• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game had the biggest turnaround?

• Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege

Votes: 145 21.0%
  • No Man's Sky

Votes: 223 32.3%
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Votes: 62 9.0%
  • For Honor

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Final Fantasy 14

Votes: 258 37.4%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
One of the advantages of modern gaming is developers being able to patch their games, fix what's wrong and turn a complete critical failure into an amazing game. So, which game from this gen do you think had the biggest turnaround?

For me it's between NMS and Siege. Both were heavily criticized at launch for lying in the trailers, having graphical downgrades and more, but nowadays they both do what advertised and more. Hell, in both cases the upgrades were free.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
FFXIV.

Not sure if it counts as 'this gen' but it's pretty significant. I'd also put Siege on that list too, that game was really rough on launch. The folks over at Ubisoft really put in the work though and it's transformed into something else entirely. No Man Sky too, Hello Games really went above and beyond what they promised after that awful, awful launch.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
No Man's Sky without question, even if I didn't think it was a particularly bad game when it came out. FFXIV is a little more dubious since it initially came out in 2010, well before this gen.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
No Man's Sky. The sheer hate NMS got and the turnaround was like nothing I've seen before. FF14 too, but I don't count it as from this gen.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite.

Went from this destined to be forgotten fort building game to randomly throwing out a battle royale mode.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to vote FF XIV, but the sheer hate NMS got compared to what it is now is unbelievable.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Why is For Honor on this list? I don't remember anything particularly bad about the game.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Siege is far and away one of the most played and best selling games of the gen.

Of course, it never had an actually bad reputation the way NMS had, so it depends on what your focus is I guess (reception and reputation versus players and sales).

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Halo MCC.

All parts of the game including the campaigns were buggy and crashed consistently. The amount of work 343i and their partners have done to not only fix the game but also going out of their way by adding additional features, Reach, and a proper PC port is amazing stuff.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The people who aren't saying Rainbow Six Siege as if it isn't the best selling multiplayer shooter not named Fortnite is fuckin laughable to me.

It's either that or MCC.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally it was Sea of Thieves. The game shipped incredibly fun but very low on content. They pushed back a bunch of planned content and microtransactions in order to provide the community with what it wanted. They were already doing a great job and the latest mega update just added so much more to flesh the game out incredibly.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It's either Siege or MCC. No Man's Sky still isn't a game I want to play yet.

Oct 27, 2017
The entire internet was criticizing the game because of the lack of servers, extremely unbalanced gameplay and mtx fuckfest it was at launch.

You do not have the right scope of the For Honor problems if you bundle this game to the same category as MCC or NMS.

You might want to consider Fortnite for this category because it morphed from the dead-end PVE game into the biggest game this gen. ESO is another game which was deeply flawed in all categories and somehow turned into a success.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on which matters more: where it started or where it ended up.

Siege started out being fine but disappointing and ended up being a juggernaut, whereas MCC started out being completely broken and ending up a pretty good product.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
FF14 was last gen, but its THE number 1 comeback for a game ever. MMO's don't get second chances, and yet here it is about to release its 3rd expansion at the height of its popularity.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely No Man's Sky. It's legitimately one of the coolest games from this generation and it started out as dogshit.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Siege, though any of them are decent choices.

A smooth launch for MCC on PC (especially if stuff like campaign cross-play is added) could take it though.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of numbers, Rainbow Six Siege, easily.

In terms of perception I'd say No Man's Sky. I rather liked the game from the start (the thing that sold it to me was the idea of it generating those old-school science-fiction cover art worlds, and it did that pretty well right from the start), but it clearly underdelivered what was promised and people were justifiably frustrated at that. The support for the game since launch has expanded it far beyond the original release and I think most people would now agree it's delivered what they hoped for, even if they aren't entirely happy with how it got to that point.

In technical terms it's got to be FFXIV. Rebuilding an MMO from scratch is no mean feat.

This is definitely worth a mention too.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Man's Sky was disappointing upon release but it was not an abysmal game. The core experience was there and though it was improved upon, it is not a radically different game from when it launched. Final Fantasy XIV failed at its most basic functions, it failed at basic attacks. You had to click for each basic attack in the game and it was redone from scratch.

As much as I applaud Hello Games for turning around No Man's Sky I think FFXIV's task was monumental in comparison. They turned one of the worst launches of any MMO in history into one of the most respectable games ever released and while No Man's Sky improved, it did not reach that level of difference.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's final fantasy XIV and I don't see how it can even be close unless you don't count it as this gen?

Like the game went from being literal unplayable garbage to one of the best MMOs of all time that's thriving in the post-MMO era.

No Man's Sky and The Division were disappointing releases that improved drastically but something like FFXIV night never

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Siege was never a bad game and was great since day 1. Other than some ironing out some of the polish, the stuff that game was criticized for such as "lack of modes" or "content" or whatever paled in comparison to what the critics missed which was how deep the gameplay was.

That game is just the story of a great game getting better. On the flip side FF14 was a dumpster fire. Now look where it is today. It had a far bigger turn around.

Oct 25, 2017
MCC nearly taken the entire Halo franchise and Xbox brand.
It's now being held as a beacon of new leadership and goals for Xbox, and coming to Steam as well.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
As much as For Honor developed and became way better than its first year, I'll still choose Siege every-time. It's insane how this game today looks and plays totally like a different new game. Much love and respect to the Siege team. Psst please fix the audio and weird glitches

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Siege is a top 10 game this gen. Have been playing consistently since launch and it's great to see it's evolution.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Siege, it's literally one of the top played games on Xbox. It did not have any hype and everyone forgot about it, only for it to slowly rise back up over the years.

Achlotter

Apr 30, 2019
Battlefront 2. It was horrible at launch, and it's pretty decent now. Still has some problems, but nothing major.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Fortnite.

Went from this destined to be forgotten fort building game to randomly throwing out a battle royale mode.

Yeah, it's this, innit?

Also, honorable mention to Warframe. Not that it was bad or broken upon release, but the strides it has made from fairly unremarkable to one of the most content-rich, ever-evolving games-as-service games out there are really enormous. Its support is comparable to Fortnite's, from a developer a fraction of the size.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Really nothing comes close to FFXIV, it's ridiculous, went from a 49 metacritic score to 89, I doubt it'll ever be topped.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I put siege simply because the game is still massive and bigger then ever and still being supported, on top of being a superb game.

But yeah, ff14 and no nams sky are contenders for games that started like piss and ended up being good.

Although didnt ff14 realise before ps4?