• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which game had the better soundtrack?

• Chrono Trigger

Votes: 176 41.1%
  • Chrono Cross

Votes: 252 58.9%

• Total voters

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Both so good but Cross was on another level for it's time. I was obsessed first time I played it. Used to keep the game running on areas so I can listen to the music.

I did the same thing, i remember just taking my sweet time in Another Termina because that song just made me feel alive, and there on that town. It's so incredible....

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think Cross might hit some higher highs than Trigger, but overall, I like listening to Trigger more, so that one gets my vote.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Cross is legitimately one of the best soundtrack of all time. One listen to Scars of Time is enough to convince me even more.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
You dont have to be a Cross fan to appreciate its masterpiece of a soundtrack.

PSX Mitsuda was godlike and Xenogears and CC had some of the best soundtracks ever.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Chrono Cross was generally considered to be The Greatest Game Soundtrack of All Time™ by the gaming community-at-large for the entire decade prior to NieR's release. Did the past change while I wasn't looking?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
i don't really like the chrono cross battle theme, and since it plays so often I feel it drags down the quality of the soundtrack as a whole

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to choose yet. Chrono Trigger has very memorable music, but then I haven't actually finished Chrono Cross yet, and it also has really good music. The disc format on Cross gives it an overall advantage though I think.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Tough one, and IMO they're both different enough that I don't want to compare them lol. Both amazing OSTs as well. I'm gonna pick CC, but only because of its variance and instrumentation. CT is the originator of many of the melodies in CC. Honestly a toss up.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
There is no way in hell I accept Chrono Cross as the superior soundtrack as long as the Termina theme is on it. It's the reason I stopped playing the game, it is literally ear-shredding.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Out of context: Chrono Cross.

With context: Chrono Trigger.

See, Chrono Cross is a much better soundtrack, but despite playing both games multiple times, I actually don't have many memories associated with Chrono Cross's soundtrack, where I can remember where basically all the music is used in Chrono Trigger, so when that soundtrack plays, I am suddenly back in Zeal, or 600AD.

I'm the opposite, I can think of a Chrono Cross zone and the first thing that comes to mind is the exact music that plays. The music really sells the zones.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Cross has the best video game soundtrack ever. At least from my limited experience.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played Trigger for the first time last year, never played Cross. But from the many years of listening on YouTube, Cross still gets my vote easy.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
It's really hard to pick. Nitpicks about the gameplay aside, the "quality" argument is muddled by the fact that one game can use CD-quality audio/samples and the other can't in addition to being able to just have way more of it in general. As others have said, it's also hard to objectively parse Trigger for me as so much of that game is wrapped in the nostalgia of my childhood, wherein I literally developed most of my early musical ear and transcription skills by making midi's of the OST, and I never owned a playstation and didn't play Cross until my mid-late teens. That being said, Cross has some obvious marks of compositional improvement from Mitsuda, more widespread/consistent use of leitmotif and broader thematic development and instrumentation use (though Trigger was no slouch in that regard either). IMHO though, while Trigger has a better OST on average, the high's of Cross' are unbeatable. Time's Scar is just hair-raising.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I voted for Chrono Cross, as I give it a slight edge, overall. However, I will mention that Chrono Cross's regular battle music is trash and worse than any individual track in Chrono Trigger.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Trigger, but they're hardly comparable imo. There's a few key tracks in Cross that are amazing, but also a bunch of lesser ones imo. I'd have to listen to them side by side, but I remember Trigger being more consistently great.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Chrono Cross and it's not even remotely close, i don't think how can anyone can say CT OST is better after playing both, which i bet most people voting for CT haven't.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross and it's not even remotely close, i don't think how can anyone can say CT OST is better after playing both, which i bet most people voting for CT haven't.
I played both.

I just find Chrono Trigger's just far more memorable. Time's Scar is the only Chrono Cross track that hits the highs of Chrono Trigger's for me.

The two soundtracks have very different styles, so it's hard to truly compare them since that's such a subjective thing. Saying someone could only like it more out of ignorance is a poor take.

Shepherd

Oct 25, 2017
Cross has probably the best OST of all time. It's the only thing it has better than Trigger, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger's OST is excellent and brings back very fond memories, having played that game first...

...but Scars of Time has made me cry once. I think Cross wins.

(also Gale is fine as a battle theme, haters can leave)

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Chrono Cross is legitimately one of the best soundtrack of all time. One listen to Scars of Time is enough to convince me even more.

I remember the first time me, my bro, and friend watched that opening.
We just sat there in silence a nice 3 seconds and someone went "...wow".

I've played it for non-gamers who think it's an absolutely amazing tune.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Brink of time is amazing, thank you whoever brought it up.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
In October 2019 I went to Japan to see the Tokyo Philharmonic perform medleys of both OSTs.

I still like Chrono Trigger's music better, but Chrono Cross is nothing to scoff at. I think I feel this way because I associate the tracks in Chrono Trigger to specific characters and moments, whereas in Chrono Cross I only associate them with places.

Anyways, both rule.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger is obviously the better game, but Mitsuda blew his previous work out of the water in Cross.