• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which modern Final Fantasy game do you think is the best?

• Final Fantasy XII

• Final Fantasy XIII

• Final Fantasy XV

Results are only viewable after voting.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
XII no question.

Narrative quibbles aside it is a masterclass in world building and mechanics. Best FF.

*edit* X is a really mediocre game not sure why it's so lauded.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
XII for sure out of the post X era. I do have a soft soft spot for XIII though.

XIV and XI don't belong. Glad they were left off.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
XII takes this running away. It's not even remotely a contest. While all three are the products of troubled development, XII is at the very least a fun and compelling product in the end. XIII is like a weird avant garde game design project in seeing how little they could get away with in a mainline FF and XV is a weird hodgepodge of ideas and concepts scotch taped together.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It's Final Fantasy XIII for me, and it's really not even close. XIII >>>>> XV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XII.

Yes, I realize that's an unpopular opinion. No, I don't care. :D

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
XII hands down.

It's a damn shame that XIV is good, but stuck behind a monthly fee. I really wish they'd make a single-player offline title in that universe.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
With the caveat that I haven't played XV, it's definitely XII.

Also Bravely Default is a cool game and all but I wouldn't call it the best because the writing is pretty bad, worse than most FF games I've played tbh.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
12, but the real answer is 14 despite not being included in the OP.

14 is perhaps the best FF I've played since the 2000s

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
XII since it is THE best Final Fantasy unless we're counting Tactics. I think those saying XIV are surely talking about the expansions since the base game is ehhhh...fun to play in short bursts but not exactly gripping. XII is far better than base game XIV.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
By those options? 12 but 15 is really close to it. But 14 would be my pick if it were there hands down.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Talking about development issues being a common point for all three of them avoids the fact that FFXII had development issues in being the most ambitious FF project to date, of which it largely succeeds at delivering what it sets out to do. Whereas 13 and 15 were much less ambitious in scope and had a deeply unfocused vision, compounded by Square's insistence in using troublesome internal engines that ended up blowing up in their face.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
I have only played XV and XII: TZA early this in this order. XV was a huge disappointment. XII: TZA a huge pleasent surprise.

WhenI find the time I will play the XIII games or at least XIII itself.
I still hope SquareEnix will release a remastered XIII collection for PS4.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
XII is so incredibly overhyped that I ended up hating it a lot more than I should have. It's painfully average story is lowered even further with its abysmal 'protagonist' and it's gameplay style of 'watch the game play itself' is sleep inducing. Entertaining the idea of XII being one of the GOATs is something I simply can't do.
Pretty much. I give it credit for trying to do away with random encounters, but the battle system sucks the longer you play because it gets automated more and more.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
XII, by a country mile. It's also better than most pre-X FFs.

The MMOs sound like they're really great too if you're into 'em, but controversial opinion time... I don't think they should be numbered mainline entries, simply by virtue of the fact that ongoing MMOs are completely different beasts compared to a single-player entry.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
This should be like 90% for XII and I feel like I'm being generous.

Granted a lot of people would have voted for XIV if they had the option.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Phantom Thief the sheer audacity to leave off XI, I can't

This poll is so fundamentally flawed.

4ekv4Fy.png

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
This should be like 90% for XII and I feel like I'm being generous.

The thing about FF12, it's the least Final Fantasy like of the main FF games. At least FF15 draws deep from that Final Fantasy tradition in spite of everything it does to reinvent the series.

FF12 should have been called Ivalice Fantasy or Vagrant Story 2 or something.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
XV is amazing. Maybe I can say this because I never played it, but I watched the game be played by multiple people when it came out, and it was such a big thing for me on it's release. Too bad for the numerous shortcomings, but the good things really stood out regardless, and makes me quite optimistic for the series' future.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Not including XI or XIV, I'd probably say XII. I didn't really enjoy XIII at all. I loved the gameplay and world of XV, but there were just too many messes with the story IMO.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
By default; XV. Even if I didn't enjoy how the story was told, I quite enjoyed what it was going for.
I...don't get the love for XII. Nothing in that game clicked with me. I clearly don't see what other people here are seeing in it.
XIII had abhorrent characters and poor worldbuilding, but there's a shell of a good game in there.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
By default; XV. Even if I didn't enjoy how the story was told, I quite enjoyed what it was going for.
I...don't get the love for XII. Nothing in that game clicked with me. I clearly don't see what other people here are seeing in it.
XIII had abhorrent characters and poor worldbuilding, but there's a shell of a good game in there.
Because it's a great game and it is still the most ambitious FF to this day, wildly ahead of its time in 2006. The Zodiac Age made me love it even more with all the improvements that the game deserved to become a definitive edition.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
XIV can be played 90% single player and the required multiplayer content is pretty easy.

If not that, then XV.

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Unpopular opinion, XV. I was engrossed in that game, I get the reason for the disdain, but it really resonated with me.