• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gunstar Heroes. Easy.
That was the Contra style game I never knew I needed back then. The amount of frantic, nonstop action blew my mind. Still wonderful to pick up and play.

Space

Aug 16, 2018
Gunstar Heroes is the unsung hero of the Mega Drive/ Genesis, it's one of the few games that I feel the SNES did not have a real answer for on it's platform, and Ikaruga is still my favorite bullet hell and a masterpeice I've owned on multiple platforms, that game still warps my brain, and I think the hardest game I've ever played. Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga should be experienced by every generation just so they know the joy of the shooter at it's most profound level.

Oct 30, 2017
I will always associate Stretch Panic with GameGO! magazine, a short lived venture in 2001. Tons of people from their message boards migrated to TNL forums and some of us are here at Resetera.
0oqnMnmNiEvQVWORo44ygUzMG2e4zq42_BcSjKR9QXPkUmhZ7LHUQR9ec2220KlvZC6e62R0fDiD16N_7obORmTpwA9CdYx9LWDmGYnTMk5YMcPM

Disappointing game, though.
Same here. ECM followed the time-tested tradition established by Dave Halverson of over-hyping a quirky, somewhat hardcore Japanese game that isn't very good.

Oct 28, 2017
Radiant Silvergun. Not a fan of boss fights so their run-'n'-guns never did much for me, and I prefer RSG's more conventional shmup gameplay to the polarity mechanic and limited arsenal in Ikaruga. I need to check out Gradius V one of these days.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Mischief Makers followed by Gunstar Super Heroes. I still remember sweating quite a bit trying to get those gold gems in MM, especially during the boss battles.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
The first Sin & Punishment. It has good action and pacing, great set pieces, an enjoyable story, and I just adore the aesthetic of the game.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My easy choice is S&P2, which I consider at the pinnacle of action games.

In terms of pure design, Ikaruga feels perfect. But I am terrible at it, so I can only appreciate it from afar or with unlimited continues.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Their best game is Alien Soldier. My favourite is Bangai-O on the Dreamcast.

To expand on why, I'll quote a post I made previously about the game.
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangai-O is one of my favourite games for the Dreamcast and may be Treasure's most under-rated game IMO. It's essentially a twin-stick shooter (once you swap the controls to ABXY) with a gravitational element a la Thrust but uses face buttons instead of a second stick like Super Smash TV on the SNES. As a side note, no the twin sticks peripheral doesn't work with this.

You have two characters to choose from which can be swapped between at any point, one of which fires homing rockets while the other fires ricocheting lasers. The levels - of which there are 44 IIRC - can get pretty intense and have some light puzzle elements too involving navigating falling blocks or utilising the properties of the 2 weapons. The real genius though is the special weapon. This releases a radial burst of missiles/lasers, the amount of which is proportional to how much danger you're immediately in. This encourages you to try and get into the middle of enemy fire to maximise this and when you release a 400-max burst, God damn is it satisfying. You can hold up to 5 of these in reserve and you recharge them by blowing shit up. While sometimes it may be best to kite and pick off enemies one by one, other times offence is very much the best form of defence and diving head first into a mass of enemies and utilising the special weapon is the better option.

A major aspect of the level design is destructible enemy spawners that if you let them, can completely fill the stage with bad guys. Some stages are actually quite small and can seem impossibly overwhelming if you're too cautious. The flip side is your special weapon charges extremely quickly because there's so many enemies so these stages are incredibly exhilirating once you get the hang of the game. Your hitbox is generous so with a bit of practise you can dance yourself into as dangerous a position as possible before unleashing Hell. You can take up to 8 hits but i-frames are limited so you can get destroyed almost instantly if you're careless. Causing great big fuck-off explosions usually spawns health pickups though so there's a great risk/reward system in play. The special weapon also often slows the game to a crawl as the poor Dreamcast struggles to render all the carnage. While this is a technical shortcoming, there's something that's actually quite rewarding about bringing the machine to its knees and almost feels intentional. Needless to say I love this game and think it's one great big adrenaline rush.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
2D9Wu.gif

I was curious about what this Stretch Panic game was so I looked it up. This is probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. xD

If you can ignore (or maybe appreciate the humor in?) the women with ridiculously gigantic breasts, the gameplay is kind of interesting in a tech-demo way. The physics involved with it on an early PS2 game are kind of fascinating and I wish they had expanded on them. Sadly the game is only infamous because of the giant breasts.

Luminary

Dec 28, 2019
There's loads I haven't played but I have to give it to Guardian Heroes. Adore that game. I also think it's crazy how forgotten and under-appreciated Dynamite Headdy is.