• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
To me it's Princess Mononoke... always gets me even if there's people around, when Ashitaka says he's sorry and hugs San, it breaks me, just breaks me

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Honestly do not know if I've ever cried from a Ghibli film and I've seen them all.

The ones I think about the most are Ocean Waves and Kaguyahime, though.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Like, cumulative, or per viewing?

Because I won't watch Grave of the Fireflies again.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really cried during any Ghibli movies.

Makoto Shinkai movies, on the other hand...

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Princess Mononoke is my favorite by far, but Grave of the Fireflies is the only one that's ever made me cry.

That said, Whisper of the Heart hits me with some sort of really powerful combination of nostalgia and depressing feelings every time I watch it. And I don't know why.

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Well i haven't seen grave of the fireflies, thinking i won't by these posts

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Grave of the Fireflies. And I've only watched it once, while I've watched most of the other ones quite a few times.

Roger Ebert summed it up for me:

It tells a simple story of survival. The boy and his sister must find a place to stay, and food to eat. In wartime their relatives are not kind or generous, and after their aunt sells their mother's kimonos for rice, she keeps a lot of the rice for herself. Eventually, Seita realizes it is time to leave. He has some money and can buy food--but soon there is no food to buy. His sister grows weaker. Their story is told not as melodrama, but simply, directly, in the neorealist tradition. And there is time for silence in it. One of the film's greatest gifts is its patience; shots are held so we can think about them, characters are glimpsed in private moments, atmosphere and nature are given time to establish themselves.

Japanese poets use "pillow words" that are halfway between pauses and punctuation, and the great director Yasujiro Ozu uses "pillow shots"--a detail from nature, say, to separate two scenes. "Grave of the Fireflies" uses them, too. Its visuals create a kind of poetry. There are moments of quick action, as when the bombs rain down and terrified people fill the streets, but this film doesn't exploit action; it meditates on its consequences.

Grave of the Fireflies movie review (1988) | Roger Ebert

In the waning days of World War II, American bombers drop napalm canisters on Japanese cities, creating fire storms. These bombs, longer than a tin can but about as big around, fall to earth trailing cloth tails that flutter behind them; they are almost a beautiful sight. After they hit, there...

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spirited Away got me by surprise at the end.

The music, her saying goodbye to the kid and looking back... Saying he'll see her again.

I just started sprinkling tears.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't cry at any of them but I had an intense emotional reaction to princess Kazuya in a way I can't describe.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I haven't seen Grave yet but all the musical nature scenes in Totoro stir my heart.

I put most of that on Joe Hisaishi's phenomenal score.

Jul 4, 2018
grave-of-the-fireflies2.gif

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Well i haven't seen grave of the fireflies, thinking i won't by these posts

It's one of the most impactful movies I've ever seen. Visiting the Hiroshima Memorial and thinking about all the innocent people caught up in such a war that were just like that brother and sister, it's really heartbreaking.

If you do want to watch it, I'd set aside some time because it can fuck you up. I know that sounds dramatic but I had a few friends watch it and we all agreed that it took quite a few days for it to stop being the center of our minds.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Ive only watched spirited away and howls moving castle and neither made me even cone close to crying...

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies didn't make me cry, but it just made me feel hollow. Like really hollow.

The one Ghibli film that made me cry though was Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies for me obviously, it's probably the hardest watch for me when it comes to the visual media in general. I was only able to watch it from start to finish once in my lifetime, I just can't muster to do it again.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Princess Kaguya. It's not a horrifying movie (I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet because I know it's going to be horrifying), but the tragedy in Kaguya is sad because of how quietly and persistently it distills the grief and tragedy of how young girls are raised and commoditized. We watch this progress through her life, like a bright light dimming until she's gone. It grieves over this with beautiful scenery and wildlife that we know is also slowly being sold and destroyed.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I knew before watching Grave of the Fireflies for the first time that it was going to be a hard movie to watch (from what I heard everyone online say) but I wasn't prepared for the movie at all.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I admit, I get pretty sentimental towards many of the films, but I don't think I've ever cried during on.

Whispers of the Heart came darn close.
0e2898ebf71b6dd43ea1795d575666ac138cc157.gif

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's Grave of the Fireflies. Saw it for the first time a few years ago in theaters for an anniversary showing. I was a mess by the end of it. Didn't expect it to hit me like it did.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's Grave of the Fireflies. Not many movies out there can make you sob so hard you hyperventilate.

Other than that, I don't think any really have? The end credits of Castle in the Sky always make me sort of... heartache-y, I guess? The music and visual of the city just makes me really emotional for some reason, it's hard to pin down exactly how/why.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Then clearly you have missed Grave of the Fireflies
It's one of the ones I've seen more than any of the others! War films don't really get me. I tend to approach them too academically. I think the movie is excellent and its points on suffering very impactful and well structured, it just doesn't make me cry.

I am a heartless robot, essentially.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies. It's absolutely crushing. Best movie I doubt I'll ever watch again. My wife absolutely never wants to watch it again.

A second place, I am not sure.
Wind Rises reminds me of a friend, so its a heart felt experience.
Marnie is up there.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Princess Kaguya, even though I knew what was going to happen. Wind Rises and Fireflies are up there though, just been a really long time since I saw Fireflies.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
Spirited Away
Only Yesterday
Whispers of the Heart
My Neighbor Totoro

All at least have made me cry on one watch or another.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Kaguya and Totoro (happy tears for Totoro though).

I rewatched Grave of the Fireflies the day Isao Takahata passed away and I shed so many tears I was practically reborn.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies. It's been built up to me to be something dreadfully bleak, so I don't want to see it.

The flashback with Porco Rosso and pilot's heaven gets me every time.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I've cried during the majority of Studio Ghibli movies at some point.

I've only seen Grave of the Fireflies three times, which is much less than my view count for the other movies.

Princess Kaguya. It's not a horrifying movie (I haven't seen Grave of the Fireflies yet because I know it's going to be horrifying), but the tragedy in Kaguya is sad because of how quietly and persistently it distills the grief and tragedy of how young girls are raised and commoditized. We watch this progress through her life, like a bright light dimming until she's gone. It grieves over this with beautiful scenery and wildlife that we know is also slowly being sold and destroyed.
This is all on point. Princess Kaguya destroys me by the end.

Other than that, I don't think any really have? The end credits of Castle in the Sky always make me sort of... heartache-y, I guess? The music and visual of the city just makes me really emotional for some reason, it's hard to pin down exactly how/why.
Castle in the Sky also affects me. I remember the first time I watched it, it didn't make much of an impression. So I was very surprised that on my second viewing I cried in some of the scenes with the robots in the floating city.

Jan 2, 2018
5 Centimeters Per Second I think is the closest I've got to crying like I did watching Grave of the Fireflies.
Your Name was the first movie that made my cry, the first movie ever; I cry to the last fourth of the movie every time I watch it. I was also was a wreck after Garden of Words. Weathering with You really got me, and 5 Centimeter Per Second as well as The Place Promised in Our Early Days made me emotionally.
Both Shinkai and Studio Ghibli make god tier anime in my opinion.
I agree! Ver different styles, but both are wonderful!