• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen threads on "cutest game character", "best character design", "coolest character" But which hits high on every metric?
Was looking through anime sakuga and somehow must have fallen asleep during this episode because it inspired me to make this with the easiest pick possible for me. (this is anime which has hundreds of clips, but im getting to the videogame part)

-Instantly recognizable classic creature design that appeals to all ages and generations, crazy staying power.
-Cute as a button
AWS.gif
f6c82a60e9723592052604e7c06cba0a.gif

-Can shoot actual lightning out of its face, perform wrestling moves on charizard, also Surfs like a pro.
source.gif
il_570xN.1486249717_5vue.jpg

I had a lot of other options considered but went with this one because of how much I enjoy Smash Bros.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 3's Koromaru is an adorable dog by day who summons cerberus by night

latest

tumblr_na5eb4ir6U1r1bpfyo4_500.jpg

Absolute travesty they didn't mocap a dog for the dancing game

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Kiryu Kazuma from the Yakuza series has a cute personality when interacting with his friends and friendly NPCs, but is cool and badass when beating up hooligans and lowlifes that try to hurt the people he cares for.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Meta Knight is perfect for this.

latest

He is every ounce the stereotypical badass silent knight, but behind that mask he's just a blue puffball.

maxresdefault.jpg

Just imagine his Smash Bros. voice coming from this thing. "FOOL!"

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is the GOAT in this category, but another mascot platform we worth mentioning is Ratchet and Clank.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't know about "best," but the Inkling Girl from Splatoon 2 -- or really, most of the playable cast in Splatoon -- is a strong example of this from recent years. Both cute and cool without feeling tryhard, instantly endearing. Honestly, the overall art direction of both of those games is just wildly good.

142-1427319_2-clipart-splatoon-inkling-girl-splatoon-2-png.png

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Link is always cool but his wind waker and link's awakening remake looks are also cute.

qNuZNhC.png
kG3PwKG.jpg

Another one would be the Gigaguy himself.

qz2MzCH.png

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Nailed it.
You stole my responses.

My friend, I love MHA and I'm a big Deku apologist but this probably doesn't fit here. This is the chibi version of a toy of a character who originates from a manga and anime.

And he's not cool at all, very intentionally written to be someone who is not "cool"- I don't think he would be as loveable as the cool guy (but I'm not caught up on the manga so correct me if there have been some big character evolutions in this direction).

Again, love Deku. Love MHA. Love Princess Caroline. No hate here.

Last edited:

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately thought of classic Sonic so yeah I also gotta go with that.