• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• Gridania

Votes: 271 40.5%
  • Limsa Lominsa

Votes: 235 35.1%
  • Ul'dah

Votes: 163 24.4%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I STARTED in Gridania but I honestly think Limsa is the coolest.

Ul'dah would be the coolest but I cannot side with any government run primarily by walking potatoes.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Limsa is cool cause pirates
Uldah is cool cause it reminds me of Rabanastre

Gridania sucks because those Wildwood supremacists have been harassing a Duskwight outside of the Lancer guild since 2013.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Gridania sucks. Market area is hideous and overall it's peak PS3 era design of high artificial feeling walls everywhere when it's trying to depict a wooded area. Tons of bad empty space, particularly in the buildings, and the aethernet has horrid placement for crystals. Inn is great but some of the invisible walls kill me.

Limsa hits its theme and you go there because the marketboard is right there. Having the main area just be "busy" like this can just feel annoying though on top of the usable area being claustrophobic. If the split between the upper and lower decks wasn't cut with a load and you could see and move more freely between them it'd be much better.

Ul'dah feels the most interesting, though from a practical standpoint it doesn't get used on most data centers, since the inn and marketboard are both sort of in a middleground, though it's nice that the distance between those two things is very short. It has the most personality and when it actually is populated by players it spreads them pretty well.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Gridania and Limsa are both gorgeous. Playing those towns in ARR after the travesty of XIII was such an unbelievable experience back in 2013.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limsa is my favourite starting city-state, but Ul'dah has the best music.

Bavera__

Feb 3, 2019
Italy
Started in Gridania because of archer but limsa willl forever be my favorite

the themes, the lore, all the players always hanging out in the aetheryte plaza playing music or posing around or just messing with their friends AND the market board really make me love it

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the city kind of feel of Limsa Lominsa. Sitting at one of the tables by the cooking place was one of my favorite places to idle in the whole game, actually.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I like Limsa only because it's the one I default go to and was my starting home. It's basically the first 70 levels hub town I feel. Maybe it's just me, but the other two feel pretty dead where as limsa always has a billion people gathered around the crystal like a proper hub interacting and such.

edit: Also, all the stores and market board are right next to the crystal.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I usually resub once or twice a year to catch up and will make a point to visit my starting city of Gridania while I get back into the game's systems. Started out there in the beta, started out there in the full game. Still beautiful. Most relaxing music of the starting cities and the Inn is just at the Aetheryte. Also it feels smaller and more comfy than both Limsa and Ul'dah.
I never really liked Limsa's seaport atmosphere, and while I like Ul'dah in short bursts the layout is just horrible.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I only go to gridania because it's the fastest to the inn. Limsa is great. I avoid uldah like the plague.

Noctis0Stella

Mar 17, 2019
Definitely gridania just because of the warm, chill and cozy feeling and the music there is just perfect.
When I first played free version I just wanted to live there xD
Even now after playing the game for about half a year.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Limsa is the best - not sure how gridania is at all close, those elvish backwoods and their theatre...

Deleted member 69573

Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I genuinely dislike Limsa and don't understand people saying it's easy to navigate. If you're doing actual quests there it's super frustrating. Only looks nice during a clear night too and the overall design is kind of a slapdash combination of ideas that's almost tacky. They should have gone way harder for the seaside aesthetic and the market board being close isn't worth how cliquey it feels, especially for new players.

Gridania too, looks like butts outside during the day. Though it has really nice interiors and is stunning during rain and at night.

I love Uldah and I usually hate desert areas in games. Design, vibe, looks great during day and night and all weather. Sometimes I'll just sit on a bench for a few minutes taking it all in and the people who hang out there seem the chillest in my experience.

Last edited:

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the only 3 locations you even need in limsa is the aetheryte, the aftcastle and to a lesser extent the fishing trainer

dont let it get overcomplicated!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Limsa has the best atmosphere but the layout is terrible and it takes forever to load into on PS4 because everyone loves Limsa.
Gridania does nothing for me. If it was bit smaller overall, I'd be fine with it, but it just feels too big.

So I guess I have to give it to Ul'dah, which also has a rough layout but it's better than Limsa and like the style of it way more than offbrand LOTR elf city. And it goes without saying that it's WAY more interesting than the other two in terms of story.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Ul'dah. It has the best theme and it's the only city that's still relevant to the story as far as Stormblood.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Uldah since it has the most interesting story around it

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I started in Gridania, but after spending alot of time in the game now, I'd out Limsa Lomisa as the top city. It helps that the marketboards and shops are right next to the main plaza.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
U9WGhY3.jpg

1.00 areas felt soo big and grand.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Gridania. It's home. I was so upset when my FC chose to get a house in the Goblet :'D

One of the main reasons I wanted to go to the Eorzea Cafe is because it was very Carline Canopy-styled.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I started in Gridania and wish I did Ul'dah. Queen Namo is MY QUEEN. No other land will do. Plus the city is nice and bustling. I hate the layout for it and Limsa though. What designer came up with those crappy layouts? They make me appreciate the straightforward nature of Gridania...

Still Ul'dah is best. Gridania is so boring. No one wants to hang around trees and leaves. The nightly fireworks are okay I guess.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
Gridania since Realm Reborn, Limsa before that. Simple reason is best music, OG Limsa theme is God tier to me

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I like limsa's colors during daytime. I wish crystarium wasn't so big and open. It feels a little too empty and could use a lot more catwalks than it has right now.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gridania easily. If there's a forest town I can live in I'm there (shout out to Windurst). I stay find it the easiest to get around and I love the music. Uldah's nighttime music is amazing but I think the day music is the worst town theme, whereas I dig all of Grid's music.

Though Ishgard is by far my favorite city period so if that was a starting city that'd be my choice. I'd really like to get a house there.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Atmosphere = Gridania
Music = Ul'dah
Function = Limsa Lominsa
Actual Home = Ishgard

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Limsa, there is a MB and a retainer bell right next to the main aetherite! can't get much better than that.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Gridania is where I started my whm, but I'm at limsa more because of the proximity to the market board.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I started in Gridania, and I love forests, but for usability Limsa is the best.
Ul'dah is nice but you spawn beyond the black stump.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Limsa Lominsa. I like the seafaring vibe it got going and it also looks the best.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
Questing in Limsa made me want to tear my hair out. I could never find the right path to something. Upper? Lower? WHERE IS IT?! It's really not somewhere I'd recommend people to start out in. The city is confusing as hell to navigate. It still tickles me whenever I see friends who are playing for the first time, running around Limsa like a headless chicken. I know that pain, my friend. I know it so well. It does have the best market board position for cross server mb diving though.

I found Ul'dah's aesthetics to be incredibly dull. That brown sandy look is terrible. There's a reason why the Ul'dah housing area is the least popular. My friends referred to it as the slums. I have a personal house in Limsa and moved our fc house out to Gridania as soon as I could.

So that leaves us with Gridania. The easiest to navigate. It just feels so welcoming to me. I like cities that have a lot of green in them. My one gripe is the lack of a direct tp point for the market area.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Ul'dah is Lastok.
Limsa is fun if you like pirates, annoying if you hate them. Started there. Meh.
Gridania is pretty and comfy, and it's my favorite.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Ul'dah. I like the aesthetic, and the music. I also like the characters.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Ul'dah, I loved the characters and the aesthetic. Man I miss XIV I gotta return to it...

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Ul'dah is the only one that feels like an actual living breathing city of those three imo. Gridania is the worst but its still fairly cozy at least.