• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most memorable

• Bend Studio (Syphon Filter ; Days Gone)

Votes: 10 1.1%
  • Guerrilla Games (Killzone ; Horizon Zero Dawn)

Votes: 30 3.4%
  • Insomniac Games (Spyro ; Ratchet & Clank ; Sunset OD ; Spiderman)

Votes: 179 20.2%
  • Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper ; Infamous)

Votes: 32 3.6%
  • Team Ico (Ico ; Shadow of the Colossus)

Votes: 171 19.3%
  • Santa Monica Studio (God of War)

Votes: 125 14.1%
  • Naughty Dog (Crash Bandicoot ; Jax and Dexter ; Uncharted ; Last of Us)

Votes: 609 68.8%

• Total voters

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah the first page having no Studio Liverpool was weird. There's just something about Wipeout man.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread ready to vote for Psygnosis (Sony Studio Liverpool) only to find out not only that they weren't included in the list, but not one person has yet mentioned them.

Not only did they put out such games as Lemmings, and Shadow of the Best prior to joining Sony, they also created WipeOut, Colony Wars, Formula One, and G-Police.
Yeah I did the exactly the same. People really don't know how important Psygnosis was to Sony in the early days...

ps3ud0 8)

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
ND because of Crash, Jak and Uncharted.
Insomniac would be second because of Spyro and Ratchet

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably PD and ND because I've been playing there games since the PS1.

Also Psygnosis which ended up being Studio Liverpool. Big racing fan so F1 and Wipeout are early memories for me.

Later on probably Insomniac, R&C on PS2 and Resistance FOM which is underrated as fuck and was doing something in terms of scale and player count that no other console FPS shooter was doing back then.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
My favorite Sony studio is Suckerpunch. Naughty Dog gave me Indiana Jones (lite) and TLoU though, so they get my other vote.

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Naughty Dog just because Crash > Uncharted > TLoU is god tier, but it could have easily been Insomniac. They're the only two who have consistently made games I've wanted to play since I was a kid. PD should have been there considering how much love I had for them during the PS1/PS2 days but they dropped off during the HD consoles for me.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I came into this thread ready to vote for Psygnosis (Sony Studio Liverpool) only to find out not only that they weren't included in the list, but not one person has yet mentioned them.

Not only did they put out such games as Lemmings, and Shadow of the Best prior to joining Sony, they also created WipeOut, Colony Wars, Formula One, and G-Police.

Same here, Psygnosis (COLONY WARS 4ever!!!) would've been my answer, but Insomniac and Naughty Dog aren't too shabby either ;)

MocroMo

Jun 4, 2019
The system is rigged.. ;) Japan Studio should have been included (with Team ICO as part of the studio). Also i miss Polyphony studios, Gran Turismo 3 was my first ps game.

* I voted for Naughty Dog because i bought Jak And Daxter because they were the creators of Crash, and Insomniac for the Spyro games and later on for the R&C series.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
ND and I didn't even play the Jak games. i think they are on PS4, so I'm gonna have to buy them someday.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Japan Studio and Naughty Dog are what I consider to be Sony's top-tier studios. MediaMolecule are pretty close to them as well I'd say.

Major poll snub by the way. Should've put MM in there instead of Bend.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
My first thought was SCE Studio Liverpool (RIP) for the wipeout series. I'm not a great fan of the gameplay but the aesthetic and design greatly influenced me.

Next obvious one would be Team ICO. Of all studios in the poll it's the only one I care about.

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac and Naughty Dog. From Spyro and Crash in the 90s on PS1 to Spider-Man and Uncharted over 20 years later on PS4. Spider-Man released almost exactly 20 years after Spyro the Dragon which is a curious coincidence (Sep 7th 2018 & Sep 10th 1998). What a journey.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

I hear you, suprised for the same reasons.

Shame.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac by a country mile although funnily enough my absolute favourite game of theirs was Sunset Overdrive. Spyro and Ratchet and still terrific though.

I suppose Naughty Dog would be second by default, but playing through the Uncharted collection recently has only strengthened my opinion of only really liking Uncharted 2 and then before that it'd be all the way back to the first Jak & Daxter.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Insomniac is my personal favourite, with Spyro and Ratchet being my favourite IPs on PS1 and 2 respectively.

have had incredible experiences with pretty much all Sony first party devs though.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Crash was my first PS1 game, Jak and Daxter was one of my first PS2 games and Uncharted was my first mindblowing experience on the PS3, so it's Naughty Dog for me.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Insomniac and Naughty Dog.
Their games, now and in the past, have always been great. I just wish Naughty Dogs output was a bit faster this gen.. It doesn't have to be state of the art graphics and realism for me.

Guerilla was the worst imo, but with Horizon they put a huge step in the right direction, for me anyway.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Going by their games, it's clearly Naughty Dog. The GOAT!

Team Ico isn't a studio. It was just a team inside Japan Studio. So I guess you just mean Japan Studio.
(Team Ico doesn't even exist anymore.)
Ad you said Team Ico doesn't exist anymore so why we should vote for Japan Studio (different people)?

Voted TI and Insomniac, ND didn't delivered with J&D series after the first one.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
OP should ask a mode to change Team Ico to Japan studio to cover all games made by it aside from SoTC like Astro, Puppeteer and Gravity Rush etc.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I would have said Naughty Dog but they decided they want to make movies instead of games, so Insomniac it is

Aug 2, 2018
Naughty Dog obviously. Crash, Jak, Uncharted, and TLou. I also love sucker punch a lot. Sly cooper is great and Infamous 1+2 are underrated and its sad they never got remasters.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ad you said Team Ico doesn't exist anymore so why we should vote for Japan Studio (different people)?

Voted TI and Insomniac, ND didn't delivered with J&D series after the first one.
Because the question is "which iconic SIE studio is the most memorable for you" :) And Japan Studio is the one who made Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, etc. Devs of the former Team Ico are still working for Japan Studio. Just the "team" doesn't exist anymore. They mix up the devs all the time at Japan Studio. Team Siren became Team Gravity, then there was Team Knack, etc.
It's like saying "why would I vote for Insomniac when the original Ratchet & Clank team doesn't exist anymore. It doesn't matter. It's still Insomniac Games. And some of the OG dev team that made R&C are still there ;)

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Probably PD and ND because I've been playing there games since the PS1.

Also Psygnosis which ended up being Studio Liverpool. Big racing fan so F1 and Wipeout are early memories for me.

Later on probably Insomniac, R&C on PS2 and Resistance FOM which is underrated as fuck and was doing something in terms of scale and player count that no other console FPS shooter was doing back then.

Insomniac is right there with them, with Disruptor and Spyro for the PS1!

For me it's absolutely Insomniac, just because of their range. Looking at Spyro, Resistance, Ratchet, and Spidey...they've really set themselves apart by making games that are wildly unique yet share extremely similar DNA.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
You are missing Polyphony digital, which I'd say have produced one of the most iconic and well known franchises for the entirety of the playstation's existence

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion.

Naughty Dog:
Crash 1-3 + Racing = 4 great games for the time.
Jak 1-3 = 1 great game for the time, 2 bad games.
Uncharted 1-4 + TLL = 3 great games, 2 good games.
TLoU = 1 great game.
Sum: 9 great games, 2 good games.

Insomniac Games:
Spyro 1-3 = 3 great games for the time.
Ratchet & Clank = 7 great games for their respective time period, 4 good games.
Resistance = 1 great game, 2 good games.
Song of the Deep = 1 great game.
Sunset Overdrive = 1 great game.
Spider-Man = 1 great game.
Some well received Oculus games I have not played.
Sum: 14 great games, 6 good games, possibly more good Oculus games.

Winner: Insomniac Games (and Japan).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Studio Liverpool.

I'm a hopeless hack for PS1 nostalgia, and the entire aesthetic and vibe around the Wipeout games WAS PlayStation in the 90's.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Insomniac for me. Spyro and Ratchet were really important to me growing up. Ratchet 1 and 2 specifically are some of my favorite games of all time they are so incredibly good.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica. Spent a lot of hours playing Warped, Team Racing, Uncharted franchise and The Last of Us. And of course, the God of War saga. I just love their games