• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which flop system are you the most fond of?

• Sega Dreamcast

Votes: 1,557 49.6%
  • Nintendo Wii U

Votes: 817 26.0%
  • PlayStation Vita

Votes: 1,123 35.8%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 58 1.8%
  • Ouya

Votes: 25 0.8%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 128 4.1%

• Total voters

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast was amazing while it lasted. For those that knew the unbelievable quality and creativity of releases in just a short span, it was really frustrating watching it get pummeled by essentially what was a DVD player for a good while.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
Virtual Boy. Mostly because, for some reason, it was the only console my dad ever played. He really liked Galactic Pinball and would play at the kitchen table a lot when I was a kid.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Dreamcast and 3DO are the ones that are like... locked into long term memories in my brain

But i think the Vita is probably the one I liked the most in the end. What a cool little machine sent out to die.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Dreamcast and Saturn for me.

Vita has like, maybe 2-3 games tops I'm interested in that I can't play anywhere else.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Vita by default as it was the only one I owned, and it was a Vita TV at that. My ass was too broke to get most systems anywhere close to launch growing up and into young aduthood, so by the time I could afford one it was clear which one(s) were going to stay around.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Dreamcast and Saturn for me.

Vita has like, maybe 2-3 games tops I'm interested in that I can't play anywhere else.

I think the Vita is great hardware, but lots of the software that appealed to me on the original PSP just... simply wasn't there?

Literally had probably about 100 physical (including lots of shmup/compilation imports) PSP titles and just a handful of Vita ones.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think the Vita is great hardware, but lots of the software that appealed to me on the original PSP just... simply wasn't there?

Literally had probably about 100 physical (including lots of shmup/compilation imports) PSP titles and just a handful of Vita ones.
Yeah, the hardware and featureset was amazing, but that lineup didn't stack up to PSP's at all for me. When I owned one, I had about maybe 3-4 games on it that weren't ports of games I could play on PS3/PS4, and I'm not really a fan of any of the genres the platform ended up carving a niche for later in it's lifespan.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Dreamcast easily. I actually quit gaming for years after Sega quit the hardware business.
I loved everything about that console.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Dreamcast - only one of these devices were the problem was not the device itself, but the company that made it.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the virtual boy actually. It was just such a hard swerve away from being playable at all, I kind of respect it

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
OUYA and 32X for me. I have the launch day OUYA version which came in a fancier box than the standard versions. I checked the scene out a while ago and there's some kind of unofficial store for it, which I must get round to trying. It's a shame it didn't work out after some fairly good support from big names at the start.

32X is one of my GOAT consoles from an enjoyment perspective. Countless hours spent playing Doom, Virtua Racing Deluxe, Mortal Kombat II and B.C. Racers. An utterly amazing system.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Voted for two.
Wii U & Vita.
Wii U had an amazing library of quality (1st party) titles. Switch has been riding on them for a while now.
And Vita was such a beautiful handheld in every way, it's sad.

Oct 25, 2017
xjPi6Th.gif

I love the vita but this gif was definitely its low point

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I picked other for Sega Saturn because it had a RAM cart for Xmen Vs Street fighter. Dreamcast would be my other pick as it had Arcade quality ports or sometimes even better, the VGA cable was rad at the time and the online was fun.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Wii U, but that's only because I was 8 when the Dreamcast dropped and I had no legacy of Sega hardware in the house and I owned a N64, PS1 and a Game Boy Pocket. I was beyond spoiled enough. Dreamcast woulda been quite the experience though. I remember playing Sonic Adventure pre-release at some sorta event and was blown away (I loved Sonic the character despite only playing Sega hardware when visiting family).

By the time I'd pick between a launch window PS2 and a Dreamcast, obviously the Dreamcast was on the way out, and I had my sights on GameCube too. So my parents wouldn't let me even pick up a clearance Dreamcast, understandably.

So yeah, Wii U was cool. Besides speed and requiring the cumbersome Gamepad to operate the OS even if you were just gonna play a game with a Pro controller, features like the Miiverse gave it way more personality than the Switch, and the games are legendary.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The Dreamcast (and unlisted Saturn) got so much use from me I never considered them flops. My first thought was 3DO, which wasn't where it needed to be at all in terms of price or power but damn it, it tried! Second place would be Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
I still remember renting a Saturn from Blockbuster and playing one of those Star Wars FPS games. Forget which one...

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
Dreamcast. There was just something about it that when you powered it on, it relaxed me.

It may have also been my age and all but I have a lot of nostalgia for that system and the games being bright, colorful, with great music.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
There is no console I have more affection for than the Sega Saturn. I even think its western only library is highly underrated even by many Saturn fans.

Oct 28, 2017
One of my earlieast gaming memorie is my thumb hurting from the sharp edges of that shitty dpad of the dreamcast controller while playing Soul Calibur. So Sega's last console will always have a special place for me.

skaertus

Aug 16, 2020
My favorite flop system of all time would be the Sega Master System. It was not actually a flop, though. It sold poorly in both the United States and Japan, the two biggest video game console markets (with combined sales of about 3 million), which were dominated at the time by Nintendo. The lack of sales made Sega bring the Mega Drive/Genesis to the market as early as 1988 in Japan.

However, the Master system was a success in Europe, with 6.8 million units sold. And it was a smash hit in Brazil, where it eventually sold 8 million units (over the course of 30 years), becoming the best-selling video game console ever in the country.

The Master System had a limited library, with most games made by Sega itself. But there were great games available for the console. Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Castle of Illusion, Lucky Dime Caper, Asterix, Phantasy Star...

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
c74ae59ce90c2171489a3703618e888b.jpg

The 5200 is a fantastic console. The controllers were the problem. It's just the carbon contacts that gave problems. I glued aliminum foil on mine and never had an issue.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wii U was fun. Imagine a world where it actually worked and Miiverse and TVii became long term things. Looking back a lot of it was flawed from the get go, but still.

Apr 24, 2018
I've bought a few Vita games. Ultimately, they were all ported to console (Danganronpa, Zero Escape) or I never got around to playing them (RIP my PS1 classics collection). The last bastion is Persona 4 Golden.

...I've never owned a Vita proper (I do have a sealed PS TV packed in a moving box, somewhere). And therefore, I voted Dreamcast.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Dreamcast was a big part of my adolescence, but i love my little Vita so much i had to vote for it too.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Wii U. Had some truly unique experiences in there. Nintendoland was something special and it's never really been replicated outside of some smartphone/console hybrid games but it's never been quite the same.

Vita and Dreamcast both had 90% of their decent games end up on better platforms (so did Wii U but the way it played was never quite replicated). I really like Wonderswan if we're talking handhelds, had a bunch of good games that were stuck on the system, Japan only.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Dreamcast easily. So many cool ass games, and the VMU was a neat innovation at the time.

I bought the PSP and the Vita, and both were basically expensive paperweights for me. Not really their fault, I've just never been big into portable gaming.