• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Burst Damage vs Damage Over Time

• Burst Damage

Votes: 172 73.8%
  • Damage Over Time

Votes: 61 26.2%

• Total voters

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Burst Damage
giphy.gif

You are the kind of person who likes to kill as much as possible as quickly as possibly with as little effort as possible. You like to see big numbers and you wanna see how how big you can get them. You want to be able to press a single button and just watch everything on the screen die instantly.

Damage Over Time
giphy.gif

For you its not about pressing a single button and watching everything die. Its about pressing ALL the buttons and watching everything die. You don't care about getting "big" numbers. You only care about how many numbers you can get on the screen at once. You wanna see your enemies melt under the sheer number of effects you have applied to them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I am more of a DoTs guy myself. Burst damage is amazing in terms of getting stuff out of the way quickly, but can be a bit simple depending on the build. You just press a button or two and everything dies. Which is highly entertaining at first, but can get boring as time goes on. Its just not very engaging in most instances, but that also depends on the game. Damage Over Time however most often involves alot more knowledge and strategy in my experience. You have to combine effects and abilities in order to maximize your effectiveness. Which means you have to pay more attention to what you are fighting and you have to be more involved. And that to me is just a more fun way to play a video game in my opinion. I wanna be able to kill alot of stuff very quickly, but I also like to put in alot of effort in order to do it. Does that make sense?

So what say you Era? Burst Damage or DoT?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Burst Damage always. Dots are good on some situations only but annoying if you have to keep doing it over and over for every enemy.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Dot. I think it's more satisfying seeing things crumble; there's something pleasingly inevitable about dot.

Oct 25, 2017
So I voted for burst because I love that BLOW ALL COOL DOWNS MASH THE NUKE BUTTON INSTANT DEATH followed by like 3 min of wet noodling. It's a fun flow to me.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing better than playing venomancer on Dota and giving the other team DOT aids every 5 seconds with orb of venom and other items.

Honestly on the other side of things, shotgun morphling is one of the most fun builds ever, where you nuke other heroes with 1-2 shots too

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, but usually DoTs.

In FFXIV definitely DoT. I'm not good enough to time my bursts for maximum DPS.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DoT.

Love to get some poison/bleeding/fire/whatever going and laugh from afar :)

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I prefer damage over time, as it's nice to still deal damage while actively dodging and unable to attack.

Dot. I think it's more satisfying seeing things crumble; there's something pleasingly inevitable about dot.
Depends on the gaaammmmeeeeee.

For MMOs though, dot it up.
DoT.

Love to get some poison/bleeding/fire/whatever going and laugh from afar :)
giphy.gif

Burst damage all day, every day.

DoT is for nerds who use debuffs.
giphy.gif

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Burst because I'm addicted to instant gratification

It's still really fun to set up DoT on longer boss fights, though.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Depends on the game, but burst damage is way more satisfying generally.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
It's all about that burst. Nothing more satisfying than watching a health bar go from 100 - 0 in a single frame.

There's nothing better than playing venomancer on Dota and giving the other team DOT aids every 5 seconds with orb of venom and other items.

Honestly on the other side of things, shotgun morphling is one of the most fun builds ever, where you nuke other heroes with 1-2 shots too

C'maaaaaan, a veno DOT is nothing compared to a fully stacked PA (assuming that you're the PA of course!)
1ZO4bSB.gif

Ashrak

Completly depending on the game. In Borderlands 2, i was playing Zero with a Bloodshed-Build which is a classic Burst-Spec (dash through as many enemies as possible while you are cloaked). In World of Warcraft, i was an Affliction-Warlock, which is... yeah, DoT-based, mostly. And in Final Fantasy XIV, i play mostly Black Mage, which sounds and looks like a Burst Job, but is sustained Damage.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Back in vanilla WoW my first character was a warlock, and it was so satisfying applying lots of dots and other players running away knowing full well they will die no matter how much they run.

Generally these days though I have very little patience so it has to be burst damage.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
DoT because burst damage is not worth the cast times. SMN will always be more fun than BLM.

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
DoTs. Give me poisons and toxins, I don't care if it's not optimal, I'm running it.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think burst is what I lean towards just because you have more control over when you do damage. You can choose the best moments to do that damage due to that, where DoT you don't really have that control.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know about those but I can tell you hate they whole, " whittle down to a special " burst" that's the only way to defeat an enemy system.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
Highly situational and dependent on the game.

In MMOs, definitely damage-over-time, though having a little bit of burst available for trash mobs is important. In anything where I'm against another player, or a facsimile of a player, burst will always be king (though it's to the point where things like snipers - which combine burst, safety and distance - actively work to the detriment any competitive game they're in).

That said, I'm typically running between two and three grenade launchers at any given time in Destiny.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
DoT, because I can supplement it with other attacks that help deal more damage

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DoT all the way, watching mobs slowly drop dead while i'm wandering towards my next victims is great
Dots. Especially if they stack in intensity
Bursts are too quick. You can't savor all of the little...numbers.
Lemme tell you about my favorite status conditions in Pokémon games...
DoT because burst damage is not worth the cast times. SMN will always be more fun than BLM.
DoTs. Give me poisons and toxins, I don't care if it's not optimal, I'm running it.
Damage over time bc it makes me feel smart and strategic even though I never have a clue what I'm doing
DoT, because I can supplement it with other attacks that help deal more damage
manofculture.JPG