• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Better movie

• Shaun of the Dead

Votes: 260 34.3%
  • Hot Fuzz

Votes: 497 65.7%

• Total voters

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I love Hot Fuzz, but I like Shaun of the Dead more. I think Hot Fuzz is a bit too on the nose with some of its references and homages, Shaun isn't exactly subtle, but more so than Fuzz.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Hot Fuzz for sure. Its fun to rewatch and catch new jokes you didn't notice previously

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Hot Fuzz. Though they're both great i tend to lose interest in Shaun once they reach the pub.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
It's so obviously Hot Fuzz.

The final act of SotD is sort of terrible, after a very nice start.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen Shaun of the Dead a couple times and I think it's great, but I rewatch Hot Fuzz on the regular. It's amazing.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
tenor.gif

You can't ask me this question. That's like choosing between cheese pizza and pepperoni pizza. Both are equally great but different.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think Shaun of the Dead is slightly funnier, but I love them both.

EDIT: What happened to The World's End? Is it just not as good? I've seen it a total of 1 time in theatres and no one talks about it. I remember liking it but not as much as the other 2. Meanwhile, I watch Shaun and Hot Fuzz on the reg.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Although I can recognise Hot Fuzz as being a better movie, I much prefer Shaun of the Dead. I've got a thing for zombie movies and I loved how over the top it took the tropes. Plus, being from a suburban part of London myself it resonated more with me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Fuzz for me. It's a more clever script. Shaun is great, but it relies just a bit too much on being obvious with how it's "not your typical zombie movie". Hot Fuzz shows a massive leap in confidence to be subtle and subversive.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think Shaun of the Dead is slightly funnier, but I love them both.

EDIT: What happened to The World's End? Is it just not as good? I've seen it a total of 1 time in theatres and no one talks about it. I remember liking it but not as much as the other 2. Meanwhile, I watch Shaun and Hot Fuzz on the reg.

Give it a rewatch sometime. It's a movie that you just keep finding more and more in as you watch it again.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Hot Fuzz is much funnier

Shaun of the Dead is a genuinely good Zombie movie so I picked Shaun of the Dead

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Hot Fuzz is my least liked movie of all time.

Combination of way way overhyped and watching it for the first time with a super obnoxious mega-fan of the movie that laughed way too hard at every little joke. I can't stand the film.

I also find Edgar Wright's stuff simply not that funny.

I completely understand that I'm in the minority and have no real, concrete criticisms of the film other than "I hate it because of this experience".
That's such a bummer, I honestly love Hot Fuzz because it's very subtle with it's comedy. The jokes come and go like they aren't even jokes. I don't really find myself gut laughing at anything, just slightly chuckling to myself. It feels smart and subdued, which is what makes it feel like an honest classic instead of loud cringey reactionary comedy that's popular.

Knowing someone is being over the top about it like it's an annoying theater kid quoting Monty Python skits all day is a huge bummer, you got a very soured experience/expectation setup it seems.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Hot Fuzz is the best.

My friends and I still say The Greater Good at random moments.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
SotD has a fantastic first half where it plays the parody perfectly and then once they get to the pub it just becomes generic zombie horror movie and falls apart IMO. Was just a weird tone shift I didn't like. Hot Fuzz is perfect and I love it.

This was how I felt about it too. It was worse for me because I don't particularly like Zombie stuff to start with so it was sold to me as being a parody that makes fun of that stuff. It worked at first, but after a while...

Hot Fuzz I enjoyed pretty much all the way through.

Oct 27, 2017
That's such a bummer, I honestly love Hot Fuzz because it's very subtle with it's comedy. The jokes come and go like they aren't even jokes. I don't really find myself gut laughing at anything, just slightly chuckling to myself. It feels smart and subdued, which is what makes it feel like an honest classic instead of loud cringey reactionary comedy that's popular.

Knowing someone is being over the top about it like it's an annoying theater kid quoting Monty Python skits all day is a huge bummer, you got a very soured experience/expectation setup it seems.
Seeing Hellboy was a very similar experience so I hate that movie too haha.

Unfortunately there's nothing can be done at this point, I can't watch/enjoy them objectively. Oh well.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
It's honestly super close for me but Shaun of the Dead edges out Hot Fuzz just because I think the end joke of shooting old people goes on a bit long.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Fuzz is a better movie, even though Shaun of the Dead has more nostalgic value, I think.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am sure I have said this in a very similar thread before.

But Hot Fuzz is superior and infinitely more re-watchable.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Shaun of the Dead is funnier, but Hot Fuzz is overall better...still I prefer SotD for the laughs.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
SotD has a fantastic first half where it plays the parody perfectly and then once they get to the pub it just becomes generic zombie horror movie and falls apart IMO. Was just a weird tone shift I didn't like. Hot Fuzz is perfect and I love it.
The tone of the story follows shauns maturity almost to a T. As soon as he realizes his situation he's gotten himself and everyone else in, his mom dies and his friends start getting picked off the tone and his maturity has to shift to survive the situation/adulthood and he needs to grow up. That's how I've always read it.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Love both but Shawn just edges out Hot Fuzz Imo.

I also loved the other one where the town were aliens lol, dumb fun movie. (I forget it's name atm) looked it up, The World's End.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Just like parents don't have favourite children, I refuse to participate in this poll. And if you do, you're a terrible parent. THE WHOLE POINT OF THERE BEING THREE FLAVOURS IS SO WE HAVE DIFFERENCE AND VARIETY

source.gif

Also the World's End is underrated as fuck and anybody who disagrees, let's go, outside, now

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Both movies are great but in my opinion Hot Fuzz is the better written and more polished movie of the two

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Impossible choice. Hot Fuzz is funnier, but Shaun of the Dead does a better job of being a movie in its genre, if that makes any sense. Hot Fuzz is all over the place, for better and worse.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Shawn is great and all that, but Hot Fuzz is basically an absolutely perfect movie.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Hot Fuzz has better jokes and at no point in the movie it stops being funny.

On another note I've only watched The World's End once and remember liking it a lot. Gonna rewatch it soon.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This year I went into Hot Fuzz without knowing a thing about it and it was the best thing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I thought Shaun was just okay but Hot Fuzz is an all time classic.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
For everyone who loved Timothy Dalton in Hot Fuzz, you should really check him out as totally-not-immoral-Professor X in Doom Patrol.

Sometimes I randomly think of Hot Fuzz quotes and scenes and they cheer me up immensely.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017
It's Shaun of the Dead for me. People really talk up the foreshadowing in Hot Fuzz, but I swear I find every watch of Shaun a new tiny bit of foreshadowing every single time. The fact that Shaun says to the little shit co-worker "I know you don't want to be doing this for the rest of your life" and then at the end you see as a Zombie he's going to be stuck in the service industry in what will most likely be forever. Amazing.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm honestly surprised that Shaun of the Dead isn't winning. My vote went to Hot Fuzz as well, it's just I usually find that when this conversation comes up, Shaun of the Dead takes it in a walk. Both are great, but Hot Fuzz is just a cut above in my book. Helps that my wife isn't a fan of zombie stuff, so I don't really get to rewatch Shaun, while she agrees that Hot Fuzz is absolutely hilarious.