• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ace Attorney:

• Ace Attorney

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Danganronpa

Votes: 34 47.2%

• Total voters

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
For those who are wondering about this. 3rd Case Syndrome is when the third case of any murder mystery game has a repuation of being extremely bad/questionable. It is infamous among the Ace Attorney Community as well as the Danganronpa Community that the third cases are the absoulte worst. So which game series do you think has the worst third cases - Danganronpa or Ace Attorney.

Ace Attorney:

Turnabout Samurai:
latest

Episode 3: Turnabout Samurai is the third episode of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. It revolves around a murder that occurs during a production of the fictional television show The Steel Samurai: Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo. This case introduces the recurring Samurai franchise and features the first time Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey work together as an investigative team. It also features the first appearance of Will Powers, Penny Nichols, and the formidable Wendy Oldbag

Turnabout Big Top

latest

Episode 3: Justice of All is the Third Case of Justice for All and involves the murder of the Ringmaster Jack Hammer. The person that was accused of the crime is Galactica - a stage preformer who was accused of murdering the ringmaster and now Pheonix Wright has to solve the case along with Maya Fey

Recipe for Turnabout

latest

One month ago, former policewoman Maggey Byrde once again found herself on trial for a murder she did not commit. Accused of killing a computer programmer, Maggey was convicted after receiving a shoddy defense from an impostor posing as Phoenix Wright. Now, the real Phoenix demands a retrial for this case, and pieces together the truth behind this murder.

Danganronpa

A Next Generation Legend! Stand Tall,Galatic Hero

1200px-Danganronpa_screen_Ch3-1.jpg

This case involves a complicated double murder of Hifumi and Taka whose body location moved around the area confusing the remaining students. Can they figure out this mystery before they all get executed

Trapped by the Ocean Scent

danganronpa-1_2-reload_20191202020422.jpg

This case involved a double murder between Rockstar Ibuki and the Classical Dancer Hiyoko who may have been murdered due to a disease that was spreading around the island.Can the survivors find out this mystery?

Tranfer Student from Beyond The Grave

20190212172251_1.jpg

This case involves a double murder between the Artist Angie and the Aikodo Master Tenko. In this trial there was an attempted ressurction being preformed by the protagionsts only for it to go horribly wrong. Can they find out this mystery?

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Turnabout Big Top is a travesty. It's so, so much worse than everything else on here.

I actually quite like V3's case, aside from the S E E S A W E F F E C T of it all.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Turnabout Big Top by such a mile. Honestly it's just the worst.

The ONLY redeeming factor it has is that the ultimate villian wasn't an obvious 'bad' guy.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Most will likely say Big Top, but I really dislike Recipe way more. Moe is annoying and all but Armstrong is not good and however fun Furio Tigre is doesn't make up for it.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Turnabout Big Top is the only one I could say is outright BAD.

I think in Ace Attorney's case the more accurate thing to say is that third cases tend to be filler-y and not related to the game's major story arcs. But that doesn't really make them bad, to me at least.

In Dangan Ronpa's case, I had already checked out of the series by the second game so to me the third cases are the least of those games problems lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Turnabout samurai is a great ,fun case and doesn't deserve to be there.
I also think Recipe for Turnabout is fun outside the dumb El Tigre imposter part

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Turnabout Big Top for so many reasons and I have to deal with Oldbag in Turnabout Samurai. V3's case 3 on the other hand removes some of the worst characters from the game, and DR1 case 3 got rid of Hifumi.

The AA Trilogy's got the worse case 3s, for sure.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Turnabout Big Top's "solution" is maybe the most downright nonsensical Looney Tunes garbage I've ever seen, even by Ace Attorney standards. Even without the deliberately annoying witnesses in all three third cases, that alone qualifies it.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I feel Ace Attorney's biggest low (Big Top is worse) but it's highs (Recepie for Turnabout) is better then the Danganronpa Ch3 Cases

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember what exactly it was about it, but I remember having a big issue with either the logic or motive or something not making sense on Turnabout Samurai, so I'll say that lol.
I'm sure it did in hinsight, but I remember there being something that made me go "wait what???" but not in a good, the penny finally dropped, way.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Turnabout Samurai is actually my favourite AA1 case, or at least the one I look the most fondly at. Recipe and all the DR cases are mostly engaging except for an obnoxious element that kind of ruins them at different levels. Big Top is the worst and most boring case out of these, it's not egregiously bad, but it feels like a complete waste of time.

I don't know, I think AA and DR are different enough to compare them like this because they focus on different things, so I would not be able to decide between the two series but Big Top is definitely the worst overall.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
The actual answer is Turnabout Serenade from Apollo Justice

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Ace Attorney 4-3 blows all of them out of the water in terribleness. The defendant is so thoroughly unable to have committed the crime that the case should have ended on Day 1. But then you wouldn't get to watch that unskippable video of the concert every five minutes!

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney 4-3 blows all of them out of the water in terribleness. The defendant is so thoroughly unable to have committed the crime that the case should have ended on Day 1. But then you wouldn't get to watch that unskippable video of the concert every five minutes!
Don't forget that a magician never reveals his tricks, and not even courts can make him!

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From worst to best: V3>DR1>AA1>AA2>DR2>>>>>>>>>>>>AA3.

Recipe for Turnabout is the best non-finale Ace Attorney case and I'll die on that hill. And the other third cases aren't even that bad tbh.

edit: best non-finale case the original trilogy, to be specific. DGS has some incredible ones I'd maybe rank higher, including potentially its case 3 which is phenomenal

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Question, how could have Mikan did everything she did while in the Music Venunue in like 5 Minutes tops[/quote]

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I think in Ace Attorney's case the more accurate thing to say is that third cases tend to be filler-y and not related to the game's major story arcs
Yeah, for the vast majority it feels like you could cut them and the main plot wouldn't be impacted at all, though Recipe for Turnabout at least has
the bit about Godot not being able to see red.

Anyway Turnabout Big Top is fucking miserable.

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, for the vast majority it feels like you could cut them and the main plot wouldn't be impacted at all, though Recipe for Turnabout at least has
the bit about Godot not being able to see red.

Anyway Turnabout Big Top is fucking miserable.
I mean the 3rd cases in Danganronpa are also kinda fillery with only 2 really foreshadowing future events

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Question, how could have Mikan did everything she did while in the Music Venunue in like 5 Minutes tops

The answer to this is that DR2's murder is one of the most rushed murder misteries in the series, and there were massive changes to the way it worked through development. Tons of plotholes, but at least it was enjoyable enough for what it was.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
DangonRonpa.
Ace Attorney at least mixes it up more while DanganRonpa's 'pattern' for third cases makes them collectively worse.
Besides Recipe ain't that bad and Samurai added the Silver Samurai.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Big Top, but shout out to Apollo Justice's 3rd case.

4QZBqhH.png

Haven't played v3 yet. Should really get around to it.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
V3

It was stupid and I hated it. Knew who the killer was immediately.

Big Top isn't THAT bad c'mon

OP
OP
TheGamingNewsGuy

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
If you want a good example of a good Danganronpa Chapter 3 can try out Super Danganronpa Another 2's C3 Case when it finally gets translated and released in English

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
AA at least had The Rite for Turnabout in AA6, which is one of the best cases in the series. Turnabout Academy was pretty inoffensive too.

I hate all the Danganronpa chapter 3s so easy choice.

EDIT: Oh wow, it's right there in the title that you meant the first 3 games, I'm an idiot.

My point still stands. Danganronpa sucks

Oct 25, 2017
Big Top is annoying, but Turnabout Recipe doesn't make any sense from jump. A Phoenix imposter is one thing to go with, but the fact that I'm to believe he actually repped someone in court is ridiculous.

Also, AA1 > AA3

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Ace Attorney. I thought most of those Danganronpa cases were actually pretty good -- particularly the one from Danganronpa 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh i feel Recipe is the best of the AA CH3 Cases from the orginal triligoy
Samurai by a mile. The worse thing I can say about it is that the climax is anti climatic. But it established some good things before they all became tropes.

It was the first time they didn't show you to murder so I was generally wondering if my guy was innocent throughout. Samurai theme remains a series staple. I also just think it's an interesting case.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Phoenix impostor thing is hilarious to me because of how ridiculous everybody's description of him was. They basically all admit he looked nothing like him, sounded nothing like him and acted nothing like him, but he had the spiky hair so they just went along with it

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Turnabout Big Top is an absolute dumpster fire but due to the way the case structure works in the AA series it was mostly self-contained and didn't have a knock on impact on the rest of the game, V3's case 3 was not only just as terrible but despite killing off some of the worst characters its stink still infected the rest of the game.

I didn't really have any major problems with any of the others listed, but DR2's third case is definitely worse than the other AA ones.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Samurai by a mile. The worse thing I can say about it is that the climax is anti climatic. But it established some good things before they all became tropes.

It was the first time they didn't show you to murder so I was generally wondering if my guy was innocent throughout. Samurai theme remains a series staple. I also just think it's an interesting case.

Samurai is fine but hard to replay since they moved onto a 2-day case standard. Goodbyes and Rise from the Ashes at least feel like they deserve to be long drawn out cases, but Samurai only really gets particularly interesting on the last day. Days 1 and 2 are just messing about with fetch quests and interrogating Oldbag and Hackins.