• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ch4534532

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
In reality, if the average person is playing in the NBA, they are 100% not getting defended any where outside the arc. The opposing team would play defense 5-4 and would absolutely live with you chucking up threes at even a very generous 15% chance of it going in. If it was a normal game, they would see you with the ball and let you jack it up with no resistance. I guess if they knew you would get a million for doing it they might contest it.

they could defend the average person coast to coast, because there is no threat of an average person blowing by them

Nov 8, 2017
The NFL first down depends on the o-line you're running behind. My mom could run for a 1st behind the Cowboys o-line. While God would average less than 2 yards per carry on the Detroit Lions.

NBA-NFL-MLB

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could hurl a basketball roughly in the direction and overhand - about the right distance to a regulation basket. Every other scenario ends in my brains hanging out.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be terrified to even attempt to bunt a pitch from an MLB-level pitcher. Fuck that noise.

Basketball would be the easiest.

Anybody saying hockey is ignorant or out of their minds. The NHL requires three crazy skills simply to play the fucking game, let alone actually accomplish anything.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the average person can even get possession of the ball. How are you going to get it and keep it long enough to shoot?

I like the one poster's idea where you're the QB and just hand off the ball.

Otherwise, I'll take an infinitesimal shot at MLB.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Basket, first down then the baseball hit. Hardest of the major 4 is scoring a goal in hockey. Not even close.

Basket is easiest because you can yolo a basket if you're decent from 3 pt range. Chances go down when attempting close to the bucket because you'd get fucked in an instant.

First down is the second most difficult because you need to run 10 yards and you dont need takeaway speed to hit it. If you're the QB difficult goes up. Baseball is 3rd because you're facing against pitchers throwing 90+ mph. It's hard to track the ball, let alone get good contact. 4th is hockey primarily because same issue with baseball and football, except now you have the whole skating issue and most scoring relies on teammates. Even the best scorers in hockey may not even score for 10 games.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Between baseball and football I'll go with baseball, only because I won't fucking die if I strike out.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
NBA > NFL > MLB is really the only right answer. Only way I could see NFL being easier is if you specifically focus on getting handed the ball and running it down, and even then there's a lot of variables at play vs just trying to quickly throw hoops.

On baseball in particular I can't help but laugh at everyone saying "just bunt it", as if you just stick the bat out and wait for the ball to make contact. There's a whole form and grip and technique with bunting where you're essentially trying to punch the ball in midair. Good luck with that.

If we count NHL then I'd consider that hardest by sole virtue of needing to know how to skate. Knowing how to skate to the degree where you can reliably play hockey poorly is still a fundamental skill I'd say most folks don't have. That and any NHL-level goalie would most likely be an impenetrable wall.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
If go with hit in MLB since I'm only 5'9".

I think I'm more likely to get lucky with the timing of a swing than shoot over someone 7 feet tall.

NFL, I'd get carted off the field after the first offensive drive.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
nah, the NFL 1st Down is more plausible than the the 1 basket in the NBA for average person.

the defense in the NBA would never let you ever get to nail a basket.

meanwhile all you got to do in the NFL is to catch the ball and avoid bodies for a 1st down which is more plausible

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
If the parameters are a "Single Game" then it is absolutely not MLB. Players go 0-4 all the time, and I played enough baseball to know that I wouldn't have a chance. By far the hardest, because it is both incredibly difficult but also you only get 4 or 5 at-bats in most games.

NFL is the next hardest. If you can catch at all, you could possibly get off 10 yards on a screen pass. Of course, if you don't and get blown up, it might be your only chance.

The "easiest" would be NBA. I've played in pickup games against guys that played in the NBA. They absolutely destroyed me. But I could get shots off. They may not be good shots, but they could possibly go in. You also can get more shots off, no matter how bad, in a standard NBA game than at bats in baseball and many times catches in football. Especially if you and your team don't care about winning in this scenario.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Assuming the other team is amused enough by the situation to not just steal the ball from me every time, and assuming my team has an incentive to let me make a shot rather than try to win the game, I may eventually go 1 for 30

Think of it this way - modern NBA analytics are such that below average (but decent, about 32% career) 3 point shooters like Draymond Green are routinely allowed to shoot wide open 3s, because he's statistically more likely to hurt you on an aggressive close out by blowing by you or making an effective extra pass to a better shooting teammate.

Look at how teams play Ben Simmons, All Star guard, because they know he can't shoot:

we-re-increasingly-seeing-teams-defend-ben-simmons-by-giving-him-20-ft-of-open-space-and-having-his-defender-go-extremely-under-screens.jpg

Basketball might be the only sport where being terrible increases your likelihood of getting easy scoring opportunities, because teams have accumulated enough data to know who can and cannot hurt them in a scoring battle. Unless you can average close to a point every time you touch the ball, you aren't worth guarding.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The first down would probably be easiest unless the NBA team is just not defending you for some reason and you can actually shoot. The pitch is probably impossible.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
If you don't have any handles how would you even make it around the court against an NBA player? If they know the goal is just for YOU to hit one shot someone will be all over you all game 😂.

I'd say its the "easiest" of the three because the amount of opportunities you would get during a game. The NFL it'd depend on what position they'd expect you to get the first down in and how good everyone around you is. You would at least get 3-4 minimum attempts per possession. MLB you might have the least amount of opportunities to get a hit since you gotta wait after a strikeout.

I'd personally attempt NFL since that's the sport I have most experience playing throughout life. My body wouldn't like it though.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't have any handles how would you even make it around the court against an NBA player? If they know the goal is just for YOU to hit one shot someone will be all over you all game 😂.

I'd say its the "easiest" of the three because the amount of opportunities you would get during a game. The NFL it'd depend on what position they'd expect you to get the first down in and how good everyone around you is. You would at least get 3-4 minimum attempts per possession. MLB you might have the least amount of opportunities to get a hit since you gotta wait after a strikeout.

I'd personally attempt NFL since that's the sport I have most experience playing throughout life. My body wouldn't like it though.
Yeah, that's another thing. The opposing NBA team can easily just take the ball away from you.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are they handing you the ball while your team watches in the NBA for the entire game?

Because if not, the answer is going to be MLB for most people. That's the only one on one scenario.

lol at any of you thinking you're going to score a basket against NBA players exerting any defensive effort at all.

The absolute best hitters in the history of the MLB only get a hit about a third of the time. We're not even talking average players, but the best. Hitting the ball 4/10ths of the time would put you in all time great territory. Players that have spent their entire lives playing the sport and getting to the absolute pinnacle that the game has to offer still only have a batting average under .300. You've got something like a tenth of a second to decide the trajectory of the ball and when to swing to hit it. My first game of fast pitch I got beaned in the eye and I barely even realized the ball left the pitcher's hand, lol. And that was fucking little league. Very very very few if any of us here would ever be able to even make contact with the ball let alone hit it hard enough to get on base.

With the NBA, assuming I have some kind teammates that pass me the ball, I might be able to make a basket. Maybe.

The NFL, unless it's some inches where all I'd have to do is fall over, it's not happening.

Scoring a goal in the NHL could happen if some crazy bullshit bounce happens and I get credit for being the last player to touch the puck, otherwise, no way in hell. I can barely skate let alone shoot a puck with any velocity that a modern goalie would already be prepared for.

I'd say NBA > NFL > NHL > MLB

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I've played with and against an NBA player, as well as multiple players from the national team. I'd be quietly confident of nailing an open jump shot if the opportunity presented itself.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If we're getting to play the whole game:

I'll go with NFL, a good line can produce quite a few doable chances.
Very little chance of getting a hit in MLB (by far the hardest) and pros go whole games striking out.
and don't like my chances against 7-foot man mountains in the NBA, especially if marked, probably very doable though if I was allowed to roam off a spread defence.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Think of it this way - modern NBA analytics are such that below average (but decent, about 32% career) 3 point shooters like Draymond Green are routinely allowed to shoot wide open 3s, because he's statistically more likely to hurt you on an aggressive close out by blowing by you or making an effective extra pass to a better shooting teammate.

Look at how teams play Ben Simmons, All Star guard, because they know he can't shoot:

we-re-increasingly-seeing-teams-defend-ben-simmons-by-giving-him-20-ft-of-open-space-and-having-his-defender-go-extremely-under-screens.jpg

Basketball might be the only sport where being terrible increases your likelihood of getting easy scoring opportunities, because teams have accumulated enough data to know who can and cannot hurt them in a scoring battle. Unless you can average close to a point every time you touch the ball, you aren't worth guarding.
This is why the NBA is unquestionably the correct answer. NBA teams will have no problem letting you shoot semi-deep threes because any of our shooting averages will be far lower than for our four teammates on the court. Not to mention cherry picking. The other team wouldn't even mind because you are now 5 on 4 the other end and the cherry picking would only rarely work.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Assuming the opposing team is playing like you are an average player (for example, basketball players aren't trying to prevent you specifically from scoring, the football defense isn't continuously stacked against the run), I would probably go NBA>NFL>>>>>>NHL>MLB. The football one is weird, because a 10 yard 1st down run is probably going to 65 to 75 percent be becasue of the team around you not just you. In basketball, there are enough opportunities in a game for you to get a single basket, plus a slightly sloppy play from the defense could generate a Free Throw so I would rate that as technically the easiest. The NHL and MLB comparisons are weird as well. Just an average Joe scoring by himself in an NHL game is functionally impossible, but there are plenty of deflections, tip ins, or a possible empty net goal that would make it theoretically slightly easier. You can flail around as much as you want, but you aren't getting a hit against an MLB pitcher unless you have lottery luck.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
hitting a pitch. If you are playing in the NBA and trying to run up against 7 foot tall skywizards, you're not going to score a basket. I guarantee it.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
LOL at anyone who thinks it's running a football. You'll die regardless of how good the line in front of you is.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
2 days ago muthafuckers in here were fearing for Carli Lloyd's life now y'all think your cheeto asses can get a first down?

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest of those 3? NBA for sure, but if you're just an ordinary person and an NBA player is guarding you, that would be tough as hell. Just get a shooting foul so you can have some free throw attempts.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The answer is NBA. It ain't "easy", it's "easiest". The easiest of four hard options. Ya'll need to stop playing. You try to run a first down and you'll get obliterated. I noticed most of ya'll trying to get out of the normal condition of the first down: get ten full yards.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
In an NBA game you're not going to be looked at as a threat unless you're actually good which I'd bet 99% of us wouldn't be considered as such so the defense isn't going to be that tight on you, they'll probably let you get some open shots because there's much more deserving guys to defend against, if someone even the lowest of bench warmers are actually guarding you seriously, unless you're like at least tall, probably not. Carrying the ball for a first down, you're gonna have a few chances to where you may only need a yard so that might be doable before they kill you but a full ten yards, probably not. Getting a hit in a MLB game, even playing the shittiest team and pitching right now good luck, if it was at least making contact it'd be higher but getting an actual base hit, lol no. No chance in hell are you or I scoring a goal, maybe if it's with a pulled goalie you might get lucky but more likely you're going to be laying on the ice in a heap either from getting hit or because like me, you can't fucking ice skate.

Last edited:

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hitting a baseball is one of the hardest things in sport.

Couple that with defensive players looking to steal your hit and a pitcher who's a pro, good luck hitting a ball.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'd just try to get fouled in an NBA game while shooting and then hit a free throw.

I'd think that any full contact defense in an NBA game will make it impossible for a regular joe to make a basket though.

Honestly I think running for a first down in the NFL might be the easiest but it'll hurt.

Baseball has to be the hardest since the pros only get a hit once every 3-4 times at bat. The reaction time alone to those pitches is insane.

This question is badly worded because it doesn't contextualise the game situation. Could someone get 10 yards in an NFL game? Not a chance. Could you get 1/2 a yard with 10 blockers on a 2nd down after a play action fake or a pitch from an actual running back? Probably

NBA is still the easiest though. Since you could cherry pick off a steal. In terms of actual play, you are still playing with other NBA players to create for you and no one will be guarding you. I'd say given enough attempts most people probably make one open 3

Nov 1, 2017
Was pretty good at football but my knees are mostly garbage now so would need a hole or to be set up at short distance and hope the hit helps propel my body over the line. Can't hit a ball for shit. Best bet is a basket. Beyond a free throw, be on a team with someone that commands a lot of attention, set a few screens and wander out to an open spot. Especially against a team with people that are lazy to rotate.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Was pretty good at football but my knees are mostly garbage now so would need a hole or to be set up at short distance and hope the hit helps propel my body over the line. Can't hit a ball for shit. Best bet is a basket. Beyond a free throw, be on a team with someone that commands a lot of attention, set a few screens and wander out to an open spot. Especially against a team with people that are lazy to rotate.

Or just take a half court shot! I see bums do it all the time.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the opposing team is playing like you are an average player (for example, basketball players aren't trying to prevent you specifically from scoring, the football defense isn't continuously stacked against the run), I would probably go NBA>NFL>>>>>>NHL>MLB. The football one is weird, because a 10 yard 1st down run is probably going to 65 to 75 percent be becasue of the team around you not just you. In basketball, there are enough opportunities in a game for you to get a single basket, plus a slightly sloppy play from the defense could generate a Free Throw so I would rate that as technically the easiest. The NHL and MLB comparisons are weird as well. Just an average Joe scoring by himself in an NHL game is functionally impossible, but there are plenty of deflections, tip ins, or a possible empty net goal that would make it theoretically slightly easier. You can flail around as much as you want, but you aren't getting a hit against an MLB pitcher unless you have lottery luck.

Er it's not impossible to hit an MLB pitcher. Most people will be able to get a hit in, especially against relievers. They just likely won't get great contact most of the time.

Even if you had a BA of .05 which is beyond pathetic, that means typically you'd get a hit every 5 games or so. That's a rate of 32 hits a seasons. So even if you did 25% of that, that's 8 hits a season.

The worst player on my NHL team this last season scored 1 goal in 60 games playing 3rd line minutes. Just look at a typical goons stats and 1-4 goals a year was expectation. But the one thing they have is they are huge and intimidating... Meaning they can drive the net with ease but can't score easily because they are talentless plugs.

4 goals is a rate required to match 8 hits a season (double the games per season), which is .0125 BA

A top NHL goal scorer scores at a rate lower than historically bad baseball hitters hit.

A goon, despite their size, is likely to get just a single shot every 3 games. Top NHL goal scorers shoot at 12+% shooting percentage so that shot generation it would take 24 games on average for a talented player to score. But bad players have 5% or less SH%

That's .0165% chance to score in a game (as a goon) vs insanely bad .0125% chance to hit per AB and I feel I'm being generous to the NHL statistics and very conservative with the hitting statistics as I'm comparing an actual player rate vs a hypothetical.

You are much more likely to get a hit in MLB than you are to score in the NHL.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I can hit the fastball. I've played against hard throwers back in the day but even still, it's a low chance because that's the nature of the game. How many swings do I get?

scoring on an NBA player who's actually guarding me feels like a damn problem, but could I get a lucky 3 in? it's possible. (anything else? NOPE)

don't think I'd have much luck in the nfl but a hole could open up.

hockey would be the actual no chance in hell scenario.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I agree 100% that defensive tendencies make the NBA option the most appealing and thought your initial post was spot on. Sorry I wasn't clear!

The big issue for me is the flip side of that: if you're a complete liability and your team actually wants to win the game, your teammates never need to let you touch the ball at all even if you're on the court for all 48 minutes. Simmons isn't a threat to shoot from the outside and may not realize it's even legal, but his team gets him the ball for the other stuff he's capable of doing; if he went 0-8 instead of 0-0, he'd be guarded the same but also receive the ball much less

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
You are much more likely to get a hit in MLB than you are to score in the NHL.

I don't agree, though again everyone has a different skill set. In hockey, there are still enough intangibles to happen with the puck or the scoring scenario. You're not going to look like Gretzky. A bouncing puck, deflection, or empty net are all possible.

Like many have mentioned here, simply making contact with the baseball is next to impossible against a professional pitcher, let alone get a hit. This goes for both starters and relievers.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
This is crazy. NBA of course.
1. Get fouled
2. Dont play defense
3. Be on a star players team and wait for the double team
4. Set up a pick and go from there.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people keep acting like they are going to have defenders in their face the entire time in an NBA game? That's not how it works.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The hardest is obviously hitting a baseball going almost 100 MPH and that's not even taking into account the different types of pitches. The first down one could possibly be the easiest depending on how good your O-Line is but it would be the one I'd least like to try as getting hit by a pro NFL player would hurt like hell. On average/generally though, the NBA one is the easiest because you could just jack up half or full court shots and just pray.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

Yup.

It depends a lot on whether this is a 'gimmick' scenario where the 'regular game' is focused on you and the players are actively trying to stop you. That makes everything exponentially harder.

If the hypothetical is that you are in a game situation where you simply are added in and all other parameters still matter (IE your team is trying to win a game), the answer IMO is unquestionably NBA.

Some strategies of the modern NBA are in part all about letting poor shooters shoot.

Now, if the defense is focused on stopping you specifically like you were a star player or at least one that could do damage to them by shooting, well....that's a whole different story.

And yeah, there is the possibility of getting a couple of yards in the NFL with a good line. But damn....that's probably gonna be a world of hurt if you get there lol.

Jul 14, 2018
Shocked that people think MLB is the hardest. Without some silly qualifier like, "I'm so bad, the defense will ignore me." neither the basketball or football options are possible for an average person. An NBA player will stuff your 3 point heave flat-footed. An NFL defense isn't going to let some person sit wide open in the secondary just cuz they are slightly slower Jason Witten.

In MLB, the pitcher still has to throw the ball past you. The ball takes up space... the bat takes up space... if you close your eyes and swing at random, you will occasionally bloop one into the shallow outfield. I don't like my chances, but they aren't zero like the other options.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Shocked that people think MLB is the hardest. Without some silly qualifier like, "I'm so bad, the defense will ignore me." neither the basketball or football options are possible for an average person. An NBA player will stuff your 3 point heave flat-footed. An NFL defense isn't going to let some person sit wide open in the secondary just cuz they are slightly slower Jason Witten.

In MLB, the pitcher still has to throw the ball past you. The ball takes up space... the bat takes up space... if you close your eyes and swing at random, you will occasionally bloop one into the shallow outfield. I don't like my chances, but they aren't zero like the other options.
Yeah one hit or making one shot or one first down is very different than doing it consistently.

I actually think the first down is the least likely. NFL players are so fucking fast. Unless you are an amazing athlete I give you zero chance unless somehow your team can push all the defenders on their backs with killer blocks.

Way more likely to get lucky hitting a baseball or making a shot off a screen. In basketball there is a certain distance they won't guard you so you can always chuck a 40 footer and pray it goes in.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
People NFL is easier than NBA are crazy. Tweet said you gotta run the ball. In a x and 10 situation the line can open a hole but you still have to run 10+ yards wearing a helmet and pads. NFL linebackers run 4.5 - 4.9 40 yard dash and if anyone gets a hand on you, you are going down. So the only way you could run for 10+ yards for 1st down is if the line opens a hole so big that your slow ass can run through before it closes and the rest of the defense is god knows where leaving the field is so wide open no one can catch you. Maybe I don't watch enough football, but I can't ever recall seeing a scenario like that ever.

I'd rate getting a MLB hit and running for NFL first down equal at virtually impossible for the average person.