• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Jak 2 is among my top 5 games of all time, the very best action-adventure platformer of that generation and ranks among Naughty Dog's very best. You all can take a walk with the now tired 'edgelord' bullshit that it's maligned with. I suppose a parallel case to it would be the aforementioned Warrior Within.

Also, to follow the much due credit for Bioshock Infinite, which I wholeheartedly agree with, I'll add that its DLC Burial At Sea is undoubtedly superior and more ambitious to Minerva's Den which is the one that receives all the acclaim.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Metroid Prime 2 is my favorite Nintendo published game.

I also think Assassins Creed Revelations might be my favorite AC game prior to Origins. I just love how they tie together the Ezio and Altair stories. I feel like it is probably the strongest writing ever in the series. And while the outside-the-animus stuff isn't great, it's not the complete fuck-up that 3 was.

Also I don't think of it as a "black sheep", but Uncharted 3 is the best Uncharted from a writing and setpiece perspective, and my favorite in the series overall.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I've mentioned it time and time again in prior threads like this, but Assassin's Creed Unity is easily one of my favorite games in the series. It was almost doomed from the start because Ubisoft were expecting the current gen systems to pack more powerful CPUs, but despite that major hurdle, they managed to churn out something fairly unique. In some sense, Unity is a game that should've been built for the PS5/Scarlett in 2020 rather than the PS4/XB1 in 2014. Regardless, it proved to be a really good game, if a bit rough around the edges — like a next gen take on the first Assassin's Creed which is something I really wanted after the Ezio trilogy did a major pivot, and then again with III, IV, Rogue, and Liberation. What Ubisoft accomplished with the interiors and NPC density is nothing short of impressive. And the co-op was loads of fun when playing with someone who knew what they were doing.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Fallout 4

People can bitch all they want about lame dialogue options, but Fallout 4's take on Boston is my favorite sandbox map from them to date.

It's a world that I can just disappear into and carve out my own adventure based on whatever whims I have atm. And the world just keeps on turning all around me regardless of how I poke & prod at it.

An incredibly immersive environment that's brimming with possibility.
Halo Reach is the best halo.
This is what I came here to post: Fallout 4 and Halo Reach.

There are several areas that I think Fallout 3/NV are better than F4, but on the whole, I enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 the most. I thought it had the best sandbox and gameplay. I put more hours into Fallout 4 than 3 and NV combined. I should note, I've never played the original games.

And Halo Reach is my favorite Halo primarily cause of the MP. I think it's the best Halo MP overall, and probably my favorite MP on console. I enjoyed the campaign quite a bit, though in that regard I gotta stick with the Chief.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Star Ocean 3.

I didn't midn the twist, and the game at 480p on a PS2 just looked and felt so good.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas

thank god, there's like, 4 of us.

But yeah, I prefer LoM heavily over its looming sibling, SoM. I love the art, the world, and the music a lot more.

Alternative answer: I really like FFXII. Since there's a million of those games (well, 15) I don't think it's the "black sheep," per say, but it doesn't feel like one of the most popular ones for sure.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Good idea for a thread.

After some thought, I don't think any of my favorite games from any franchise is the "worst" one. I do think Super Paper Mario gets a lot of unfair and unwarranted criticism only because it isn't turn based. It's still a great game. TTYD is still the best though.

Gears 1 is undoubtedly the best Gears of War game. That will never change. I know it sounds elitist as fuck, but let's be real... Any real Gears fan will say the same thing. It's not nostalgia or rose tinted glasses. Mechanically and from a design and direction standpoint, it is the superior game. Back when the game required the most skill and was in it's rawest, purest form without any bullshit (besides connectivity issues of course). Every game after Gears 1 is inferior.

Metroid Prime 2 IS the best game in the series though.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Twin Snakes. The hate the game gets is unfair. Yeah, the cutscenes are over the top compared to the original, but it fits with the rest of the series, which everyone conveniently ignores.

Another critique of the game is the new gameplay mechanics making you op. But what these critics fail to admit is that you can complete the game without the use of the new mechanics. Essentially allowing you to play it as the original.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Twin Snakes. The hate the game gets is unfair. Yeah, the cutscenes are over the top compared to the original, but it fits with the rest of the series, which everyone conveniently ignores.

Another critique of the game is the new gameplay mechanics making you op. But what these critics fail to admit is that you can complete the game without the use of the new mechanics. Essentially allowing you to play it as the original.
I really liked Twin Snakes too, but I wonder if that's because I first played through it fully right after I played MGS2 and MGS3 on Xbox 360. I played the original back in the PS1 days, but didn't beat it (I only played it whenever I went to a friend's and didn't get much further than the Sniper Wolf part I think?), but damn... if I were to play one of the two now (TS vs OG) it'd be Twin Snakes any day of the week.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
GTA2 for me. I've never found another GTA game that's captivated me in the same way.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
It isn't considered the black sheep in its series, but I see few people acknowledging Yakuza 5 as what it is: the best game in the series by far

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite 3D Mario. I love the openness, the environments, and FLUDD.

Of the Metroid Prime games, I think most people consider Metroid Prime 2 to be the worst one, although I could be wrong. Unsurprisingly, Metroid Prime 2 happens to be my favorite as well. Similar to Dark Souls 2, this game does its own thing and involves a conflict that's unrelated to the larger narrative that's typically present in the Metroid games.
I'd argue that Metroid Prime 3 is the black sheep of the series. It's the most combat-focused, and its areas are the most isolated.

Last edited:

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Halo 4, DmC, BioShock Infinite, Burnout Revenge (and also Dominator and Legends), Metroid Fusion (I prefer Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, but Fusion is my most favourite game to return to every once in a while), Super Mario Sunshine (better than Odyssey)

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Fallout 4

People can bitch all they want about lame dialogue options, but Fallout 4's take on Boston is my favorite sandbox map from them to date.

It's a world that I can just disappear into and carve out my own adventure based on whatever whims I have atm. And the world just keeps on turning all around me regardless of how I poke & prod at it.

Yes! I agree. I would say their boston is almost as good as skyrim, infact.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 was my favorite of the trilogy for a while, but now I think 3 surpassed it.
GTA IV is probably my fav GTA (or tied with SA)

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
The King of Fighters XI. It was the last game that used the tag mechanics that have been abandoned since. I still think it's the best playing KOF game (though 2k2UM is really close). It's also only been ported to PS2(!!!!) and hadn't been re-released since. Practically lost to time

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying Zelda 2 - I love Zelda 2, but isn't Tri Force Heroes the actual black sheep of that franchise? Or did everyone choose to forget it happened?

Also, I'm pretty sure Metroid Other M is the black sheep of the Metroid series, instead of Prime 2. Unless you're counting Prime as a separate thing.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Parasite Eve 2 is my favorite game in the series and it doesn't seem to have many fans.
BoF: Dragon Quarter is my favorite BoF game and it's drastically different than the other games.
Wild Arms XF is my favorite Wild Arms game and it's a Strategy/RPG spin-off on the PSP that didn't review well.
Dragon Quest VI is my favorite of the pre-modern DQ games and it usually doesn't get much love compared to DQ3-5.
Lunar: Eternal Blue is my favorite Lunar game, but most people focus on the 1st game since it's the one that gets constantly rereleased.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Pokémon Black / White (though they're nearly tied with HeartGold / SoulSilver)
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity
  • Halo Reach
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (I guess this one isn't quite a black sheep, but a lot of people seem to give it shit for its gameplay, especially in comparison to KH2FM)

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I have a bunch of these but the most notable one has to be Sonic Lost World. I see Sonic fans shitting on this game everywhere yet I think it's actually a good 3D Sonic game, sitting only behind Adventure 1 and Generations.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Fallout 4

I agree. It's easily a better game for me than 3.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Arkham Origins wasn't my fave, but I also never got the hate for it. (Especially since RS released AK...yuck).

I prefer the III series of Street Fighter games. I also preferred 2nd impact > 3rd Strike, even if i admit 3S plays better

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I liked Assassin's Creed 1 more than 2. Didn't care about the rest, played a bit of Black Flag but didn't grab me. Bought Origins but couldn't go beyond the tutorial the two times I tried.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
STALKER Clear Sky... I still have no idea why it's considered the worst by far, I had way more fun with it than any of the others!

I don't think I've ever seen anyone else who shares the opinion, either!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I have a bunch of these but the most notable one has to be Sonic Lost World. I see Sonic fans shitting on this game everywhere yet I think it's actually a good 3D Sonic game, sitting only behind Adventure 1 and Generations.

The first level of Sonic Lost World was amazing IMO. I liked the game generally, but the level design quality is all over the place.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword by far. The game has some of the best dungeons in the series, has an excellent story and supporting cast, and the fact the motion controls hold up for a 40+ hour game was an achievement in itself.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
The first level of Sonic Lost World was amazing IMO. I liked the game generally, but the level design quality is all over the place.
Can't argue with that, but I still really enjoyed going through the game, I just loved how it looked and played, certainly more so than the torture that is the Werehog or having to replay levels for mandatory collectibles.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Metroid Prime 2 is probably my favorite of the Prime games since I find the world building and lore the most interesting.