• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I want to print some articles for a friend and I'm wondering which font and font size I should choose. I'm leaning towards Arial font size 11.

What's your favorite?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't use Arial. Print it all in 12 point Garamond.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i would say you should choose a serif font for print and arial is sans serif

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer fonts with serifs for prolonged reading, which i imagine is the case. I usually use Google's Noto for that kind of random stuff.

When i want to be fancy i use Inconsolata which is a nice monospaced font, but i would advise against it for blocks of text.

Also keep aware that you might be bound by a style guide if you're doing work for some publication/under academic tutelage/etc, which may demand certain fonts/font styles.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
Are the most common fonts usually easier to read? Every news site in my country uses Arial which may be the reason I prefer that.

OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'll go with a Serif font, not sure which one though. I've printed a page in Garamond 12 and Georgia 11 which are both the same size in print. Garamond looks prettier but Georgia seems slightly more readable.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I have a family member who worked for Microsoft, a lot on Office until he left. They did a lot of research and testing and that's why Calibri body 11 is the default for Outlook since like 2010 or thereabouts. It's extremely similar to various other fonts, reads as well printed as it does on a screen, and readable to most people even at smaller sizes. It also doesn't become garish when bolded, italicized, or slightly increased in size like Arial and some other fonts do.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm actually getting more tempted to go with a less familiar font like Bodoni MT now. Apparently more difficult to read fonts are better memorized.

Any suggestions for harder to read yet pleasant fonts? (other than Comic Sans)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Comic Sans is literally designed to be easier than normal to read. They've done all sorts of studies on it. People with dyslexia, for example, can read Comic Sans dramatically easier. Part of the reason is because every character has a unique shape, unlike in serif or traditional fonts.