• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 24, 2019
I love horror games and have played quite a few over the years. While many of them are creepy, I don't get truly scared by many of them.

However, there are always some that take the fear to the next level.

For me, the two games that creeped me out to the point that I found it difficult to keep going at times are:

1. Resident Evil 7 in VR. The VR elements just take the experience to a whole new level. That part in the shed/greenhouse especially was nightmare fuel

2. The Evil Within 1. I don't honestly know what about this game gets to me so much, but it does. The atmosphere is so unrelentingly dark and grim and grimy, with no moments of levity, and it really gets under my skin. Maybe it partly stems from the fact that I played it 8 hours straight from 3 AM to 11 AM one night while on a shit ton of adderall, and it scarred me lol.

What are the games that didn't just creep you out, but scared you shitless?

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
Outlast. Could not get through it.

Also another shout out for Resident Evil 7 in VR. I literally screamed like a little girl.

Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill 1, 2 and PT. Also Clive Barker's Undying and that one mission in Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines (y'all know which one I mean).

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation. Easily the scariest, and most stressful game i have ever played. Still one of the best games this gen.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
P.T. is still the only game to scare me. When Lisa (if you don't gouge out her eye in the picture) kills you, I screamed "Oh fuck!" super loudly, closed the app, and deleted it. When I went downstairs to get a drink a couple minutes later my brother laughed because he was watching me play until the hallway looped and he noped out. Thankfully grabbed it again before Konami removed it and I play through it at least once a year. Lisa is so damn creepy, especially if you're trying to beat it because she can be really dangerous in the last bit of the game.

EfRGlLsWsAEdABi

EfRGl56X0AENf1R

EfRGmhvWAAATKFa

EfRGlXrWkAIyrho

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
Bloodborne when I noticed an NPC was spying on my conversation with another NPC. I was terrified, I don't know why.

Oh and The Evil Within scared me so much I couldn't finish the game.

uniform

Oct 27, 2017
It's been so long I can't even remember much about it, but Silent Hill 3 was a game I only played in short sessions because it was too much for me.

Oddly, I don't remember having an issue with the first and second.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
When I was a kid, it was the Spooky chapter from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

No joke, with this music playing and those damn rabid zombies gurgling for your brains. Spooked the spoops outta me.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Last chapter of Condemned, on the farm was fucking terrifying... took me forever to finish that.
What a great game and a launch title!
Mannnnn the memories. I never expected that from the game, I just worked at Hollywood Video at the time so I "rented" all the games for free and grabbed it on a whim. Whew...

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
REmake.

When I first started playing it and checked the gated entrance behind the stairwell and heard Lisa's eerie moaning, I turned off the game and didn't play it for a month.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
The sound design in the first Dead Space was good enough to almost actually make me pee myself. Man, I really need to replay that game. I suppose this month would be as perfect a time as any.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Nothing scared me more then PT, I legit couldn't play and had to watch my friends play, we were all together playing at night and I gave up my turn lmao

Evil within 1 was scary, the first Outlast was terrifying, and Resident Evil 7 was scary the first play session but not too bad for the rest.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Forbidden Siren scared me so much as a teen that I had to physically turn off the PS2 the moment I was first discovered by one of the enemy

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I'm a pretty big fan of horror games and horror media in general, though I don't really think I scare on a visceral level very easily. That being said P.T. definitely did it for me.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I loved horror games growing up and none of it ever truly scared me . . . until now but it has more to do with where and when I play more than anything. I now play games at night when everyone is asleep in my pitchblack basement with headphones. Also two huge ground hogs snuck into my basement once and I'm still traumatized by it. So yeah, everything is scary down there nowadays.

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Penumbra scared the fuck out of me. Re7 in VR was terrifying. That's about it. A lot of games got aot of good tension and atmosphere that make me feel scared, but nothing has really scared me shirtless besides the games mentioned above.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I have beat the majority of the games on the "ResetERA'S 2018 Top 51 Essential Horror Games" list, and PT was BY FAR the one that scared me the most.

The Dark Soul

Jan 2, 2020
MĂ©xico
Silent Hill 3. I remember even being afraid of opening the damn thing. After that I think I became immune to scary games lol, not a single game makes me scared anymore. I love horror tho.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently, as in yesterday, Phasmophobia. It's a VR horror game on PC, it scared me a lot.

JumiElazul

Apr 4, 2020
Pathologic 2 was pretty terrifying for a variety of reasons. Purely psychologic too, no shocking jump scares or anything like that.

Also...not a horror game strictly, but Subnautica. I already have a fear of deep water, and what seemed like a harmless survival game became so much more once I started exploring the depths and realizing what was out there in the dark unknown. Freaking terrifying game.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Silent Hill 2 as a teen. I remember the hospital really scared me. The whole game is was creepy as hell. I haven't played it in decades, so i don't know if it aged well though.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The chapter in Dead Space 1 with the Nemesis creature. They did an excellent job of making it feel like no where was safe in that level.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
i don't play a lot of horror games because i'm a tiny baby, but of the ones i have played, it's the first episode of stories untold, which is funny because it's a text adventure. but i guess whatever your imagination can come up with will always be scarier than the reveal of a monster and giving it a face. fortunately(?), the game got progressively less scary until it wasn't scary at all in the final episode.

anatomy and the space between are two indie horror games that get pretty fucking intense, but i still saw them through to the end late at night with the lights off and my headphones on.

haven't played re7 and pt myself, but just watching others play it to completion, i'm good!

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Silent Hill 3. And no, not the mirror room.

Early on in the mall, I was in a storeroom and I was in the basement with my parents' room right above me. I was wearing headphones cause I was streaming the game for a friend. As I walked into the room, I heard loud and intense stomping above me and froze, looking upstairs thinking that something was wrong. Like someone had broken into the house. I was panicking and my heart was about to pop out of my chest. I was even more terrified because after I took my headphones off, there was dead silence.

I typed that I thought someone was in the room and I was about to call the police when my friend had to assure me it was sound from the game, one of SH3's many, many elements that are there with the sole purpose of fucking with you.

One of the scariest moments of my life, lmao. Also RE7 in VR is incredibly terrifying, even as someone who has played it many times outside of VR.

Zero83

Oct 29, 2017
Oslo
I love horror in general, but any first person horror game from this generation get a hard pass from me. RE7, Outlast, Alien Isolation and so on. It's probably the realistic visuals in combination of the feeling like everything on the screen is seen though my own eyes because I'm not controlling a visible character.

I would gladly play them in the company of someone else, but that's not an option for me now.

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely nothing has compared to RE7 in VR. I was legitimately afraid of booting it up with every session. One of the best gaming experiences I've had this generation.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
The encounters with Tall Woman from Fatal Frame V could get pretty tense because she just towers you and has an amazing range because of that. You could be pretty far away from her and yet she could do a couple of steps and get her face scarely close to you. She can also appear right in front of you in a couple of chapters out of nowhere, so I remember jumping at those moments.

And I wouldn't even consider her a boss... just a memorable regular enemy.
iu

And for those who haven't played Fatal Frame, the closer you get to the face the better the camera shot is, so the gameplay itself makes you approach her. You also need to hold the gamepad vertically to make a full shot of her body, so that adds to the tense. (I'm assuming she was created because they wanted to have an enemy that would force you to do that).

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
- Silent Hill 2 and 3, the latter especially. I had to quit Silent Hill 3 barely an hour after playing it
I got to the Otherworld Mall and was terrified and just couldn't continue.
In comparision I actually managed to beat SH2 (just barely) though it terrified me a ton it wasn't as bad as SH3's first hour.

- Resident Evil 2. Was the first ever survival horror game I ever saw. Was only 7 years old and visiting a friends house and her brother was playing it on the PS1. He made me watch him play it and I had nightmares for weeks.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I was in middle school and my dad bought me the Suffering for the xbox. There is a scene early on where a guard is talking to you then dragged upwards through a vent. I turned off the xbox and didn't touch it for weeks afterwards.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
fatal fame 1 & 2

but mostly alien: isolation. the sound in that game is so fucking good. i beat it but will probably not do a replay. i'm good

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 1 when I was in 7th grade

Silent Hill 3 when playing home alone in the basement at 3am with the sound up and lights off

Silent Hill 4 when I was in college and playing it alone in a town house in the dark at night

Condemned Criminal Origins

P.T. is probably the most tense and frightening game that's not in VR

RE7 in VR. Definitely the most frightening horror experience I've ever had. The VR adds so much to that game.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space and Dead Space 2 for sure.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I stopped playing Deadspace 2 because it was way too stressful for me. The game is just relentless. I'll come back to it some day.