• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Mar 31, 2018
I recently got a Nintendo DS lite. I was wondering if you can recommend any games to play (again) on the DS. There are quite a few games that are worth playing and I would like to try out several of them.

It would also be nice if you could also recommend some games for a casual gamer.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any genres you want in particular? It's a huge library, so specifying would help.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Obligatory Phoenix Wright trilogy, Ghost Trick and 999
EDIT: Also Mega Man Zero collection
Pretty broad question, lol

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
51Fs%2BalNNOL.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
All 4 Ace Attorney games
Ghost Trick
Any mainline Pokemon (I'd just stick with Platinum for gen iv though)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time
NSMB
Any Dragon Quest, but probably V most of all.

Off the top of my head are great games that are more casual.

Kakadu18

Banned
Dec 31, 2020
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks.
They look ugly but are a lot of fun to play if you like action-adventure games.

For RPGs all mainline Pokemon games are great on the DS.
New Super Mario Bros. is the best choice for a platformer, since the controlls in Super Mario 64 DS, with the d-pad are a bit clunky.
Animal Crossing: Wild World is still worth playing too.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few great games on the system, but if I had to pick one:

615DXM5JSFL.jpg

My favorite game on the system and one of my favorites of all time. One of the funniest localizations I've ever seen, and the tank battles are so fun and satisfying. And the overworld exploration ain't bad either, albeit a bit basic. No prior knowledge of Dragon Quest needed; it's the game that got me into the series, and frankly the monster designs and writing are the best aspects of the series, so you kinda get a nice condensed love letter to Dragon Quest with none of the baggage

Mar 30, 2019
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Metroid Prime Hunters
Kirby Canvas Curse
Elite Beat Agents
Rhythm Heaven
Tetris DS
Picross 3D
Dragon Ball: Origins
Meteos

I'll stop here, cuz I'm drawing a temporary blank without repeating others.

OP
OP
OrdinaryUsername
Mar 31, 2018
Thanks for the advice, you guys can always recommend more games.

Are there any genres you want in particular? It's a huge library, so specifying would help.
I don't really have a preference of genre. Just list your favorite games.

Yes, I will look into that. This is the best version of the various Picross games out there? I must regretfully admit that I have never played a game in the series (although it seems to be very popular here).

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
All the Castlevanias and Phoenix Wright games, but definitely check out Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan (2) if you can find it. Ouendan 2 is probably my most played DS game

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Rondo of Swords
Touch Detective 1/2
Radiant Historia
Infinite Space
Mega Man Zero Collection
Hotel Dusk
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Tetris DS
Henry Hatsworth
Bangai-O Spirits
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 1/2
Ketsui
Solatorobo
Chrono Trigger
Dragon Quest IV/V
Super Princess Peach
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia
Ghost Trick
Kirby's Canvas Course
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Bowser's Inside Story
Phoenix Wright 1/2/3/4
Ace Attorney Investigations 1/2 (need a fan translation for 2 unless you understand Japanese)
The World Ends With You
Professor Layton 1/2/3/4
Space Invaders Extreme 1/2
Picross DS
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Rune Factory 1-3
Super Princess Peach
Elite Beat Agents
Advance Wars DS
Advance Wars DOR
Etrian Odyssey 1/2/3
Mega Man Star Force 1/2/3
Mega Man ZX 1/2

Not necessarily exclusives - some games can be played elsewhere.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Dragon Quest 4/5/6
Etrian Odyssey 1/2/3
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
Radiant Historia
SMT: Strange Journey
Professor Layton series
Hotel Dusk/Last Window
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Contra 4
Aliens: Isolation
Ghost Trick
Phoenix Wright series

Soul Bubbles and Professor Layton are my usual recommendations for more sedate games

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019
Yes, I will look into that. This is the best version of the various Picross games out there? I must regretfully admit that I have never played a game in the series (although it seems to be very popular here).
I really enjoy all picross games, but Picross 3D is a great take on the formula while being incredibly packed full of puzzles. There is a lot of content in that game from what I remember. It should last you a long time.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I never did like that ridiculously low-effort reprint box art over the original.

Nine_Hours%2C_Nine_Persons%2C_Nine_Doors_Cover_Art.jpg

Most of what I would've recommended has been covered already, but to specify some of the other games I would co-sign among those:

Ace Attorney trilogy (not all that big on Apollo Justice, but feel free)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Contra 4
Sonic Rush
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Hotel Dusk

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Elite Beat Agents
Hotel Dusk
Pokemon Platinum, Black and White, HeartGold and SoulSilver
Ace Attorney Investigations (the spin-off with Miles Edgeworth, better than the main series imo)
Ghost Trick
The World Ends With you
Professor Layton
Inazuma Eleven
Trauma Center

I would avoid games you can find on modern systems like Phoenix Wright and Zero Escape.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Lucky for you I just made this thread OP:

www.resetera.com

It's time I revealed to you the most underrated Nintendo DS game of all time

It's Viva Piñata: Pocket Paradise, you goof. Go play it. I've been working through Rare Replay and had never given the original Viva Piñata a spin, so I thought why not, it's been a few years since I last played one. And it's great and all, but eventually it starts to sink in again: more than...

Viva Pinata is also perfect for a casual gamer, it's entirely at your own pace.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Warioware is ideal for the casual gamer, although the GBA ones are arguably better.

Animal crossing too if more modern versions aren't an option.

Oct 31, 2017
All of them! :D

You should start with Ghost Trick. The less you know about it, the better ;)

Ninja Gaiden DS is so good it's ridiculous. Seriously, how can this game be this good? Don't sleep on it.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Nostalgia. It's a great JRPG made by the team who did the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes for DS. Has a Skies of Arcadia meets steampunk feel to it.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
51XSH0JBDKL._SX385_.jpg

Loved this game and it's dirt cheap (at least here in Europe)

220px-RoboGamecover.jpg

The name speaks for itself: customized Robots fighting against each other in a small arena with free movement. Story was OK. Overall my favorite DS game.

Last edited:

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Hotel Dusk is the most DS game you can get since you hold the system sideways like a book to play it. Really missed things like this with the 3DS.

59-red_aura_3.gif

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few great games on the system, but if I had to pick one:

615DXM5JSFL.jpg

My favorite game on the system and one of my favorites of all time. One of the funniest localizations I've ever seen, and the tank battles are so fun and satisfying. And the overworld exploration ain't bad either, albeit a bit basic. No prior knowledge of Dragon Quest needed; it's the game that got me into the series, and frankly the monster designs and writing are the best aspects of the series, so you kinda get a nice condensed love letter to Dragon Quest with none of the baggage

Just want emphasize this recomendation, because reading it made me feel like I was the one who wrote it!

Even though it is now being recommended by two users with Dragon Quest related avatars, I assure you it requires no prior knowledge of the Dragon Quest series in order to enjoy it. In fact, this game was also my gateway to the DQ series (though Rocket Slime plays nothing like a Dragon Quest game).

This game is insanely fun and there is absolutely nothing out there that resembles this game's Tank Battles. It is an excellent showcase of the dual screen gameplay that the DS provides, to the point that I don't see this game being ported/remastered anytime soon because of it.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
People have already recommended most of the greats, so I'll just add this.

Phantasy Star Zero. I loved this little game. Still very sad that the official servers shut down, but you can play on unofficial ones.
Would recommend if you've played other Phantasy Star Online-style games or Monster Hunter games.

220px-Phantasy_Star_Zero.jpg

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Space Invaders Extreme 2.

Both Extreme games are great but Extreme 2 is 100% exclusive to DS (and likely always will be).

Space_Invaders_Extreme_2.jpg