• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sword in the Stone or Robin Hood?

• Sword in the Stone

Votes: 89 43.8%
  • Robin Hood

Votes: 114 56.2%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which faux medieval classic Disney movie do you like better and why?

92930963-acaa-437d-bdf9-d6cd8b3fb608.jpeg

RobinHood01.jpg

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Sword & the Stone for me, and by quite a significant amount.

By the way, why no Black Cauldron?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sword in the Stone game us that weird-ass fanart of the female squirrel turned human that was really cute

so that

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Sword in the Stone is a great movie, but Robin Hood is one of my childhood favs.

PmGKFr2.gif

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Robin Hood.

That's not to say Sword in the Store is bad (it's not) but I watched a hell of a lot more Robin Hood as a kid and have fonder memories of it.

urNhRYU.gif

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
oooo this is a good question and one where I'll need to rewatch both to sufficiently answer

I have really nostalgic memories of Robin Hood though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason I remember being really disappointed with Robin Hood as a kid. Maybe because I had already watched the far superior Men in Tights. Or maybe its because I'm not a furry.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Sword in the stone is great until merlin btfo, making the ending pretty boring.
Robin Hood as boring parts here and there, but the festival and the climax are incredibly good parts.
I'm thorn...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sword in the Stone game us that weird-ass fanart of the female squirrel turned human that was really cute

so that
Do I dare ask for pics?

I prefer Sword in the Stone if only because I have a Pavlovian response to the opening of Robin Hood from my Disney instructor making us animate a dozen walk cycles for him.
tumblr_nraf6qOfLm1uulfx4o4_540.gif

tumblr_nraf6qOfLm1uulfx4o5_540.gif

tumblr_nraf6qOfLm1uulfx4o2_540.gif

tumblr_nraf6qOfLm1uulfx4o3_540.gif

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
These were two of my favorite movies growing up, but I'd go with Sword in the Stone I think. For a while, it was my favorite childhood movie and I watched it a ton. Loved Archimedes the owl.

There's certain tropes in these movies that have also stuck with me for a lifetime, like the idea of swimming in a lake and breathing through a reed to get oxygen. It's like this bizarre thing that sticks out in my head from when I was a kid, like the concept of quick sand.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I adore both movies but Robin Hood just wins.

Can't watch it without this scene standing out though:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Does Sword in the Stone have a scene where a snake puts a balloon on his head and flies around but then somebody stuffs him in a barrel and he gets really drunk? I thought not.

Oct 27, 2017
Sword in the Stone for sure, but both movies are heavily associated with family members that grew to be awful, awful people so that kinda sucks.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I own both on vhs. I remember a lot more about Robin Hoos than I do Sword in the Stone.

That said, when I trick someone by omitting information I still like to say "DID I SAY NO PURPLE DRAGONS?!"

Unfortunate that Madame Mim never caught on

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dislike both. Not a big fan of having my own culture Disneyfied and sold back to me. I don't think it's wrong. I just don't like it.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An unexpectedly good poll. Well done, OP.

Personally I give Sword in the Stone the, uh, edge. But Robin Hood is also a classic. Both of them have some rough edges, but I honestly feel that's part of their charm.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I am pretty surprised by how much love there is for The Sword and the Stone here. There are things to like about it(the magic duel) but as a whole it is such an inert little film, episodic in the worse way, and it just farts out an ending that feels like the film just throwing its hands up in defeat.

I'm not a particular fan of Robin Hood but at least it feels a like a complete idea was put to film.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Robin Hood, not even a contest. It's probably tied with Men In Tights as the best Robin Hood film of all time for me.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
They're no Great Mouse Detective, but still two of the best Disney movies.

I voted Robin Hood. I enjoyed Prince John, Sir Hiss, the Sheriff, and Little John is just Baloo. When has Baloo ever not been the best?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

so that

Ah yes Hazel, certainly one of the...weirder things fans got attached to.

Sword in the Stone fans: We can save King Arthur by making him a furry!

...granted Robin Hood is the other furry gateway movie so...

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I always preferred Robin Hood, though that's not a knock against Sword in the Stone. Both were enjoyable; I just thought RH was a lot more fun.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly like either one of them, but I'm going to go with Sword in the Stone. Both feel pretty boring, but in general I like the characterizations in Sword in the Stone more, aside from Merlin who's just bonkers for no reason. The characterization and writing in Robin Hood is just weak in general imo. Sword in the Stone's biggest mistake is that it's climax has nothing to do with the protagonist, and the fact that this somehow eluded the notice of the people working on it speaks to how nonchalant it's ending is. I can't even remember the ending of Robin Hood, and I saw them both at the same time. Nothing in that movie grabbed me in any way.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I pretty much know both by memory, but Sword in the Stone edges it out for me. There are just too many funny characters/moments. Madam Mim? LMAO