• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
All 3 sites just gave me essentially the same results. Not sure why your results have so much variance. Wifi?

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
fast gave me 1.7gbps alt tabbed which is...above what my wire can actually give me afaik. I'm wired right into my modem and even thats a dumb fast speed. So I guess it breaks if you're alt tabbed, weird.
2nd test was 900mbps which is about right. Third and fourth 950 and 760 (It was 950 and hardkilled then saved itself).

speedofme gave me 490 which I only get on a shit server, I assume their test caps at 500 based on the chart.

Speedtest almost always gives me 800-970 which is about right. Just tested and got a 894.

...so...either fast.com or surely speedtest. NOT speedof.me. I'd go speedtest.

I have similar results at my other house too so yeah.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That Fast one really isnt correct. I have 200mbps down and it says i have 400 mbps.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't heard of the other two, but www.speedtest.net has usually given me better numbers than what I've felt were real (funny that it's the one that gave you the worst results). The results I've gotten from www.testmy.net have usually matched reality better.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Fast.com run on your phone gives you a great idea if your mobile company is destroying your video download speed!

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
What device you are using for testing? For me, MacBook Pro and Apple TV almost give me pretty consistent results each time. Mobile or anything else not so much.

I only use Speedtest app (use an app not through a website) and the result is almost equal to my subscription

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus you guys have fast internet speeds; I have no idea how mine is always so bad. I get 36 Mbps from Fast, 43 from speedtest, and 48 from speedof.

This is in the Bay Area, paying ~$75 for internet, and that's the best speed I've ever gotten in my life.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
My ISP just got sold (Frontier in WA state is now Ziply Fiber) and they have a GB Offering for $60/month ($80 after 1yr). . .

Tempting to say the least! I would love to see THOSE speedtests..heh

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
My ISP just got sold (Frontier in WA state is now Ziply Fiber) and they have a GB Offering for $60/month ($80 after 1yr). . .

Tempting to say the least! I would love to see THOSE speedtests..heh
Same pricing as the ATT Fiber I will be installing this Saturday in my newly built house. Can't wait to get out of Xfinity data cap. 4K streaming all day...

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I use speedtest.net -- it keeps a history of your results and is pretty good at identifying when there's a wider network issue -- just last week we dropped from 350 (average) to around.. 10mpbs.. But the network fixed itself after a few hours

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
Speedof.me tests things differently than the others and gives a better representation of what you would experience in a browser instead of a command line copy.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Fast.com, Speedtest, and Google's speed test all show me at around 110mbs.

Speedof.me showed me at 10mbs twice in a row, but the third time showed me at 110mbs.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
All three were wildly different. A 41 on Fast, 86 on SpeedofMe and 300 on Speedtest.net

I'm inclined to go with Speedtest here since it feels fast and I pay for 500mbs, usually my test is higher than this but its working hours right now on the west coast.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I tend to use Google's, but speedtest is also fine.

Just got 501 Mbps down 660 up on my wifi. not bad. no real variance.