• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
With the final DLC, we now have over 1100 songs in Smash.

It's time to pick and choose, what franchise has the best tracks, what franchise has the worst. Remixes should matter, and franchises being robbed of their iconic songs is a legitimate reason for putting them as worst.

BEST: Banjo Kazooie

The first Smash remix with a western composer. Kirkhope killed it, and it's a fantastic tribute to the original games. I'm really glad MIcrosoft played ball, and got a good 7 remixes in total. The original Freezeezy Peak was a good choice, and all the other remixes certainly understood the Banjo tone.

WORST: Dragon Quest

Fuck this lame 90s midi shit. Glad the composer is dead, maybe we can get better quality tracks in a sequel.

Anonymous Tipster

The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
BEST: Mega Man
WORST: Final Fantasy

Mega Man was given tons of amazing remixes and medleys, probably the most of any series. I'd give Castlevania a close-ish second.

FF has some of the best music in the industry and what we got was limited to a small sample of FF7 music— which is fine but misses out on the potential of awesome remixes (at all) across the whole series.

Edit: Dragon Quest music is awesome— you crazy OP.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The worst is Dragon Quest by a high fucking mile lmao. Burn in hell, Sugiyama.

Can't decide the best, lots of good music from the other series.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The worst is 100% Dragon Quest. FF's is a little embarrassing but considering both FF characters and both stages are from VII I don't mind the fact that the music is focused on them specifically.

Meanwhile, Dragon Quest's music is both bad compositions and bad sound quality, so it's the worst of every world.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Best: Mega Man

Lots of great remixes. The selection was pretty bad in Smash 4 but Ultimate made up for it a good deal. Big shoutouts to We're the Robots in particular.

Worst: Dragon Quest

Boring answer but yeah. I actually like the DQ3 songs but the other ones sound terrible as MIDIs (or just aren't that great anyway in the case of DQ11). The variety is also terrible.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best is either Megaman, Castlevania, or SNK/KoF

Worst is Dragon Quest by a powergap.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best: DK or Mega Man, a ton of great remixes in both of those.

Worst: Dragon Quest, easy answer but it legit is, DQ11 music already isn't that good compared to past entries and makes up a chunk of the songs and then it's midi.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
All of the people saying Dragon Quest is the worst have never seen Pac-Man's absolutely pitiful lineup.

Pac-Man has three songs.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest takes it, if only because Sephiroth actually added more FF music besides the appalling two tracks Cloud did. Square-Enix is bottom tier in terms of companies and their music selection here, too.

Castlevania might have the "best" lineup if you consider as a debuting IP, it's brought the most amount of tracks regarding a franchise. I don't know the number of actual tracks Terry Bogard added that are specific to Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, which might need to be distinguished here if we're talking franchise and not company. Terry brought an SNK album, and not all of it is related to the core franchises he's a part of.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Even with only 3 tracks, Pac-Man's music is still better than the horrible cluster of bad MIDIs written by a fascist.
You're not wrong but as far as Dragon Quest music goes, you're not going to get anything better than what it has.

It's all bad MIDIs written by a fascist for the whole franchise.

I know that Pac-Man can do better.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
All of the people saying Dragon Quest is the worst have never seen Pac-Man's absolutely pitiful lineup.

Pac-Man has three songs.

To be fair all those old arcade Namco remixes/music rips are supposed to count for his music line-up as well. Just like how Terry has music from all of SNK's series.

So according to Ultimate, Pac has 11 tracks.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd point to Megaman as the best, it got extremely lucky with its remixes in 4 and Ultimate. The only ones that can compete there in my mind are Donkey Kong. Pokemon, and Caslevania

Dragon Quest is clearly the worst, just on sound quality alone even without considering the amount of music and some of the issues with its representation.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The best is F-zero because it has the Mute City Melee remix, which is the most hype song in gaming.

The worst is Game and Watch. I don't like him, his stages or his music. I feel he brings nothing to Smash.

Oct 28, 2017
Best is Donkey Kong. All the hits are there including DK Rap. That alone is a winner.

Worst is Splatoon to me. Why doesn't it have every Splatoon 2 song?

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
The best is Mario because it has the Super Mario World Medley:

To me, the worst is Final Fantasy because I don't really care about Dragon Quest. The lack of FF songs bothers me way more than whatever low quality DQ music there is.

Oct 28, 2017
Dragon Quest music is the absolute worst. Farting trumpets & horns in MIDI glory.

Sugiyama was a hack. Rest in piss.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken-OST-in-Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-1536x864.png

best

ROM

Dec 28, 2017
Best: This is tough but I'm going to go with Persona because I never get tired of it.

Worst: Dragon Quest by far. The orchestral trailer got me really excited and I was totally let down with the result.

Criminally abandoned: Mother. Mother 3 alone would have given the series like 50 tracks and they couldn't even bother with more songs.

AnimeAvatar

Apr 28, 2021
At first I was gonna say the best was either Mega Man or Castlevania but the more I think about it the more I might actually say the best is Fatal Fury. 50 songs for a DLC character was unheard of, with plenty of quality remixes that span the greater SNK catalogue.

Worst is easily Dragon Quest. Even putting everything about the composer Sugiyama aside it's still the worst easily. Eight songs, no remixes, all the shitty midi versions, and honestly I just don't think Dragon Quest's music really fits a fast paced fighting game.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I'm gonna come out and say Kingdom Hearts is the worst. At least Dragon Quest has music from multiple different Dragon Quest games and at least Final Fantasy got remixes and Advent Children versions with Sephiroth. Kingdom Hearts music is limited to Kingdom Hearts 1 with no remixes. Cloud and Sephiroth being limited to just FFVII songs sucks but there's some sense to it considering that Cloud and Sephiroth are not in other mainline Final Fantasy games. But Sora is in all the fucking Kingdom Hearts games, so there's no excuse not to use music from all the different games he's in.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I'm gonna come out and say Kingdom Hearts is the worst. At least Dragon Quest has music from multiple different Dragon Quest games and at least Final Fantasy got remixes and Advent Children versions with Sephiroth. Kingdom Hearts music is limited to Kingdom Hearts 1 with no remixes. Cloud and Sephiroth being limited to just FFVII songs sucks but there's some sense to it considering that Cloud and Sephiroth are not in other mainline Final Fantasy games. But Sora is in all the fucking Kingdom Hearts games, so there's no excuse not to use music from all the different games he's in.
Not to mention FFVII on Smash has One Winged Angel and Cosmic Canyon banger remix, KH definitely doesn't have something like that

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to say Minecraft since none have really stuck with me but I just listened to the Smash songs they included and they're pretty good.

Nov 17, 2017
Megaman probably got the best treatment out of all.

Xenoblade got the worst by virtue of having no X music at all and also missing Unfinished Battle

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
But Sora is in all the fucking Kingdom Hearts games, so there's no excuse not to use music from all the different games he's in.

The excuse is Disney lol

At least the KH tracks they have are the remixed versions from the HD remasters (plus Melody of Memory), so it's still better than DQ and all of its crappy sounding MIDIs.

Fun fact: There is actually ONE track taken from KH2: its version of Fragment of Sorrow.

OP
OP
Layell

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
I was going to say Minecraft since none have really stuck with me but I just listened to the Smash songs they included and they're pretty good.

This is where I am at, they are all decent. The biggest disappointment with Minecraft is that the iconic original songs weren't up for use due to C418. I guess he just doesn't want to be known as the "guy who made Minecraft music".

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah KH got really screwed. I guess there must have been some red tape around it but it's a crime either way. They didn't even get all the best KH1 tracks.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Best is... fuck it, it's WarioWare - you get amazing renditions of absolute CLASSICS like Mike's Song, Ashley's Song and Mona Pizza. I always pick the WarioWare stages because the music is fantastic.

Worst? Idk, probably Dragon Quest as I can't recall a single track from that.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best hmn it's kinda hard to say, but I'd say Mega Man, Castlevania and SNK are up there. They just got a crapton of love. Wish I could say Persona was up there as well but it honestly got too little music for how amazing the music in that franchise is. At least the Beneath the Mask remix is an absolute winner.

Worst is...I dunno. Animal Crossing maybe? Maybe it's just the more competitive player in me speaking who gets overexposed to those tracks but they still don't feel like fighting music.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Easily Terry/SNK. I'm not even a fan of KOF and the amount of music they added is insane and pure quality

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
OK, so second worst music lineup (because we all know the worst *coughdragonquestcough*) probably goes to either Sonic or Kingdom Hearts, and that is solely due to the lack of new arrangements in both.

Considering the legal nightmare that is Sora though, I'm willing to give that one some slack. Sonic's music situation however is unforgivable. Only one remix and it's been around since Brawl, a game that released over 13 years ago! Been in 3 separate Smash games and yet basically nothing new has shown up. No idea what's going on with that considering Sonic has so many good tracks just itching to be remixed into Smash, yet the opportunity has so far been completely squandered.

On a more positive note, I would say the best music track selection is a toss-up between Banjo-Kazooie and Earthbound/Mother. Not a single miss in either of those franchises.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so second worst music lineup (because we all know the worst *coughdragonquestcough*) probably goes to either Sonic or Kingdom Hearts, and that is solely due to the lack of new arrangements in both.

Considering the legal nightmare that is Sora though, I'm willing to give that one some slack. Sonic's music situation however is unforgivable. Only one remix and it's been around since Brawl, a game that released over 13 years ago! Been in 3 separate Smash games and yet basically nothing new has shown up. No idea what's going on with that considering Sonic has so many good tracks just itching to be remixed into Smash, yet the opportunity has so far been completely squandered.

On a more positive note, I would say the best music track selection is a toss-up between Banjo-Kazooie and Earthbound/Mother. Not a single miss in either of those franchises.

I'm willing to at least give them credit for the Dearly Beloved remix, which is jazzy enough that it FEELS like a Smash Bros. remix despite originating in MoM.