• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bobmonkey

Jan 19, 2021
Jeremy Saulnier has put together an impressive body of work.

Blue Ruin
Green Room
Hold the Dark

I haven't seen Murder Party but it's highly rated.

Hold the Dark would be the weakest, but it's still fantastic.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Miyazaki's had some tremendous highs with Porcco Rosso being one of the greatest animated films of all times but the last 3 films were pretty awful in particular I felt like Ponyo's entire cast was largely unlikable

I mean why does Ponyo's dad look and act like a meth addict?

E0WCN_YWEAEFyj0.jpg

I think the focus is on the kids and I REALLY must compliment Miyazaki for making a movie entirely out of a kid's perspective. I think he struck gold when it comes to true and impulsive hopes and fears of a kid's mind. I watched it when my daughter was 2 or 3 years old and I could relate both from a parent's perspective and my experiences with my daughter and her first steps into life. I think it's totally brilliant. Ponyo's dad is a kid himself.

Policy Chonk

Jul 9, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
I'd love to say Matt Reeves, but there's the problem of The Pallbearer, which is at such odds with the res tof his filmography, everything else he has done has been nothing short of incredible.

So I'll cheat and say Dan Trachtenberg muhahaha

10 Cloverfield Lane
Prey

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
While I would also nominate Martin Scorsese (but a quick review of his filmography is too big to list), let me get the obvious out of the way:

James Cameron
The Terminator
Aliens
The Abyss
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
True Lies
Titanic

My goodness. You gonna say True Lies is his worst film? I'd put that up against anyone listed here.
No, Piranha II is his worst

Oct 31, 2017
I have to catch up on Nolan's work because I haven't watched anything of his since Interstellar, and up through TDKR, I'd say his "weakest" was Following, which was such a cool small project of his.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong. True Lies is one of the best action movies ever made and a solid 9/10. That I consider it Cameron's 'worst' film speaks more to how consistently excellent his films are.

I'd put Avatar up there, to be honest as his worst. It's not a shit film(seeing at how much money it made), it's just super divisive.
but again, it's just me.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kubrick or Tarkovsky seem credible options.

Fairly short list of main films, all are highly critically appreciated and have lasting impact and neither has a weak film to their name really. Not sure about Tarkovsjy but Kubrick also has the interesting trait of really strong work where it was divisive initially almost always as it pushed past what many expected then they all became classic GOATs in their respective trilogy. Also with Paths of Glory, 2001, Clockwork Orange and Doctor Strangelove as his core "on fire" films I can't think of a single other director who could touch those for impact and how each is arguable the best in genre (yes still!).

Bergman is also obvious choice although he has much larger resume and I haven't seen it all so more chance there's something weaker in there.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Do streaming movies count or are those just really short TV shows?

Cary Fukunaga seems to be a real dirtbag but you could argue that his worst movie is at least still one of the stronger movies in the Bond franchise.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
Kubrick or Tarkovsky seem credible options.

Fairly short list of main films, all are highly critically appreciated and have lasting impact and neither has a weak film to their name really. Not sure about Tarkovsjy but Kubrick also has the interesting trait of really strong work where it was divisive initially almost always as it pushed past what many expected then they all became classic GOATs in their respective trilogy. Also with Paths of Glory, 2001, Clockwork Orange and Doctor Strangelove as his core "on fire" films I can't think of a single other director who could touch those for impact and how each is arguable the best in genre (yes still!).

Bergman is also obvious choice although he has much larger resume and I haven't seen it all so more chance there's something weaker in there.
Bergman has a fair number of bad ones. Mostly earlier films but some later too. All These Women is real bad. Not a single joke even approaching funny. With that amount of movies directed, it's impossible for all to be hits.

M3z_

Oct 30, 2017
I want to say Yorgos Lanthimos because he is my fav director, but I still haven't seen his debut(Kinetta) and it's horribly reviewed so I will go with Miyazaki, that just seems liked a bang on answer.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say Yorgos Lanthimos because he is my fav director, but I still haven't seen his debut(Kinetta) and it's horribly reviewed so I will go with Miyazaki, that just seems liked a bang on answer.
Haven't seen Kinetta either but I thought Alps wasn't that great. He's easily one of the best modern directors though.

Capt Sensib1e

Banned
Jun 4, 2022
I think it was Robert Altman who said of Kurosawa that most great artists have one or two masterpieces, Kurosawa had like eight.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My Top 5 for Miyazaki would be:
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle of Cagliostro
Princess Mononoke
Ponyo

I don't know what you all are smoking, thinking that Ponyo is his worst film.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen all of his movies so I can't say which is the worst, but Makoto Shinkai (Your Name) seems like it would work here. Even if you don't like a particular plot, every single one of his movies is entertaining purely based on the fact that they're all drop-dead gorgeous.

Also Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt through Time).

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I just wanna say I love the variety on some of these "worst" movie picks.

Brick as the worst Rian Johnson film?!
Howl's Moving Castle as the worst Miyazaki!?
Jackie Brown as the worst Tarantino?!

It's definitely a testament to the strength of these directors. Picking a weakest is hard when the creators are this good.

Ruddles

Oct 17, 2018
There's definitely a few out there that really didn't make a bad film (Kurosawa, Kubrick)

It's also interesting to think about it the other way. Hitchcock, Scorsese, both made the odd genuinely weak movie. Carpenter too if we're looking at genre directors. It's interesting how few of the landmark directors can say that they were truly great, even at their worst.

Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino doesn't count because Death Proof and Kill Bill just straight up suck, so his worst is pretty well below other directors' work.

Also I will not stand for this Howl's Moving Castle slander.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
There are some SPICY takes here and I love it.

There was a director I had in mind and was surprised that no one said him yet, but I'll throw his hat into the ring: John Hughes.

Sixteen Candles
The Breakfast Club
Weird Science
Ferris Beuller's Day Off
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
She's Having A Baby
Uncle Buck
Curly Sue

She's Having A Baby is probably his "weakest" film, but it was still enjoyable, so he's my pick. I love him. Was a good mold for my sense of humor in the 80's.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
There's definitely a few out there that really didn't make a bad film (Kurosawa, Kubrick)

It's also interesting to think about it the other way. Hitchcock, Scorsese, both made the odd genuinely weak movie. Carpenter too if we're looking at genre directors. It's interesting how few of the landmark directors can say that they were truly great, even at their worst.

Kurosawa was going to be my pick but then I remembered he apparently hated Shanshiro Sugata 2, and the first one already isn't supposed to be that great.

Looking at my favorites, anyone who would qualify I haven't seen their entire filmography yet so I can't speak to it (Rian Johnson) or they only have two films so far (Jennifer Kent).

I will add on Satoshi Kon counts, though the circumstances for it are a bit depressing due to him dying so young.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't seen all of his movies so I can't say which is the worst, but Makoto Shinkai (Your Name) seems like it would work here. Even if you don't like a particular plot, every single one of his movies is entertaining purely based on the fact that they're all drop-dead gorgeous.

Also Mamoru Hosoda (Summer Wars, The Girl Who Leapt through Time).
I am here for these kinds of takes.

They wouldn't be my picks.
But still worth it. Even Shinkai's worst looking movie, is still amazing looking.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the Coen brothers but intolerable cruelty and the lady killers are both pretty wack.

Nolan probably - I didn't love Dunkirk but it's still better than a lot of movies
One day the world will see what I do when it comes to Intolerable Cruelty.

But what about Martin McDonough?
In Bruges was perfection
Seven Psychopaths it's great, right?
Three Billboards is my least favorite of his, and it's the Academy Award winner

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I think Satoshi Kon's weakest film would be Paprika but it's better than Hayao Miyazaki's weakest which I think is Howl's Moving Castle. I think Paprika is probably even better than Makoto Shinkai's best.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Bergman has a fair number of bad ones. Mostly earlier films but some later too. All These Women is real bad. Not a single joke even approaching funny. With that amount of movies directed, it's impossible for all to be hits.
Yeah that's what I figured. I've seen his classics which are obviously great but I know he's got a very large number of films and work I haven't seen but laws of averages some had to be fairly weak or bad.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
It is Paul Thomas Anderson. His worst feature length? Maybe Hard Eight? But even then, it is a good film. especially for a debut. One middling film out of 9, with the other 8 ranging from classics to great.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally?

James Cameron is the most consistently good director so his worst is better than 90% of everyone else's best.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Granted I haven't seen Hard Eight, but PTA, QT and Cuaron immediately came to mind.
satoshi kon

would prolly consider tokyo godfathers great still
This is the best pick thus far I think, incredible lineup of movies.
My first pick of Kubrick and Arronofsky were taken already, so I'm going Spike Jonze.
Jonze is a pretty inspired pick, unfortunately he's only given us 4 movies in his long spanning career.
Yeah, tbh I haven't seen Hard Eight
Coen Brothers and Hail Caesar
Coens have a few movies much worse than hail Caesar.