• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm currently playing Gears of War 4 which started sooooo slowly, with very boring, generic enemies and honestly I was an inch from uninstalling that 132GB fatty but I'm glad I didn't because it has really picked up in the third act.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodborne.

Dropped the game at Blood-starved Beast because of how hard it was.

Not joking when I say it took me around 20 tries to finally beat him. It felt so satisfying when everything clicked.

At that point I was fully on-board. I've got like 600 hours invested, lol. GOTG easy.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Myst

I had never played any adventure games like that before and it took a long time to get the appeal. I dropped it and only picked it back up at a cousin's suggestion.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I know it's going to sound silly, but it probably took me 7 or 8 hours before Red Dead 2 started to click with me. I don't know if I was going to quit, but it was a chore to play. Wound up being my favorite game of all time, though.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I bought Dead Cells during the first month of early access and didn't like it at all. I felt it was aping on Dark Souls and the random environments were bad. I later bought the game again and gave it another shot.

Dead Cells is easily one of my top five games of 2018.

On a different note, I have tried to like Wipeout in the past on PS3 and Sega Saturn but never enjoyed the gameplay or the controls. Playing Omega on PSVR has completely turned me around and I now love Wipeout.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm currently playing Gears of War 4 which started sooooo slowly, with very boring, generic enemies and honestly I was an inch from uninstalling that 132GB fatty but I'm glad I didn't because it has really picked up in the third act.

Is a game really good though if only the back end of it is actually good?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3. The combat was just absolutely destroying me. I finally turned it down to easy during the werewolf boss fight early on and had a decently fun time the rest of the way through. But the first couple hours of dying constantly was driving me nuts.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3

I played it right after Bloodborne and thought the combat was trash. Gave up after 4 hours. Ended up picking it back up again and it's easily one of my top 10 games of all time. I still ended up enjoying Bloodborne even more, but TW3 is a classic.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Two of my all time favorite games: Urban Reign and Soul Calibur.

I nearly returned both because I kept getting my ass kicked and got discouraged. I gave both a 2nd shot and ended up falling in love. I spent hours mastering Urban Reign's combat system to the point where I was trying to beat each mission on the hardest difficulty without getting hit because I had run out of other things to do. Soul Calibur remains my favorite 3D fighting game of all time.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The first Witcher. At first I couldn't get on board at all with the gameplay. Quit out. Then I made up my mind to try again. Finished it.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Majora's Mask and Hollowknight. Both with questionable openings, but turn out to be incredible.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Bloodborne.

Not joking when I say it took me around 20 tries to finally beat him. It felt so satisfying when everything clicked.

At that point I was fully on-board. I've got like 600 hours invested, lol. GOTG easy.
Bloodborne is a 7/10 before it clicks but a 10/10 once you finally get it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3. The combat was just absolutely destroying me. I finally turned it down to easy during the werewolf boss fight early on and had a decently fun time the rest of the way through. But the first couple hours of dying constantly was driving me nuts.
This was my experience lol. I despise the weird potion alchemy mechanic and the fact you HAVE to be intimate with that stuff for harder difficulties is lame as balls

Jan 4, 2018
The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age: Origins. Couldn't get past the gameplay for either and so I put them down for months. Decided to come back and got some really good fantasy story telling for both. Still not a fan of the core gameplay for either, but once you get used to them they're bearable enough to see the journey through.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
BOTW first Zelda game and I had no idea what I was doing.

Same. I came dangerously close to dropping it about six hours in. The combat felt goofy at first. The constant breaking of weapons was annoying to me. Glad I stuck it out. Turned out to be one of my favorite games of all time once I got the hang of it.

Also Red Dead Redemption 2. Those first few hours were laborious and tedious. I put it down for a week before coming back and finally loving it.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 2. I really really didn't get the combat at first. Coming off KH1 where there was a dedicated dodge roll button it just felt so stiff. Turns out there are eventually like 6-7 evasive/defensive options, and for some of the optional bosses you need all of them.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere around ch 4 I had Xenoblade Chrinicles 2 ready to trade in. I gave it one more shot and ended up enjoying it till the end.

It may be the only jrpg I actually finished this gen.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls.

I wanted Witcher 2 and 3 to be this, but I just couldnt get into the game. Gameplay wasn't good and the story just bored me to tears. I think I tried a half dozen times to get into those games, just couldn't do it.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
The Last Guardian. Those awful controls almost made me quit halfway through. I'm glad I stuck with it and experienced the wonderful story. The controls are still frustrating beyond belief, though.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Bloodborne.

Same. Though Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time. I learned that games sometimes take time to grab you, but the best ones don't let go.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 4. I played a bit of it when it came to PS+, but it didn't really click for me for most of the first chapter. Came back to it a number of months later & I love the series now.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Exact same thing for me lol. That damn werewolf.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake. Fucking hated the first chapter. Came back a month later to give it another shot and everything clicked. It is now one of my favorite games of all time. American Nightmare was also great, some really clever shit.

Alan Wake 2 when. ;_;

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Majora's Mask was mine. I hated the opening and it just continues to get better once you get past it.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
SMT Nocturne. First time through I was burning out around the Ikebukuro Tunnel. Then I put it down for a week and came back to it because I had just had eye surgery and had nothing else to do during the recovery process. Finally something about the game clicked and it's now my favorite RPG of all time.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't really into Undertale from the Ruins demo, to the point where I passed on its Kickstarter, and I only ended up get it later on because I knew it was short, and then everything afterwards turned out to be the best thing ever.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm so picky with what I play that it's rare for me to play anything I don't enjoy almost immediately. I remember really hating the gibberish voices at the beginning of Okami, can't remember how close I came to quitting over it but in the end those gibberish voices became endearing and Okami is in my top 10 of all time.

Majora's Mask was mine. I hated the opening and it just continues to get better once you get past it.
It's an absolutely masterful opening from a game design perspective and set you up for liking/loving the rest of the game but in the moment I can certainly see why some might hate it.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's an absolutely masterful opening from a game design perspective and set you up for liking/loving the rest of the game but in the moment I can certainly see why some might hate it.
With the benefit of hindsight I 100% agree. It just doesn't ease you in at all, especially if you go in expecting OoT 2.0. I wouldn't change it knowing what I know now.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Metal Gear Rising. Getting the parry system down was so hard for me at first. But when i finally got it everything in the game just clicked.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
MH4U for me. I bought it at a friend's behest, and I despised it for the first few hours, between the tedious introductory gathering quests and my (impressive in retrospect) several carts to the Great Jaggi. I very nearly gave it up at Kecha Wacha, but it did start clicking not long after that. By the time Gen came out I could solo 140 Rajangs, which is fun to think about given how terrible I was to begin with. Given my playtime, though, it probably would have been better if I had dropped it to start...

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2, the specific blade requirement that is required to progress is annoying. But once you find out how it works and cheese around it, then you're set.

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls - I almost rage quit at Taurus Demon
Yakuza 4 - I hated Akiyama's chapter, it wasn't until Saejima that I got invested in the story

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Morrowind. I rented it when I first got my Xbox. Didn't really play that type of RPG before. Got my ass handed to me because input no stats in archery and tried to use a bow. Took it back. A week later, something didn't sit right with me that I gave up so quick. Picked it up again and took a little more time to understand things.

Then it became one of my top five favorite games of all time.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter Portsble 2nd G. It was my first exposure and I gave up 30 min in. I used the great sword and consistently got my ass handed by grunt mobs. Then my friend talked me back into it, suggesting some other easier weapons. I switched to the long sword then the combat suddenly clicked. Because of that friend, I had found the most rewarding, most satisfying video game I had ever played.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
The Witcher 3, started it plenty of times before turning up to death march difficulty and went in to get the platinum. I think having to pay closer attention to the game due to the difficulty really let me immerse myself, and made me have to utilize all the games systema

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls.

I bought it when it was like 20 USD, mainly because of the praise the game got on internet forums.

Started playing it, the controls felt clunky, no indication where to go, it wasn't "difficult" as the internet led me to believe and after just 30 min. (lol) I put it down.

I came back a year later because I wanted to sell it but thought to myself that I'll give the game another shot before doing so and it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. Truly a masterpiece.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Undertale for me. Wasn't seeing any brilliance before Sans, and was on the absolute verge of quitting before I hit that point.

Deleted member 15948

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's Dogma. The pre-dragon storyline is so bad! I actually tried to rush the story and ended up stopped before the final boss the first time because I just didn't give a fuck. What a mistake that turned out to be... One of the greatest final boss fights, plus that whole postgame and the DLC...

I'm hoping one day Hollow Knight will be in this category too, but sadly I'm still in the give up phase.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Grandia 1, I rented it and hated it at first as a kid till I pushed on and made my way to the ghost-ship after Parm, after that it became one of my favorite games of all time.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Majora's Mask, the time limit intimidated me. Now it's my favourite Zelda game.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is another one as I didn't quite understand the game mechanic and I accidentally deleted my save file, so I had to replay from the start.