• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

your favorite gta?

• Grand Theft Auto III

Votes: 65 5.0%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Votes: 398 30.9%
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Votes: 388 30.1%
  • Grand Theft Auto IV

Votes: 145 11.2%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Votes: 8 0.6%
  • Grand Theft Auto V

Votes: 268 20.8%

• Total voters

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
San Andreas. I played it at just the right time--after I graduated from high school but before I went off to college. As I was recovering from heart surgery that summer, I didn't have much to do, and that's when I decided to purchase SA. I loved the 90s setting and the shear amount of variety in the map.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The Ballad of Gay Tony for me (it works wonderfully, giving the better view and backside of IV events, and it has the most charm) then V.
San Andreas' gang wars and RC toy stuff, no thanks.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Vice City wins because it was the best setting and peak writing. The radio chatter will never be matched again.

I want to give a shoutout to Chinatown Wars though for somehow making a game where you can sell heroin and getting it onto the DS.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was too young to be able to actually appreciate GTA games pre-4. So I'll have to go with 5. I remember the huge hype, leaving work early to line up at the midnight release, the first time I saw Los Santos. Great game.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
IV will always be my favorite, and Nico Bellic remains one of my favorite game protags of all time.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Vice City is the most memorable for me. SA was good too but I think I grew out of their style of open world games after that.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Vice City. But driving around the world of San Andreas is one of the most interesting to drive around.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
GTAV is the most fun to play, but Vice City is still my favorite setting and story.

I think the 80s theme and everything works really well with the attempted humor and satire GTA is going for that gets a lot more muddled and problematic in more current era settings that are less exaggerated and over the top. That 80s aesthetic goes a long way to making the world feel a lot more surreal.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City the best game in terms of story/setting, but GTA5 is probably the best of the games when it comes to the overall 'experience', the fact I still go back and play the online mode time after time even after all these years is crazy. Such value for money.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
GTAV because of the modern and first person gameplay.

Man, I really want a remake of GTA San Andreas though. That would instantly dethrone GTAV for me.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
San Andreas. The variation of the map and the things you could do in that game at the time blew me away.

Loved the vice city atmosphere with the 80s soundtrack, but there weren't much to do in the world.

Didn't really play much of gta4 or 5. For whatever reason i couldn't get into them.

Trigger

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
San Andreas easily. It's one of the few games with a largely black cast. That was pretty awesome to me when I first got my hands on it. I also loved the family angle. From a gameplay standpoint I loved how much you could do in the game. Customizing CJ, the girlfriends, the jobs, the different schools etc etc.

V is probably my next favorite for just how immersive the environment feels. I love all of the little AI things and the feel of the city. It's also fun creating a character and playing the multiplayer.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
San Andreas. I'd maybe prefer 5 if I hadn't aged 10 years in the meantime, but SA (and to a lesser extent Vice City) are the ones I remember as being the most varied and fun.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Vice City is my favorite in terms of setting and atmosphere. It just felt so magical to me in 2002.

GTA V is the one I'd say is the best so far, in terms of world detail, scope, missions, gameplay and character arcs.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Vice City is my favorite in terms of setting and atmosphere. It just felt so magical to me in 2002.

GTA V is the one I'd say is the best so far, in terms of world detail, scope, missions, gameplay and character arcs.

took the words right out of my mouth. both top 10 games of all time for me.

if they were able to somehow replicate the overall feel and setting of Vice City with the scope of GTA V I'd probably never play another video game ever again

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Nostalgia wise it's Vice City, but as a actual quality video game it's 5. Fingers crossed that 6 is a Vice City reimagining.

hersheyfan