• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Games that had you like

patent3wxksx.jpg

While almost any game works in portable mode, I'm curious what games people were most enticed to specifically play them in portable mode and why, or what games did you end up playing in portable mode the most for no particular reason.

I know that Dead Cells has to be my most played game in portable mode and I just ended up getting a better feel for it than playing on the TV. The TV is usually in use for other reasons, and since the game was so engaging, it was also done by necessity.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
The new Zelda start to finish along with a certain goose game. It's been dreamy. HONK!!!

*all games played portable have been wonderful for my lifestyle.

Last edited:

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
All the Picross games for sure.

I also played Dandara, Kamiko, Axiom Verge, Blossom Tales, and other similarly styled games mostly in handheld mode.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Link's Awakening

It was already a handheld game. I don't use handheld mode any other time usually.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Stardew valley, CONSUMED ME.

I would be thinking about it at work and go straight to laying in bed and play as soon as I got home. That was a fun week

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
none, can't game on small screens.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I've played almost everything in portable mode. Stardew Valley is by far my most played. I just hooked my launch switch to the TV for the first time on Sunday lol

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Except Smash, I played all my games on handheld mode 100% of the time. So the one game I played the most is Fire Emblem Three Houses.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I play a lot of games in portable mode, but the one I played the most is likely Three Houses. I spent a lot of my playtime in portable mode (and somehow the text size didn't bug me a whole lot).

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
Im weird, stuff like DQ11 and Zelda I like playing on the big screen but games like Hollow Knight, Mana Collection, and Fire Emblem I preferred handheld

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if I've played the Dragon Quest XI demo or Breath of Fire the most. In any case, I mostly prefer portable mode only for turn based RPGs.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Diablo 3 or Dead Cells. I can't play something like BotW on a portable. That's a couch and tv game.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I played Link's Awakening for about an hour yesterday in portable mode. That's by far the most I've used my Switch not in the dock.

bit8baracus

Oct 29, 2017
None so far but that might all change when I finally get the thicker joycons that look like a pro controller cut in half

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Hollow Knight. Played that one exclusively in handheld.

edit: tested it recently, and the game is downright unplayable in docked mode to me. I logged 120 hours in that game in handheld, and am so used to the joycon. I can't play it with the Pro Controller because the directional sticks are able to move more freely on that thing. The ones on the Joycon are more 'limited' so to speak, which I have gotten used to. Split Joycon or the Joycon grip also don't feel right.

Jan 29, 2018
Basically none. I like my TV a lot.

Though recently I've played some Kingdom Two Crowns in handheld while Netflix is on.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Gonna copy-and-paste from a Reddit post I made.

There are three Switch games I played exclusively in handheld mode:

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Yoshi's Crafted World

Horizon Chase Turbo

Yoshi's Crafted World is such a "cozy" game that I didn't want to play it anywhere but in bed, and Horizon Chase Turbo feels like such a "handheld" game (which is not an insult) that choosing not to play it in handheld mode would've felt wrong.

I have no reason for playing Mario + Rabbids exclusively in handheld. That's just the way it turned out.

Oct 28, 2017
Battle Chasers Night War was that game in 2018.

This year it's Three Houses. I haven't even seen it in docked mode.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I played 180 hours of Fire Emblem mostly in portable so...probably that.

NappingRat

Jul 2, 2018
Necrodancer and Necromancer of Hyrule are far superior experiences for me (with limited gaming skill) in handheld mode. I've done game mode on the TV, all video smoothing off, but the latency from controllers+HDMI is just a little bit off-putting for the Rhythm games.

I know there's an offset, but I'm not reliable enough with my button inputs to calibrate it accurately 😁!

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Mario + Rabbids while on vacation

I tried BotW handheld a couple times when I was forced to by empty joycon batteries, but I couldn't stand it. There are too many little details and things in the distance for BotW to be played on a small screen

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Smash, I guess? I play all my games portably and it's my most played game by several magnitudes (270+ hours logged while my next biggest game, Mario Odyssey, is at a puny 70 hours). I also like to pop in Mario Maker 2 here and there for a few levels.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Prolly Torchlight 2 because joy con drift affects it less for me. I've played a LOT more of other games, but this one is my go-to for portable.

I play a ton of Dead Cells and BotW and Celeste, but the drift really compromises those in portable, especially Celeste. Torchlight is a delight despite it because I can just sorta force it and it's super forgiving anyway.

Jan 2, 2018
Probably Octopath Traveler, since I played BotW mostly on the TV. I played through OT in portable mode for probably 90% of my playtime.