• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 24, 2019
You mean which is more intense?
I guess it just depends on how long you draw the stare-down out.

Yer missing the fancy lad duels.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever Yugioh decided to start dueling on motorcycles.

I guess if you mean Hollywood versions I prefer wild west duels.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cowboy because it can be over so quickly and traditionally waits for a signal.
You think Katana duels last long?
anton-gonzalez-3.gif

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Yeah I thought someone would come back with this.

I understand that the 'drawing strike' is a thing but I suspect that most duels were a bit more drawn out and messy than that.

Edit: Iaijutsu.

I guess shooting somebody with a gun without hitting vital organs can get messy and a bit more drawn out too.

But yes, when we're talking "formal" duels with a one-hit win condition, the shoot out scenario is cleaner.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll have to go with the western.
Obviously Sergio Leone borrowed/stole ideas from Samurai films, but when they came together with the Morricone music then... damn!
vB5054Bj4svz6tmWVEOUPhcBsphOMV0Bdm2Pri7WzX6w0K9ieHA4kwuSSPw7BBsttJG_1JnAdWOri989VeBqvYDH7lQyUo4qWHyE7ujKr0MAwKQLF4uDJGBcx_0hHk55rdn_uxLj6GNco8emUoSX7mklJX3KTqmX2n26K1V1eOtleFFn3F63MxlHfmapsVRS7TopSw

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
At least post something classic.

tumblr_my0i7dmqgJ1so3pgmo1_400.gif

Too right....forgive me.

Yeah I thought someone would come back with this.

I understand that the 'drawing strike' is a thing but I suspect that most duels were a bit more drawn out and messy than that.

Edit: Iaijutsu.

Just generally the katana duels werent like in hollywood lasting from first strike usually seconds.
Assuming you werent hit in a vital spot getting shot you have more the enough time to completely unload your pistols.
Getting your arm/leg sliced clean off or getting you innards turned to outards will immediately put you in shock and you pretty much cant fight anymore.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I think the best Western duels often come out on top, my favorite all time duel is from a Samurai film, specifically the final duel of Akira Kurosawa's Sanjuro with with the late great Toshiro Mifune. I've timestamped the start of the duel below but take the time to watch the whole scene as its just masterclass film making and acting.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Cowboy duel you have a good chance of dying instantly whereas Samurai is more intense because of the threat of being fucking gutted and dying slowly

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_nizcpqjRIn1rnneano1_500.gif

tumblr_mih5fbGaYp1rt8levo10_500.gif

giphy.gif

I love western standoffs but I've found that samurai duels tend to be more cinematic and intense.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The fact that dueling was actually a thing is the wildest shit to me. Like, a cowboy accused another one of cheating at a game of cards and now one of them has to die. That was an event that occurred in this reality.

Pretty hard to beat a gun duel in intensity and stupidity.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Posting Barry Lyndon is practically cheating. Every shot of that film looks so damn good.

2wuz7nR.gif

Yo OP, your subject is worded strangely, but to answer the question: Samurai look intensely.

Last edited:

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
While I think the best Western duels often come out on top, my favorite all time duel is from a Samurai film, specifically the final duel of Akira Kurosawa's Sanjuro with with the late great Toshiro Mifune. I've timestamped the start of the duel below but take the time to watch the whole scene as its just masterclass film making and acting.

Is this really masterclass for 1962? I feel like I can find much much better done scenes from around the time. I should probably watch the entire film before judging but that scene just seemed meh lol

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
The fact that dueling was actually a thing is the wildest shit to me. Like, a cowboy accused another one of cheating at a game of cards and now one of them has to die. That was an event that occurred in this reality.

Pretty hard to beat a gun duel in intensity and stupidity.
So obviously the way they show it in cowboy movies isn't quite real. It's exaggerated to the max, also that whole quick draw gunslinger thing wasn't like a common thing. Dueling, specially sword based dueling existed way before that...I think more from medieval europe where it was that whole "protecting honor" bs. Someone insulted you, you would challenge them formally, they'd accept, and you would fight at dawn or some bs.

Is this really masterclass for 1962? I feel like I can find much much better done scenes from around the time. I should probably watch the entire film before judging but that scene just seemed meh lol
Did you just insult Yojimbo? Good lord. Although it is a pulpy epic based on Dashiell Hammet's hard boiled classic novel "Red Harvest", countless versions of which has been done like Last Man Standing. Yojimbo is a classic.

Oct 26, 2017
It's all romanticized, really based on the director

I'd say samurai since blades are a bit more intimate than guns

Also I will fight anyone who shit talks Yojimbo, it's a fantastic film

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
So obviously the way they show it in cowboy movies isn't quite real. It's exaggerated to the max, also that whole quick draw gunslinger thing wasn't like a common thing. Dueling, specially sword based dueling existed way before that...I think more from medieval europe where it was that whole "protecting honor" bs. Someone insulted you, you would challenge them formally, they'd accept, and you would fight at dawn or some bs.

Did you just insult Yojimbo? Good lord. Although it is a pulpy epic based on Dashiell Hammet's hard boiled classic novel "Red Harvest", countless versions of which has been done like Last Man Standing. Yojimbo is a classic.
LOL inadvertently
Guess I know what I'm watching tomorrow.

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Mifune cutting Nakadai up is such a beautiful shot scene, you know it's about to go down, but nothing had prepared me for that.

Gun duel wise, not even the Dollars trilogy registers for me on the same scale.

Also, not a duel, but Road to Perdition has some of the most beautiful shots featuring people getting executed by guns, Chiaran Hinds in the warehouse and Paul Newman "I'm glad it's you" scene. Dang.