horrific state and took years just to have be an interesting casual SP experience.

Capcom went way too hard the FGC route IMO.

Sad because SF deserved better but Capcom saw the fgc and was like "i am never expanding this audience" =/

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In the FGC and Asia, SF. The rest of the world, MK. And SF is not even number 2.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I prefer Street Fighter (I hate the MK controls and only put up with them for the story mode) but MK is definitely the most popular and it's not even close.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
MK is bigger overall but it feels like SF is more "culturally important" outside of just being the bigger game in the FGC as well. I feel like I see way more Street Fighter references in popular media.

Sardello

Oct 30, 2017
I'm quite surprised about all the answers. Are Scorpio and Sub-zero more Popular than Ruy and Chun Li?
Which audience we are referring to? I think that in terms of "Brand Popularity" also considering non gamer, SF is easier to be recognized.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
thats a tough fight, while street fighter 2 arcade was everwhere at the time, including pubs, the mortal kombat polemic in the 90's was well known.
Street fighter had a movie with vandame, but the mortal kombat movie got famous too especialy the music
street fighter had superior animes and it was pretty popular

hmmmmmm

Oct 30, 2017
Mortal Kombat easily.

It's crazy how massive production values the games get and sell like probably in release month more than what SFV did life time.

The state SFV released in was awful and did a lot of damage. It's so much better now but MK have already released X and XI since then with both selling millions and millions each.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Mortal Kombat, and its not close.

And I say that as someone who has Third Strike as their top fighting game of all time, Mortal Kombat is just a global sales juggernaut.