• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
"universally disliked" apparently applies to every game ever. This thread is wild.

I'll say Fallout 76, Generation Zero, SAO Fatal Bullet and, uh, all the lewd EastAsiaSoft games on Switch. lol

And also, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is one of my top 5 favorite games ever.

Last edited:

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Not universally but at least on ERA there's strong hate for the Assasins Creed games. I have spent hundred of hours on their "Origins" trilogy.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Twilight princess and skyward sword are better than 90% of other single player games

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Do people universally like or dislike Sonic Adventure 2?
It's beloved, right? Just a loud vocal minority dislike it?

Anyway, I put an ungodly amount of hours into Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (the original, the one about volleyball). It just had the perfect short 2 week vacation loop that really worked for me, I'd do several vacations in one sitting setting up relationships and presents. Plus hundreds of unlockables, and the volleyball gameplay was fun!
We don't talk about the sequels, there weren't any, let's just say it was a one off.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077.

Played it on PC maxed out so didn't experience all the horseshit console players did and found the game far better than critics claimed. While it didn't live up to the insane pre-release hype i enjoyed it for being the closest i'll ever get to a Deus Ex-like experience and found it far better than highly rated games I found disappointing like Horizon FW, BotW, and RDR2.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Other M. Although it's been so long that I don't even recall what I liked about it. All the criticism it receives seems valid though

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
CyberPunk 2077

4 playthroughs and 200+ hours on the clock.

121 hours in the multiplayer of Devil's Third. Probably could tack on a couple extra hours to that if you include the singleplayer. There's still nothing like the multiplayer experience that game provided to this day.

Ridiculously fun and innovative gameplay and social features that were remarkably polished. Warring player made clans, defending and attacking on custom player made bases, player made propaganda to recruit other players to clans, spying, diplomacy chat for clan heads, in-game treaties and declarations of war, managing the clan economy, unique game modes, etc. Too much fun.

I have a ton of hours in Babylon's Fall too, but I can't really gush about it or recommend it in the same kind of way unfortunately. However, the combat and builds aspect are pretty fun once you understand them at least.

Oh shit, this also. Easily 500 hours on the MP alone.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone would say this was a good game but I played a lot of it.
Mastersbox.jpg

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Is FFXIII hated enough to qualify? :P

Played it once, didn't care for it.

Played it again to show how pretty it was to a friend, learned about ATB refresh, embraced the melodramatic story, fell in love with it.

Did a challenge run (no leveling) a few years after that.

Quite a bit of time sunk into a game that's largely reviled, I think.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I played the crap out of Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival on the Wii U. It's a perfectly harmless casual board game with some Animal Crossing fanservice.

I also have almost 20 hours in Godzilla for the PS4 which IIRC sits at a whopping 38 on Metacritic. It has it's flaws but also an addictive combo system and a great cinematic feel to it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Paper Mario Sticker Star is great, it's just not an RPG. And that's okay. The 3D effect is perfect for Paper Mario too.

It also reviewed just fine, gamer hyperbole is strong on this one.

Last edited:

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Mass Effect: Andromeda. The level of hate it continues to get has never once been deserved, not even at launch. The regular game is great on its own, but the multiplayer (as unfortunately barebones as it is thanks to EA yanking BioWare away from it) is still extremely fun and well worth the price of admission if you can get some people together.

View: https://i.imgur.com/Pc3q7LB.mp4

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Do people universally like or dislike Sonic Adventure 2?
It's beloved, right? Just a loud vocal minority dislike it?

Anyway, I put an ungodly amount of hours into Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (the original, the one about volleyball). It just had the perfect short 2 week vacation loop that really worked for me, I'd do several vacations in one sitting setting up relationships and presents. Plus hundreds of unlockables, and the volleyball gameplay was fun!
We don't talk about the sequels, there weren't any, let's just say it was a one off.

It's a beloved game. All I ever see is love for it and the only few complaints I've seen about it is how janky the game's movements can get.

damn, i need other hated games that i like

what about mario odyssey or elden ring?

Both are well liked especially Elden Ring even if it had detractors.
Hell even tho I enjoyed my time with ER, I didnt liked the open world format, at all.
Something universally disliked that you might personally enjoy would be something along the lines of Fallout 76 or Anthem.
I myself mentioned the first Watch Dogs, which I played very much later from it's release but I enjoyed so many aspects of it and I still get onto the game and have fun, but I only read and heard hate for it.

HerotheChosen

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 22, 2022
Mass Effect Andromeda. I put 116 hours into it. The same amount of time I put into Red Dead 2, according to my PS5 profile.

I genuinely loved the game. It has the best combat in the series by far and I think the characters are just as well written as the original trilogy.

The story isn't as operatic as the first three games, but it felt much more STAR TREK than the trilogy, which I dug. It's my fourth favorite Mass Effect, but it's still a great game.

I should note I didn't play it until last year, but it was immediately after playing 200 hours of ME: Legendary Edition. A tall order to stand up to, especially since I was already inclined to not dig it.
Andromedas combat is extremely fun and I love how it allows for experimentation with mixing up abilities/guns+customizations.

Oct 25, 2017
People really seem to hate RE6 but I've played hundreds of hours of it on PS3 and a about 50 hours on steam.
I just think the mercs mode is perfection.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
FFXIV 1.0
Despite all of its issues, and they were legion, I played the HELL outta that MMO.
Got in deep with the lore/theory-crafting/RP crowd

I believe Final Fantasy Type-0 to be quite unpopular.

I think it translated from handheld to "HD" rather poorly.
I played through the original Type-0 import on PSP and it was easily my GOTY the year it released.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Both are well liked especially Elden Ring even if it had detractors.
Hell even tho I enjoyed my time with ER, I didnt liked the open world format, at all.
Something universally disliked that you might personally enjoy would be something along the lines of Fallout 76 or Anthem.
I myself mentioned the first Watch Dogs, which I played very much later from it's release but I enjoyed so many aspects of it and I still get onto the game and have fun, but I only read and heard hate for it.
i gotta be honest, I was trying to give some troll answers but seeing people unironically post about mario sunshine (91 on metacritic) and xenoblade chronicles 2 (83 on metacritic) here made me give up

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I played a fuck ton of anthem. From the early days when the servers barely worked to later on when it had developed into a damn solid looter shooter with some of the best combat and traversal in gaming history. Unfortunately there wasn't enough content and the story ended right when it started to get interesting.

Dec 30, 2020
Genuinely having a blast with Balan Wonderworld, and put enough time into it to 100% most of the levels. Plan on going back to finish off the rest of them too.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I had to force myself to start and restart Horizon: Zero Dawn not less than three times to finally get through the game. All I wanted to do was see how the game would explain away the robo-dinos, Ted Faro is an asshole, but I still think the whole premise is ridiculous.

Very technically impressive game, however. Haven't played the sequel, no interest in it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I played a shit-ton of those awful, old movie licensed games that used to come out on NES and SNES when I was a kid. The Lawnmower Man is one that I've put hundreds of hours into over the decades. Batman Forever was another one.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Deadly Towers for the NES. I played it a ton as a kid and beat it multiple times. I guess I didn't know better, but I have zero regrets.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I kind of love Megaman X6. Finished it 5+ times already.

Does FFXIII count? Just reached 100 hours on Steam, plus the time with the 360 version.

Heidelbeere

Jun 8, 2022
DmC is my favorite character action game. It really blows away the entire rest of the series IMO.
I don't think DmC is universally hated. In the mid 80s on metacritic when I glanced, but it does seem to be disliked around these woods. You're right, it's awesome. Very unique boss fights. That opening scene where his trailer gets rolled over is one of the best in gaming IMO. Music on point.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 - 300+ hours and combat was fine. Imbalanced(easy) even on Dark diff, but still good fun.

Tales of Zestiria - Ok it had issues, but I liked the scope and sheer scale of its environs and combat. The story was meh but I didn't dislike my time with it.

Arkham Knight - Ok the bat tank was overkill and definitely gummed up the final act, but the batmobile outside of combat was awesome. Loved seeking out the riddler trophies and solving all the city puzzles. Hooked to get all of them. And it looked tremendous. Helped having all the DLC injected into the main game by the time I played it though, it did liven up the city more and added lots more variety over launch I imagine.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
I really like Cyberpunk 2077 and have 92 hours of playtime in it.
- but to be fair I didnt start before the current gen patch came out - patch 1.5

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
All I see is people whining about how every online game I play is terrible.

I'd go with Lost Planet 2. It took everything about LP1 and made it more difficult. The campaign was meant to play in coop, though it could be solo'd with skill. When in coop, a single person can wipe an entire group. While the MP, while it was necessary for the higher echelon on play in LP1. Learning frames was a basic required skill to survive in MP in 2. Games were an absolute bloodbath from people that learned invincibility frames and those who didn't. It was an unforgiving game for anyone who did not hit a certain skill level. You hit that skill level though and it goes from having to have 4 people on point to survive normal. To a single one of us clearing the stage while the other three fuck around with the merging mechs on extreme.
]

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
One person mentioned Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. Probably the closest game I have to the criteria. I have 124 hours in that game. Don't even think I 'LIKED' that game (definitely preferred Wildlands). But I did play it a lot.

Mass Effect Andromeda: Yea, echo a lot of people here. Many of us quietly loved the game. I think the game is universally DISLIKED, but maybe not hated to the degree some of these other games are (at least with time). I'm behind on the Nextlander playthrough of ME:A cuz they dip into ragging on the game for cheap filler content too much haha. Boy does the game have its issues, but it's just not fun seeing people not have fun XD. Thanks to that, I recently started and finished a second playthrough of the game. In game timer says 163 hours on the save file, but uh.. it's probably much more than that.

Fable 3 not universally disliked either, but I did like it. I saw a ReCore in here, but while I loved the game (and spent a lot of time in it just jumping around and even going back and doing the special edition when that released with the tank), I also disliked the part that everyone dislike at the end, when it became totally clear that they ran out of money lol... sigh.... Anyway, I don't think Arkham Knight was universally disliked? It was bad at launch and people didn't like the batmobile. And maybe people didn't like it as much as its predecessors. It was my first Arkham game and I quite liked it. I even did ALL OF THE RIDDLER QUESTS.

This thread devolved into something more hilarious than I could've expected - What non-90% metacritic game did you play the most?
These games though. Like, you all are spoiled if these are the most disliked games you've played.

Anyways...I think I am the winner thus far:
Paperboy 64

I will maintain that it's a fun game.

Donkey Kong 64 - it always gets trashed for being a collectathon but I loved the hell out of it as a kid. I liked how all the different Kongs had different abilities and you had to use different ones to get different things in different stages

I love DK64. Was shocked later to find that it's widely panned by the enthusiast gamer market right now.

Did Breath of the Wild get posted yet?

Actually...yes. On page 2, I think?

To be fair, I think there's a good chance it was posted as a joke.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I quite liked Rise of the Argonauts on the xbox 360, played it through twice to get 100%! It wasn't until much later I found out it was mid-50s on metacritic and was quite surprised.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say it's universally disliked but it get's a lot of shit. Dark Souls 2. Thanks to it's PvP it's by far my most plays souls game.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I really like crime/mob themed games and they aren't too common.

Kane and Lynch series is one I liked a lot, especially Dog Days which I loved the gritty style and it was a lot more polished than Dead Men. Those games got shat on a bit, I admit they are a bit janky at times, but I loved them.

Mafia 3 is probably another divisive one. Yes 1 and 2 are way better because they focus on story based missions instead of repetitive area take over activities, but I still enjoyed 3 especially by the end, great last mission and ending.

I should really check out the Getaway games one day which I've heard aren't that great but I may enjoy them.

Right now I'm playing through Yooka Laylee which I'm really enjoying doing all the tasks and collecting everything. The general consensus I got from that game is it was buggy at launch and not worthy of being a Banjo spiritual successor but I'm having fun and Yooka and Laylee have grown on me as characters. Lots of innuendos which I don't expect and get a chuckle from.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Metal Gear Survive has really solid gameplay loops in it. Certainly it is no masterwork and I wish the multiplayer was better designed, but the majority of people who trash it made up their mind about the game before it was even announced honestly.