• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which "Classic" do you think has the best pre-installed library?

• Super Nintendo (USA/EU)

Votes: 728 74.2%
  • Super Famicom (JPN)

Votes: 40 4.1%
  • Mega Drive (JPN)

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • Mega Drive (HK)

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Genesis/Mega Drive (US/EU)

Votes: 108 11.0%
  • PC-Engine (JP)

Votes: 13 1.3%
  • Turbo-Grafx/Core-Grafx (US/EU)

Votes: 39 4.0%

• Total voters

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Super Nintendo. They're all bangers, even if there's no Beat Em Ups, Good Sports Games and Chrono Trigger. MD Classic is maybe 10 games you want and a bunch of Sega Classic Collection filler. I don't know who was asking for the Turbo-PC.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really play many MD or PC Engine games so far, which is why I won't participate in the poll. There are some minor issues* dampening my excitement slightly, but I'm still looking very much forward to trying out these systems for the first time.

MD= 3-button controllers, apparently worst game selection among regions / PCE= comparatively high price, only one controller packed in, the inclusion of a Japanese-only text adventure, terrible communication

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Pretty good summary (I would have added "+ first official release of Star Fox 2" in the SNES Classic list because it was an unexpected inclusion).

What do you think of the Neo Geo Mini selection?
I'm not really qualified to talk about the Neo Geo. I'm not into fighting games and my experience with its library is limited to Metal Slug, Pulstar and Last Resort.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a pretty large classic games collection, my answer is 'so far, I don't really want any of them'.

For me, unreleased games are one of the few things that might get me to get something like these someday. On this front, of the three, the most interesting is the SNES, because it has the previously unreleased Star Fox 2. The two unreleased games on the Genesis Mini, Tetris and Darius, aren't nearly as interesting (both are on lots of other systems after all), and the TG16 Mini has no unreleased games. So on the unreleased games front, I'd say SNES > Genesis, TG16 didn't compete.

As for import games -- putting games from other regions on the thing, without making you buy one from another region to get some -- the SNES has none, and even if you get the Japanese one, there isn't a very different library. The Genesis has Monster World IV and Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which are nice inclusions, though MWIV in English did previously see release on the Wii, X360, and PS3 as a download and Mega Man TWW had Japanese and European physical-cart releases back then. The Genesis/MD Minis locks most other-region games to the other versions of the thing, unfortunately, so you need to hack it or buy three of them to get most of the import games -- this is a definite negative! Like, that list of games is pretty good, apart from the omission of Sega's best game ever (Sonic 3 & Knuckles), but it's way too broken up across regions, I'd never buy three of them. As for the Turbo/PCE Mini, it's very cool that apparently all of the games will be in all of the systems, except for that one game which is exclusive to the white model (Tokimeki Memorial), that's great. If that is indeed how it works, on imports the TG16 Mini wins easily since there are a bunch of them and you actually get them without needing to import other region mini consoles to get them.

And last, what about the game selections in general? Well, the SNES Mini has a small but focused library of many of the consoles' best and most popular games. For overall quality and best representing the console the games came from, the SNES Mini is probably the best of this batch, though it is unfortunate that some games are only on each of the two models -- why no Tetris Attack in the US one, for example? Some genres are totally missing as well, such as shmups (and there are some great SNES shmups!). Still, it is a good lineup. Nintendo got key third party support for many of the top third-party games on the console.

The Genesis Mini has a very good library as well, but it's held back by lots of games being exclusive to various regions and the consoles' best game being absent. Sega also got solid third-party support from a bunch of publishers, which is great, but while Nintendo has a few key games only on each regions' version, Sega has way too many.

As for the Turbografx Mini, it's an interesting library. I'm not sure what to think... on the one hand it's a pretty good lineup with lots of good games. On the other hand, it is heavily weighted to Hudson and Konami games. Now, in the US, NEC or TTI published almost all games, and the US games in the TG16 Mini are all NEC or Working Designs (their two HuCard Taito ports only, not any of the CD games)-published titles. Makes sense. The NEC US-published titles are mostly Hudson games (including Hudson's ports of Falcom's Ys I & II and Irem's R-Type), but there are also one each from NEC, Irem, and NCS Masaya (Space Harrier (licensed from Sega), Ninja Spirit, Moto Roader). As for the Japanese library, it's mostly Konami and Hudson releases (including Hudson's ports of Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden and Falcom's Ys I & II). The exceptions -- NEC's ports of the Capcom game Ghouls & Ghosts and the Sega game Fantasy Zone; NCS Masaya's Cho Aniki; and Taito's Super Darius. It's a very good lineup but it could be a bit better -- I'd have liked to see some of NEC's original titles, for example -- how about Metamor Jupiter, Magicoal, Gotzendeiner, and such? Some of Falcom's own games would have been great too, most notably the two Legend of Xanadu games. Etc.

As for my own personal thoughts on the game choices, looking at my 'favorite games' list, 10 of my top 20 (and ~6-10 more of my next 50) TG16/PCE/CD games are in the TG16 Mini. The US Genesis Mini has 7 of my top 15 (and 12 of my next 50); two more is only in the Asia version, but that version doesn't have two of the ones on my list the us one does have. SNES Classic has 7 of my top 15. There's one more is in the jp version, but it loses a game from my list. (and like 4 of my next 50, again with one more and one less in Japan). So, the SNES has the fewest games I really like. On the other hand, all of the SNES games are good games, while the other two use spots on mediocre to poor games, so it's close.

In closing, I'll continue to stick with my physical-games collection for these platforms, they're three of the best consoles ever and while these devices are nice, they never include all of the games I want, because they can't. And if you're just buying them to hack them and put roms on them, there's no reason to buy a mini console for that, you can do that almost anywhere. I'd rather play the real games anyway. But for people buying these because they look cool and get you legit copies of classic games, if I was going to recommend one of these based on the libraries, if the emulation is good -- and this is definitely a big if, we have no idea yet -- maybe get the Turbografx one, since it's less likely that people have played those games than the ones in the Genesis or SNES mini systems and the system is very close to as great as the SNES and Genesis are.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing less than 20 people here are qualified to compare these libraries (by having played all the games), and that's even ignoring the language barrier games for non-Japanese readers. So many SNES votes are going to be knee jerk reactions from people that have never played a PC Engine.

These are all great libraries, though. I think the Mega Drive (HK/Asia) is the strongest.

But thats just Era polls in general. It is just popularity contests. And we already know Nintendo is bigger than the other choices in the poll.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
And it seems weird that the only racing game the US version is getting is Road Rash 2, which they had to work with EA to get. And yes, I know that's in all territories. Wonder why Asia is the only one that gets Outrun 2017? Also I get Virtua Racing is on the Sega Ages program, but that could have been a neat addition to the Sega Genesis mini library too.

Most of Sega's own MD racing games were arcade ports and they tried to shy away from including straight arcade ports as a general rule (hence why Outrun 2019, a middling game that's not even theirs, is on a Mini over their own port of the original Outrun).

I was going to do a genre/series match up but everyone is just going to vote for SMW and LTTP anyways lol

I guess it'd depend on how granular you want to get with the categories, there are a ton of sidescrollers to sift through and you'd have to determine what's a platformer, what's an "action game", what's a run and gun, etc.

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
I also want to say this, I noticed that the SNES Classic, Genesis Mini and even the AtGames Flashback Legends Console all have a version of Street Fighter 2, Ghouls N' Ghosts and minimum of 1 Mega Man game on each machine.

Makes me realize Capcom's holy trinity of games to include in legacy consoles are Street Fighter 2, Ghouls N' Ghosts and Mega Man. Well, PS Classic didn't get the trinity since Ghouls N' Ghosts never came out on the PS1 and the PS Classic didn't get a Mega Man game when X4 could have been an option. Also Genesis Mini in US/EU and Asia got Strider.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is a tough decision.

The SNES mini lineup is extremely safe, like Nintendo didn't took any risks with it, but at the same time, 19 of the 20 games included are all top 50 games on the console (Fuck Dream Course) and Star Fox 2 is a nice novelty.

The Genesis in the other hand has a considerable chunk of games that are not exactly that good, but at the same time the lineup is so diverse with lots of hidden gems that people may know discover that I really appreciate how SEGA took way more risks than Nintendo with the lineup.

And the PC Engine has the novelty that excluding Rondo of Blood and 2 or 3 other games, their line up is so obscure, full of games that would be impossible to get now on the western market, giving you the full japanese experience that the turbografx never got, is such a novelty that I really love what Konami did.

My conclussion is, I can't believe how much Sony fucked up with the PlayStation Classic

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
The SNES Classic has some of the best games ever, and it's not even close.

I gave one to my 8 year old nephew and he loves it. The library is timeless.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Well with my pre-order for the PC-E Mini in on Amazon Japan, I'm just gonna buy all three.

Let's be real: all of their libraries will be perfect once I get my hands on them 😉

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm guessing less than 20 people here are qualified to compare these libraries (by having played all the games), and that's even ignoring the language barrier games for non-Japanese readers. So many SNES votes are going to be knee jerk reactions from people that have never played a PC Engine.
This was my exact thought when I was thinking about this and trying to decide. It's mostly going to come down to which system have I played the most of with the respective games and that's what it will be. The others can be great, very good games but since I have zero knowledge of them other than what I've heard, I can't use that as a basis to decide.

So yeah, SNES.

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Might as well have included the NES and PSX Minis to make the poll just a tad more interesting.

Anyhow, game for game I'd probably have to say the SNES Mini. There's a lot of quality games on a single purchase that your currently cannot get elsewhere, and that's before you start modding. Asian Megadrive is a decent contender, but I'd have to see how many games have English versions included.

On that note, the Turbografx loses a lot of appeal with some of the better included games being Japanese only.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I guess it'd depend on how granular you want to get with the categories, there are a ton of sidescrollers to sift through and you'd have to determine what's a platformer, what's an "action game", what's a run and gun, etc.

yeah, with enough abstraction of a genre, you'd have people claiming Contra III is a shmup lmao

yeah, dunno even know what to say to that.

The SNES Classic has some of the best games ever, and it's not even close.

you don't think the pce/turbo or genesis/md have all time greats on them?

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
The Japanese Mega Drive for me, although if I were to combine both US and JPN versions I think that takes this poll. The TG16 with its US ans JPN combined games is pretty awesome as well.

The SNES is just too safe for me. I barely play it.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I grew up with all three and there was always something great on each. I suppose it has to be the SNES but I love so many games on Gen and PCE.
NeoGeo is great too but it's not "in" the 4th gen... no one really had one when it was current in the 4th gen. I played the hell out of it in the arcades but anyway.
SNES for me, multiplayer games in my circles was always on SNES so that's my vote.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me it's the Megadrive, but that's because I had one as a kid so I don't have the nostalgia hard on for the SNES library.

And as a kid I thought Star Fox was shit.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
SNES is the best. I don't think this is close at all. The only glaring omission from that lineup is Donkey Kong Country 2. You could argue Chrono Trigger, but that at least got a superior DS port.

Danthrax

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Northeast Ohio
U.S. Genesis gets VectorMan and Earthworm Jim so it wins. Alisia Dragoon, Wily Wars and Darius just put the whole thing over the top for value.

Oh and it gets the better playing versions of Street Fighter and Ghouls n Ghosts.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Era's favorite line... :)
Not even close ?

That's just words, what about a serious demonstration ?

Contra 3 far better than Contra HC ?
Please teach us ?

Super Castlevania 4 superior to Rondo of Blood ?

Yeah right, Lord of Thunder, Musha Aleste aren't timeless classics and far behind Snes mini's schmups...oops :)

I like how you singled out only just two games out of the whole lot to try and make a point, when my point was that it's the sum of all those games together that make the SNES Classic the best lineup overall.

Just because one mini console has ONE game in ONE genre/series that is marginally better (and even that's arguable), doesn't suddenly make it the best mini console.

As for the games you singled out: Contra HC is nice, yes, but way too hard to be accessible or fun. I've had much more fun playing Contra 3 overall. Contra HC is an exercise in frustration and feels unfair. And don't you start moving the goalpost with hacks, rewind, or the Japanese version.

Yes, Rondo of Blood is superior, but it's pretty much the only game on the TG-16 mini that I'd rank in the same ballpark as the SNES Classic lineup. The rest are wholly unimpressive. So that's one game. Whoopty-doo!

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
SNES all day every day. I mean, ya gotcha Zelda, ya gotcha Mario's, ya gotcha Star Foxes, ya got ya Street Fightin, ya got ya Metroid, Hell ya even got ya F Zero. I mean, what more could you need?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I think SNES classic just barely wins out because its the only way to legally play Star Fox 2, a game that existed but never came out during that era. That alone adds alot of value to the purchase for me. The genesis games are damn good but thats the one thing that puts the SNES classic over the top for me.

OP
OP
andymcc

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I like how you singled out only just two games out of the whole lot to try and make a point, when my point was that it's the sum of all those games together that make the SNES Classic the best lineup overall.

Just because one mini console has ONE game in ONE genre/series that is marginally better (and even that's arguable), doesn't suddenly make it the best mini console.

As for the games you singled out: Contra HC is nice, yes, but way too hard to be accessible or fun. I've had much more fun playing Contra 3 overall. Contra HC is an exercise in frustration and feels unfair. And don't you start moving the goalpost with hacks, rewind, or the Japanese version.

Yes, Rondo of Blood is superior, but it's pretty much the only game on the TG-16 mini that I'd rank in the same ballpark as the SNES Classic lineup. The rest are wholly unimpressive. So that's one game. Whoopty-doo!

Holy shit where to start with this.

The Hard Corps thing is a matter of personal preference/taste, I get that. But, you know what? You CAN include the Japanese version because the Genesis Mini DOES have the Japanese version as a selectable title in all territories. So, there is no goalpost moving-- that's the honest to god truth.

If you think the rest of the Turbografx lineup is "wholly unimpressive", I would honestly suggest that you either: A) don't have tremendous experience with the library or B) don't have a great interest in retro games outside of the marquee titles related to Nintendo.

What do you say about the SNES Classic genre representation for shmups/shooters? Strategy RPGs? belt-scroll action games? The SNES Classic excels at providing a good value for the classic Nintendo titles but what else? It is fine to prefer one to the other, but to suggest the other consoles didn't have great libraries is something else.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
pretty succinct. also, most of the people here that champion the SNES by virtue of "objectively superior" (or something) marquee titles probably have played very little, if any, of the other consoles. pretty sure you raised that point earlier though ;)

Nintendo fanboys are largely clueless about games on other consoles but still always insist that Nintendo games are "objectively superior" and "it's not even close".

Some of the replies here are probably coming from the same people who voted Starfox 64 the best fifth generation shooting game on OldGAF. I remember that giving me a good laugh at the time.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
NA SNES may be missing CT and DKC2, but it's real problem is having to switch out Panel de Pon for Dream Course.

Oct 25, 2017
As Konami is the rights holder for the whole Turbo library, both Konami and Hudson have the biggest representation of any other dev/publisher on the Turbografx-16 Mini.
I know I addressed this in my last post, but "Konami is the rightsholder for the entire Turbo library"? I highly doubt it! Obviously they have the Hudson and Konami libraries, and they seem to have the whole NEC US library as well, but the handful of games I listed previously from other publishers I imagine they needed to get the rights for for this collection. I wonder, do they have the rights to the NEC Japan library, or not? Again the only two NEC Japan games on this collection are Space Harrier (NEC's port of the Sega game) and Daimakaimura (NEC's port of the Capcom game), so NEC's large PCE (mostly CD) library is not representered here much at all. Hudson made most of the system's most prominent games, and NEC doesn't make games anymore of course so they probably don't care, but some of games are interesting...

Nintendo fanboys are largely clueless about games on other consoles but still always insist that Nintendo games are "objectively superior" and "it's not even close".

Some of the replies here are probably coming from the same people who voted Starfox 64 the best fifth generation shooting game on OldGAF. I remember that giving me a good laugh at the time.
Star Fox 64 is the best rail shooter ever made, though. (My top 5: Star Fox 64, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Panzer Dragoon, Space Harrier, Sin & Punishment. Star Fox 64 is an amazing, amazing classic.)

On that note, the Turbografx loses a lot of appeal with some of the better included games being Japanese only.
No, that's not really true. There is only like one noteworthy game on the TG16 Mini where you'll care about it not being in English -- Snatcher. All of the other games play totally fine -- shmups and platformers have no language barrier! Well, if you actually care about Momotarou Dentetsu (a board game for kids), Appare! Gateball (a sports game), or Necromancer (a super basic early RPG) then those also have a language barrier, but most probably wouldn't want to play them anyway. And though it's supposed to be a good dating sim style visual novel, for the PCE Mini with Tokimeki Memorial on it I doubt many people here would want to play that either. The only other Japanese text in the rest of those games that don't also have English versions on the unit are the story bits in a couple of games like Sapphire and Rondo of Blood, which are quite irrelevant to the actual gameplay. (Ninja Gaiden actually has a hidden English text option!)

This is why Neutopia, Neutopia II, Ys I & II, Nectaris/Military Madness, and Dungeon Explorer have both the English and Japanese versions available, those games are the other ones where being able to read the game matters. Sadly Snatcher wasn't released in the US on Turbo CD so they couldn't include that, and emulating a Sega CD just for that one game would be asking way too much...

And this is why I recommended people buy the TG16 Mini, you've clearly never played a Turbografx game before and really should, a lot of them are fantastic! This is particularly true if you like shmups -- the TG16/PCE/CD has, in my opinion, the best shmup library of any console ever. And it's not all that close. A fair number of the system's top shmups are on the TG16 Mini, too -- Gradius 1 and 2, Sapphire, Lords of Thunder, Cho Aniki, R-Type, Super Star Soldier, Blazing Lazers, Salamander, Soldier Blade, Star Parodier, Super Darius... amazing games! R-Type, Gradius 2, Blazing Lazers, and Sapphire are my favorites of that outstanding lineup, and certainly match the quality of the better games on the SNES Mini.

Outside of shmups the library is also pretty good. Top SNES and Genesis games beat many of those games, but many are also very fun and well worth playing. Like, Bonk's Adventure (here as PC Genjin; game is the same) and Bonk's Revenge aren't quite Mario World or Sonic the Hedgehog quality, but they are pretty good, fun A-grade platformers. Ys I & II is a classic for a reason. Military Madness is a good early predecessor to games like Advance Wars. The Neutopia games are solid NES-ish Zelda titles. Bomberman '93 and '94 are two of the best Bomberman games ever made and are definite classics. Alien Crush is one of the best pinball games of the generation. Etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just the other day here someone made a thread declaring three 2d Metroids the "best 2d trilogy in gaming". I asked what they thought of the three Gen/MD Shinobi games and they hadn't played them. If they were just praising Metroid, that would be cool, but to declare a best 2d series without having played a major Sega franchise is baffling to me.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The 16-bit generation is tied with Gen 6 (PS2/GCN/Xbox) as my favorite era in video games. I adore all consoles from this cycle. Every system had a tremendous library and I have decent experience with all of them.

...and I still think Nintendo at its best during this time was lightyears beyond anyone else. If that makes me a fanboy, cool.

And like why would anyone actually have a problem with someone believing Star Fox 64 is the best shooter of the fifth generation....that's not exactly an outlandish opinion to hold, whether you agree with it or not.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
PC Engine because it's the way Nintendo and Sega should have done it - ditch the regional nonsense and have a larger collection that combines all regions.

I want to play MUSHA dammit!