• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017
TreasureCoLogo.png

As popular as this developer is, I don't hear much about them anymore.

I think their last release was Ikaruga for the Nintendo Switch in 2018?

I know them mostly for Ikaruga (Xbox 360), but I did play Mischief Makers and I owned Silhouette Mirage. All three being really fun games.

venturebeat.com

Interview: Ikaruga’s beloved developer Treasure on keeping games old-school forever

We're thrilled to announce the return of GamesBeat Summit Next, hosted in San Francisco this October, where we will explore the theme of "Playing the Edge." Apply to speak here and learn more about sponsorship opportunities here. Treasure won. Masato Maegawa and his crew of arcade game...

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is the pinnacle of its genre. It has masterful game design and audio direction.

AmigoTaco

Oct 27, 2017
an odd choice i know, but I loved Bangai-o on Dreamcast so much that its the one i always think about when Treasure comes up. So many good ones to choose from.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sin and Punishment Star Successor. Haven't played the entirety of their output though

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Sin & Punishment. Everything comes together perfectly, just amazing arcade-style action and dream-like atmosphere. I'm surprised so many like the sequel more. Aside from the improved controls, I found it bland by comparison.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I played an obscene amount of Radiant Silvergun so I'd probably say that. Gunstar Heroes holds up incredibly well though and I can usually get people into it quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played all of them, but either Alien Soldier or Gunstar.

Shout outs to Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting - if only it had more content...

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played an obscene amount of Radiant Silvergun so I'd probably say that. Gunstar Heroes holds up incredibly well though and I can usually get people into it quickly.

Radiant Silvergun would be my second favorite treasure title. When people shit on it because it's expensive it just makes me SMH. What an outstanding game.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
It have to give it to Ikaruga. That game it's simply put, the best SHUMP i've played in my life, with Gradius V just a little bit behind (another Treasure game, funny enough)

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Alien Soldier. Ikaruga and Gradius V are up there, though, and the Sin and Punishment games are great.

I'm not a big fan of Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, or Bangai-O (as I've probably posted plenty about over the years, hah)

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know because there are so many contenders, but I can't understand why one of the console makers doesn't buy Treasure, reconstitute the team, add some great writers, and give them a budget to crank out new AA games for eternity. And re-release their old stuff in enhanced form, too.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
My top three are Alien Soldier, Sin & Punishment, and Rakugaki Showtime. Such a great dev all around though, I practically like all their games. All their games pushed their respective hardware more than I've seen any other dev do IMO. It's a damn shame they haven't been making games lately anymore.

Rakugaki Showtime is one of their lesser-known titles because of Japan exclusivity on the PS1. It's even more rare given the fact that Treasure got into a legal battle with Enix shortly after it released and it was taken off the shelves shortly thereafter. Incredible party game though, it's like smash bros but better and more fun IMO.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
G. Heroes

Intense action the way it's just not done anymore

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know because there are so many contenders, but I can't understand why one of the console makers doesn't buy Treasure, reconstitute the team, add some great writers, and give them a budget to crank out new AA games for eternity. And re-release their old stuff in enhanced form, too.

Nearly every game Treasure has made has been incredible

that said, Sega co-owns much of their library.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ideally I'd say Alien Soldier but I can't get past the first boss.

So Guardian Heroes. The best Beat Em' Up of all time that has never been appropriately followed up on.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gunstar Heroes, my very first Treasure game and still a great co-op experience today. Makes a great use of the Genesis graphics and sound chip.

I randomly bought the game used in a video club for like ten bucks when I was 7 years old, it was fucking fate I say!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Bleach DS. I imported a copy and then bought a English copy when it finally came out here. Such a beautiful game and fun to play too.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rakugaki Showtime is one of their lesser-known titles because of Japan exclusivity on the PS1. It's even more rare given the fact that Treasure got into a legal battle with Enix shortly after it released and it was taken off the shelves shortly thereafter. Incredible party game though, it's like smash bros but better and more fun IMO.

Speaking of awesome Treasure fighting games, their Yu Yu Hakusho fighting game on the Genesis is incredible. A 4-player fighter on the Sega:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I rented Gunstar Heroes as a kid after seeing a glowing review in Gamepro, and the game itself completely blew me away. If you'd asked me what my favorite game of all time was, for most of my life it'd have been my immediate no-hesitation answer.

However if I was going to pick one to replay now it'd be Alien Soldier. The combination of extremely capable player character, non-stop bananas boss rush, and general Treasure wackiness - it's just incredible, and never gets old.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of all the stuff licensed from non-gaming areas, I like Astro Boy on GBA the most. It did a better job at capturing that Genesis era Treasure quality than GBA Gunstar did.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Don't sleep on McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure. Secretly the best platformer on the Genesis.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people have played their entire catalog. They were a staple on Sega Channel back in the day. I played so much Dynamite Headdy that way.

The first treasure game I played was McDonalds Treasureland Adventure, which I rented from blockbuster. Didn't know their name at the time, but they were immediately one of my favorite developers whether I knew it or not.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will always associate Stretch Panic with GameGO! magazine, a short lived venture in 2001. Tons of people from their message boards migrated to TNL forums and some of us are here at Resetera.
gamego1.jpg

Disappointing game, though.

Last edited:

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I will always associate Stretch Panic with GameGO! magazine, a short lived venture in 2001. Tons of people from their message boards migrated to TNL forums and some of us are here at Resetera.

Disappointing game, though.

I made the migration and bought a PS2 for Stretch Panic. Imagine my disappointment.

My favorite was Bangaioh on N64. The sheer chaos, movement, and fruit was great. Guardian Heroes was a close second.

Oct 25, 2017
Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Earth. Though I technically had played Wario World on the gamecube, S&P felt more like my first real taste of what Treasure was really all about when it got re released on the Wii Virtual Console. Always heard the name thrown around in terms of notable N64 games from late in its life cycle, but I never knew much beyond that what it even was. Needless to say, it's my favorite from not just Treasure but for the system as well. Even in 2007, it kinda blew my mind in a way that I did not think something could've been made for that system. The cutscene direction and nonsensical anime bullshit, combined with the rapid variety of boss fights and set pieces. Act 2-2 and 3-3, man.

It was fun, and crazy, and most importantly it's short enough and well paced to be cleared in one sitting. Something that I feel has become a bit of a deal breaker for me with the sequel despite it being even better in every other regard. Just that the total run time is too long for a game that sticks with such an arcade design philosophy and encouraging you to get the best score. 45 minutes is more palatable to me than something that runs just over 2 hours, and this is not counting the cutscene run time in both games.

I wonder how many people have played their entire catalog. They were a staple on Sega Channel back in the day. I played so much Dynamite Headdy that way.
At this point, I've touched at least all of Treasure's games that aren't based on an existing license. I keep thinking about trying that Astro Boy game they did on the GBA as I hear it's particularly good. But otherwise, their original stuff has always been the main draw as they always sold me on how they focused on creating their own spins on arcadey games that are more to my liking than the things that inspired them (Guardian Heroes is arguably my favorite beat-em-up ever and it's made me very particular about how I like that genre).

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
Gradius 5 on PS2 is fantastic !

also, classic Radiant Silvergun ( available on Xbox One for 10 bucks ) still one of the best shooting game to me.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly, Gunstar Heroes is the only one I've fully played and I loved it - I don't remember if I played any of the others. I want to play Ikaruga but I'll wait for the physical release on Switch.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bangai-O HD: Missile Fury is one of their few games that I've given the time that it deserves, and it's such a shame it never made it to BC.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sin & Punishment: Star Sucessor is my favorite but Gunstar Heroes is pretty close having played it co-op with a friend. S&P was just very fun and probably in my top 10 Wii games.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Two favorites:

Alien Soldier- Boss rushes suit them. The stuff in between them is why I feel like Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun would be better suited as straight up boss rushes.

Gradius V- Treasure's scoring systems for their shooters suck, adhering to the conventions of Gradius puts much-needed restraint on them.

I also really like both Sin and Punishment games-- especially the first one.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me, ikaruga, radiant silvergun, and gradius v are such top tier games that I have a hard time choosing. Ikaruga, imo, is as close to a perfect game aesthetically and design wise as I've seen.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
Guardian Heroes. Though part of that decision is due to nostalgia, it's an awesome beat 'em up with rpg elements, fun characters, branching paths and multiple endings. One of my favorite Saturn games! I wish it would get the Sega Ages treatment on Switch.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
The only game I remember playing that I know was Treasure was Light Crusader. I found it to be a super fun game, and unlike anything else I had on the Genesis.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor is the pinnacle of its genre. It has masterful game design and audio direction.
Probably Sin and Punishment or S&P 2
Sin and Punishment 2: Star Successor is my favorite. I think it has the most incredible action, gameplay, and variety throughout the entire experience, with some of the best replay value.
Sin & Punishment: Star Sucessor is my favorite but Gunstar Heroes is pretty close having played it co-op with a friend. S&P was just very fun and probably in my top 10 Wii games.

Sin & Punishment seems like a game that's right up my alley, sadly I don't have the opportunity to play it. :(

Guardian Heroes. Though part of that decision is due to nostalgia, it's an awesome beat 'em up with rpg elements, fun characters, branching paths and multiple endings. One of my favorite Saturn games! I wish it would get the Sega Ages treatment on Switch.

I only got to play the demo of Guardian Heroes when I had an Xbox 360. I was unemployed at the time so I couldn't buy the full game.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Sin & Punishment Star Successor if I had to choose just one. I absolutely love that game and it was a great evolution of the first (which I also enjoyed!). It's nonstop escalation and a really great example of everything they're great at in my opinion.

Otherwise my other favs are Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes. Ikaruga was my first real intro to bullet-hell style shmups and, while I'm still awful at the genre, I love the aesthetics, music, and gameplay. Gunstar Heroes I loved as a kid playing co-op.Lots of warm feelings and nostalgia attached to it, plus it was my first game from them.

Oct 30, 2017
bangai-o spirits.

this game is completely wild, with genius level design and an amazing stage editor that beat mario maker to the punch by years.

i love most of treasure's games but bangai-o spirits is the one i would take to a desert island. it is infinite treasure.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
Two of my favourites, both of which barely anyone know about and are from the GBA:

Astro Boy Omega Factor i.e one of the best beat-em-ups ever. it's a major evolution of the genre balancing character progression, satisfying ass mechanics and a genuinely wonderful story together

And then Hajime no Ippo, which is straight up the hypest boxing game i've ever played. captures that animated style perfectly. just look at this art ya'll

tumblr_nbg342GjPw1qcoyhuo1_500.gifv

lx9WJ1.gif

Last edited: