• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game has the better music: Super Mario World, or Sonic the Hedgehog?

• Super Mario World

Votes: 310 41.9%
  • Sonic the Hedgehog

Votes: 378 51.1%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 52 7.0%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017

Let us see what Resetera thinks about this classic gaming rivalry, but in musical form this time.

Which of these classic game soundtracks do you prefer? I'm assuming that a large portion of us have every note of both of these games' OSTs burned into our brains, so we all probably have an opinion too. So now it's time for you to vote.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with SMW on this one.

Any other Genesis Sonic and it might be a different story

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If we're specifically just talking about Sonic 1, I think SMW takes it. The only song I remember clearly from 1 is Green Hill Zone. Now if we're talking about 2 and 3, then that's a different conversation.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Compared to the original Sonic? SMW easily. Sonic 2 likely has it beat though, and 3 DEFINITELY does.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
Super Mario World - solely due to the incredible ending theme IMO, although the Sonic soundtrack is very good.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like neither of these games is well-known for their soundtrack - but I submit that Green Hill Zone's theme is so iconic that it alone wins this battle.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
SMW vs. Sonic 1? Sonic all the way. It's not even close IMO, but looks like I'm in the minority so far. Both have superior underwater tracks though that I love equally.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Sonic 1 is one of the series' least memorable soundtracks but music has never really been 2D Mario's strong suit. I don't think I would listen to any of SMW's soundtrack outside of the game besides maybe the final boss theme.

If you involve the Galaxy games and 3D World you start to get some real competition though.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like neither of these games is well-known for their soundtrack

LOL, Sonic the Hedgehog was advertised in Japan by being composed by one of the members of Dreams Come True, one of the biggest pop groups at the time. The very first time Sonic the Hedgehog was ever unveiled, period, was on the side of a tour bus for the band. The original story for the game was about Sonic being a singer for the band. The music was an enormous selling point for Sonic.

300px-Sonicdebut.jpg

latest

Several of Sonic's songs are actually renditions of DCT's hit songs from Japan.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I love how Super Mario World reuses the same music in a sense throughout the game, changing up the tempo and instrumentation from track to track. I definitely find myself humming Super Mario World music more often than I find myself humming Sonic the Hedgehog music, but I think that's more so due to how similar the various tracks throughout Super Mario World are. In terms of quality and variety, I have to say Sonic the Hedgehog has the better music.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I always had a dislike for the music in Mario World. Maybe not the compositions but the instrumentation.
But either way i'm going with Sonic. The iconic Green Hill, the funky Spring Yard, the beautiful Star Light, the industrial and menacing Scrap Brain and the excellent Final Zone takes it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic has always had the better OST. Even though Sonic 1 is the weakest of the bunch.

Edit : Wth the poll results , I guess there is noway Sonic is beating Mario in a poll on Era.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sonic has catchy music. Mario has some good stuff, but a lot of silly or childish sounding music that I don't care for.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a fan of Sonic or the games overall, but if there's one area Sonic excels, it is in the music department. Stuff like Chemical Plant Zone alone is above any Mario platformer song outside of some tracks in Mario Galaxy and 3D World.

IMO the only Mario games with Sonic quality music are the Galaxy games and Mario Kart 8. 🤷‍♀️

MK8 is definitely up there.

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic 1 off the strength of Green Hill Zone by itself. SMW isn't touching Spring Yard Zone either.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The first two worlds of sonic are memorable but I think as a whole smw has more memorable tracks that get stuck in your head.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
LOL, Sonic the Hedgehog was advertised in Japan by being composed by one of the members of Dreams Come True, one of the biggest pop groups at the time. The very first time Sonic the Hedgehog was ever unveiled, period, was on the side of a tour bus for the band. The original story for the game was about Sonic being a singer for the band. The music was an enormous selling point for Sonic.

300px-Sonicdebut.jpg

latest

Several of Sonic's songs are actually renditions of DCT's hit songs from Japan.

well damn, lmao

I mean, I gave it to Sonic on the strength of Green Hill alone - I didn't know the game was marketed anywhere as an audio tour-de-force. Here in America when I was a kid, it was about how cool and fast Sonic was! I learned something today.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic's Soundtrack is so well known, they even included the original renditions of some of the songs in other games:

This song became Labyrinth Zone.

Sakon

Jul 19, 2019
Green Hill Zone is probably better than any track in Mario World, but other than that? Get real lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which game specifically? I prefer SMW over Sonic 1's OST, but the Genesis trilogy as a whole more or less smokes the OG Mario games.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Pick any mainline sonic game and it's ost will be better than any mainline Mario game.
And I'm not even talking about insert theme songs that the adventure era was famous for.