• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Star Wars era do you prefer new games to be set in?

• Old Republic

Votes: 182 32.8%
  • High Republic

Votes: 86 15.5%
  • Prequel trilogy era

Votes: 101 18.2%
  • Original trilogy era

Votes: 120 21.6%
  • Sequel trilogy era

Votes: 66 11.9%

• Total voters

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
With almost five eras now to cover, there are a lot of different settings that Star Wars video games can be set in. Battlefront 2 (2017) was interesting in the way that it tried to straddle the prequel era, original trilogy era, and the sequel era. The Lego Star Wars games also try to address all eras, especially the forthcoming one. This also makes me wonder which era the new games being made will be set in, so I wondered what people's preferences would be. Rougly, we can divide them into:
  • Old Republic: This era is pretty much Legends these days, but EA's MMO is keeping it alive. It is first established by Bioware's KOTOR and Obisidian's KOTOR2.
  • High Republic: A very recent era introduced by Disney with a multimedia launch of comics and novels. We have yet to see any game, TV, or film about the era, but we can likely assume some of the future games will make it into it.
  • Prequel era: The era most notably set in the Clone Wars era and around the prequel films with Anakin, Obiwan, Padme, Dooku, Grievous, Ahsoka, Sidious, Yoda, Mace Windu, and many others. We had some great games from that era, notably Republic Commando, Podracer, Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Wars, Battlefront 2, and Pandemic's Clone Wars vehicle shooter, the Revenge of the Sith game, and the Clone Wars Republic Heroes game.
  • Original trilogy era: Speaks for itself. Darth Vader, Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando, etc. Notable games set in this era are many, many classics like Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Tie Fighter, the X-Wing games, the Rogue Squadron games, Empire at War, Shadows of the Empire, Battlefront classic and Battlefront 2015. The two Force Unleashed games also take place during this era.
  • Sequel trilogy era: The new Disney trilogy with Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren, Leia, Luke, and Han. The games set in this era are only Battlefront 2 and Star Wars Squadrons and the Lego Force Awakens game. EA's exclusive license has meant only few games have been made for this era the last 7 years.
I hope this division is okay and that it's okay that I included the very nascent High Republic, even though so little media exist about it so far. I'm wondering what people's thoughts are and also which era do you think is likely.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I'll go sequel trilogy era. Help flesh out the era both before and after the movies.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I want the movies to go into the actual future.

The TV shows can dick around wherever, there's plenty of options for variety.

For games? The High Republic sounds pretty awesome honestly. I just want big battles and groups of jedi's who aren't totally useless.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for the High Republic because I'm excited about something that's novel, but after watching the first 3 1/2 seasons of the Clone Wars I realize that the prequel era could make for a very compelling game (much more so than I would have concluded from the films).

However, that being said, it's time to chart some new territory.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Old Republic. I think they could do a trilogy easily out of the Mandalorian Wars and Reven's Sith Empire. Followed by the exile's story.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Either after ROTJ or between ROTS and ANH.

I think the Old Republic makes for an interesting setting too but if they're going to break from the PT/OT era, the either go tens of thousands of years before that period or tens of thousands of years afterward.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Either Old Republic or High Republic. Both seem removed enough from movie eras as to allow biggest changes, since everything is canon now. I gave the edge to the Old Republic because I'm much more familiar with it and it looks like the more interesting setting.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean I think you gotta go with "A Long time ago in a galaxy far far away..."

Oct 27, 2017
I say Sequel Trilogy era because I'd like to see them have the most creative freedom possible. Forge a new path.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wherever you can jam the most Jedi. Let's get back to the wizards with laser swords, please.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the era as much as how close and how far away they are from the main conflicts and how much they explore angles that haven't been thought of vs. doing really obvious stuff like Jedi: Fallen Order.

That being said I chose prequel.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
After doing a quick search on the new "High Republic" material that Disney announced for this year, that seems to be along the lines of where I've wanted to see some Star Wars games go for a long time. Relatively close to the prequel era, but still set far enough before Episode 1 and the Skywalker saga that it has its own place in the timeline, similar to the Old Republic when that was created.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, OT, has been done to death and prequel era is well covered between 3 films plus clone wars show.

I sort of agree that anything post original trilogy is the best place to mine stories right now. Other than the stuff that followed the protags in the sequel trilogy, Honestly this whole era still feels very murky to me. What was this New Republic all about? (that was incinerated by Starkiller base). Why didn't they have a huge central army (and only had a little ragtag resistance around to fight the First Order). Anything with Imperial remnants, and whatnot is interesting stuff. And I'll take any post sequel trilogy stories featuring new characters/antagonists

Obviously, The Mandalorian is coming up huge exploring some of the earlier events leading to the post OT stuff.

I will say the High Republic stuff looks promising too- pretty much a blank slate for any kind of storytelling. Only reservation is I'm not sure who the villains would be in this time period, since would Sith be sort of on the downlow during this time (until Palpatine made his move. I always had the impression, this is just a happy hunky dory time rife with peach and jedi in their prime, but we'll see what they come up with.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI OP, the Old Republic was first estabilished by the Tales of the Jedi comics. Unless you are talking specifically about games then, yes KOTOR was the first.

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Interesting to see that the Old Republic is in the lead, despite the fact that it's pretty much abandoned by Disney, at least as far as I'm aware. I wouldn't expect any future projects to be set in that era, to be honest.

Just FYI OP, the Old Republic was first estabilished by the Tales of the Jedi comics. Unless you are talking specifically about games then, yes KOTOR was the first.

Yeah I was only referring to games, but you're totally right that it was introduced by the comics.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
i think i still want to see content following a new path post episode ix. I still haven't seen episode ix. sounded really disappointing, but thinking about this, yeah. i will prob watch it this weekend to keep up with things. universe desperately needs a reset, but i also think there are a lot of great stories to tell surrounding the rejuvenation of the republic and the lingering threat of the empire, with an unaccounted for grand admiral possibly thrown in the mix ;)

despite enjoying the disney films well enough, the way jj et al approached the post episode VI period is not my favourite. rather than exploring the empire as a crumbling vestige relying on guerilla tactics led by a ruthless, cunning villain written in contrast to the dogmatic melodrama of the sith, as Zahn's brilliant Thrawn trilogy did, they relied more on pastiche and nostalgia. loved a few little hints they threw in, in the mandalorian though. being a big fan of the 80s timothy zahn thrawn trilogy, i am so into a plotline involving thrawn. i also think jedi / sith work better as powerful, enigmatic relics of a past era as in the original trilogy or as a spectre spoken of and rarely seen as in mando. i think content following episode ix can potentially take a more interesting tack now, but tbh, i don't know where they'd start. if the little hint about thrawn in mando comes around to him being a focus of a new cinematic series, i'd be down with that. making a high republic setting full of jedi interesting seems a very tall order to me. too traditionally fantastical and grandiose.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Further from the movies = more creative freedom. I find the cameos of major movie characters in games (and also TV shows/movies) quite annoying because it makes the universe feel so small (can't we dig up more characters???).

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017
Clone Wars era is just ripe for great stories. Alliances, betrayal, galaxy-wide war. They managed to have a cartoon last 7 seasons and people still want more for a reason.

OT is solid, but it's basic with mostly the same kind of stories recycled about fighting tyranny and creating hope for the future.

Sequels era is just boring to me. It's just a redux of the OT but more watered down because the First Order doesn't have occupational control of the galaxy like the Empire did. So all of those stories about fighting tyranny are now about stopping tyranny from rising again.

Between eras is when shit gets good. The Imperial expansion and hunting down of the Jedi between III-IV ala Jedi Fallen Order. And the power vacuum post-VI ala Mandalorian. They leave more focus on individual stories when there isn't some major galactic conflict going on.

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this isn't me being dismissive but... it won't matter if they don't move away from the films. The story group seems to have such a crazy control over anything around the films, during that period, or those characters; that I almost want the games to step so far away so that you aren't beholden to it. Like the "hey you can't use Asoka Tano because we might use her in the future during this time period"... just stuff like that.

I'd like for them to branch away from the OT and expand the story instead of trying to explain existing plot lines or threads. Like they're making a huge push for High Republic, let's go there.

**Jedi Fallen Order was really nice though, but I'm sure they went through a lot of issues trying to fit it in.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Either High Republic for something new, or the Resistance era because it's the least explored of the "main" ones.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Squadrons isn't really sequel era, it takes place in the early days of the New Republic, much like Mandalorian. So does Jedi Academy, although that's obviously Legends now.

Don't really care as long as there's lightsabers.
This.

But given the choice, I'd like some more Clone Wars action. The time between Prequels and OT is also cool, like in Fallen Order.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say old or high republic eras since they're less used and can avoid making every damn story about a Skywalker. The period between OT and ST could be potentially interesting too, if only because it's still not entirely clear how the New Republic bungled things so hard to allow the 1st Order not only rise to power, but also pretty easily destroy the New Republic.