• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which studio had the greatest peak?

• Nintendo

Votes: 268 35.9%
  • Rockstar

Votes: 69 9.2%
  • Valve

Votes: 67 9.0%
  • BioWare

Votes: 41 5.5%
  • Squaresoft

Votes: 131 17.6%
  • Blizzard

Votes: 105 14.1%
  • Other

Votes: 65 8.7%

• Total voters

-Axl-

Sep 29, 2020
Nintendo is stil in its prime and has been since Donkey Kong back in 1981. Over 40 years developing and publishing many of the greatest, most influential, best selling and most acclaimed games of all time.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
For my interests, it is definitely Bioware.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -> Jade Empire -> Mass Effect -> Dragon Age Origins -> Mass Effect 2

is a legendary run of some of the finest roleplaying games ever made. Not to mention you could expand the timeline to include additional titles that I adore, (Dragon Age II -> Mass Effect 3 -> Dragon Age Inquisition) or titles that were on PC prior to KotOR (Baldur's Gate -> Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn -> Neverwinter Nights)

It is a shame that they elected to chase the GAAS dollars with Anthem, and wasted so much development time during the creation of Mass Effect Andromeda (although that was Bioware Montreal)

It's interesting that for some BioWare's prime starts with KOTOR 1 while for me that's the last great game they made. Makes a thread like this interesting!

Going from KOTOR 1 to Mass Effect was a bit of a shock because I still expected BioWare to be in the RPG business but they had already moved towards the action hybrids. I like ME1 though, even if I remain utterly baffled by the creative decisions that have driven their games for the past 15 years or so since then. I blame Bono tbh

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
It's interesting that for some BioWare's prime starts with KOTOR 1 while for me that's the last great game they made. Makes a thread like this interesting!

Going from KOTOR 1 to Mass Effect was a bit of a shock because I still expected BioWare to be in the RPG business but they had already moved towards the action hybrids. I like ME1 though, even if I remain utterly baffled by the creative decisions that have driven their games for the past 15 years or so since then.
I was just around 8 or so when I first played KotOR so I had no exposure to the CRPG peak at the end of the 1990s (so missed out on BG during those years around release). Not to mention, I didn't have a computer for gaming so I was only able to experience their console titles from then on until I was much older.

I imagine that influences the determination of the peak for some gamers, at least it does for me.

OP
OP
Doug Dimmadome
Jan 20, 2022
I was just around 8 or so when I first played KotOR so I had no exposure to the CRPG peak at the end of the 1990s (so missed out on BG during those years around release). Not to mention, I didn't have a computer for gaming so I was only able to experience their console titles from then on until I was much older.

I imagine that influences the determination of the peak for some gamers, at least it does for me.
Yup, for my personal taste, BioWare reigns supreme. I've always enjoyed the more story driven RPG's they made instead of the immersive ones like BGS makes. I didn't play Baulder's Gate but even I am aware of that games legacy.

BGI & II, KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 2 is wild. Even Dragon Age 2, ME3 and Inquisition are games I really like, even if I recognize they aren't as good as what came before. I don't think they put out a straight dud until Andromeda (which still has some enjoyable parts) and then buried themselves with Anthem :(

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Squaresoft was an absolute juggernaut on PS1, people would buy any random ass game in a hyper-niche just because it had that logo on it. Those were the days

Kamiya-meha

Feb 25, 2022
Has to be the big N. Went back to BotW today after several years without playing and it's still the most incredible experience. I also own every Nintendo console dating back to the SNES so I'm biased.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Late SNES through late PSX was a developer unleashed in ways I don't think I've ever seen.

Maybe Falcom between Ys 1+2 Eternal and Crossbell?

Nintendo's run from mid-SNES to late 64?

From Software, generally?

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I voted Square because Nintendo never stopped peaking, whereas Square clearly peaked in the late 90s/early 2000s. They had great games before that, but they basically put the PS1 on their back. I don't even comprehend how they put out so many huge RPGs in such a short amount of time, not to mention branching out to other genres.

Nintendo has had like 8 or 9 peaks over the course of their existence, and the next is never too far off. They dip, but yeah.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
I don't quite understand how Nintendo is winning considering they fell out of innovative favour from the mid 90's until fairly recently. It makes me wonder, because the PlayStation really did a number on them, and while they survived respectably, it took them a long time to start competing with Sony and Microsoft.

Anyway, I can make a case for a few, but as far as modern games are concerned I think Squaresoft in the 90's has to take it because their influence is important and still felt today.

They set the gold standard for RPG's. While they weren't the only one, they were amongst the early studios who set out to prove games as a credible artistic medium, and to prove cinematic storytelling in games. They were also at the forefront of cutting edge, high fidelity graphics.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
80-90s Sega and mid 80s to mid 90s Capcom would probably be above quite a few of these.

I don't quite understand how Nintendo is winning considering they fell out of innovative favour from the mid 90's until fairly recently.

Innovation isn't the end all be all. using the sports analogy in the OP, it's not always about the most innovative offense or defense, it's who executes the best.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I don't quite understand how Nintendo is winning considering they fell out of innovative favour from the mid 90's until fairly recently.
I don't know, I'd say there was a period of inconsistency until the Switch. The Nintendo Wii was an incredibly innovative device, and brought console gaming to different types of people (many for the first time ever.)

Not to mention what they did with handhelds

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
80-90s Sega and mid 80s to mid 90s Capcom would probably be above quite a few of these.

Innovation isn't the end all be all. using the sports analogy in the OP, it's not always about the most innovative offense or defense, it's who executes the best.

I don't know, I'd say there was a period of inconsistency until the Switch. The Nintendo Wii was an incredibly innovative device, and brought console gaming to different types of people (many for the first time ever.)

I clarified my post in an edit. What I mean is, Nintendo were top dog for a long time, then the PlayStation came along and it really did a number on them. The dip in their market share was quite severe, and the N64 didn't compete well against Sony. Then when MS came onto the scene too, they had a lot of misses while attempting to compete with them and couldn't get themselves alongside them. The 2000's were very much defined by Sony and Microsoft.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I clarified my post in an edit. What I mean is, Nintendo were top dog for a long time, then the PlayStation came along and it really did a number on them. The dip in their market share was quite severe, and the N64 didn't compete well against Sony. Then when MS came onto the scene too, they had a lot of misses while attempting to compete with them and couldn't get themselves alongside them. The 2000's were very much defined by Sony and Microsoft.

Sure but even with N64 Nintendo put out Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, etc.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo, followed by Square. Though square would be my favorite.

Square's star lineup from 1990 to 2001:

• Final Fantasy 3 (1990)
  • Final Fantasy 4 (1991)
  • Final Fantasy 5 (1992)
  • Secret of Mana (1993)
  • Final Fantasy 6 (1994)
  • Chrono Trigger (1995)
  • Trial of Mana (1995)
  • Secret of Evermore (1995)
  • Super Mario RPG (1996)
  • Final Fantasy 7 (1997)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (1997)
  • Xenogears (1998)
  • Parasite Eve (1998)
  • Final Fantasy 8 (1999)
  • Chrono Cross (1999)
  • Vagrant Story (2000)
  • Final Fantasy 9 (2000)
  • Final Fantasy 10 (2001)

Look at this list. They released even more games than that too; that's just the big stuff that I'm familiar with. It doesn't even count the Saga and Front Mission games, Live A Live or a bunch of other stuff.

Goddamn. I'm tempted to switch my vote to Square lol.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Sure but even with N64 Nintendo put out Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Super Mario 64, Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, etc.

I didn't say they were irrelevant, but they weren't keeping up with Sony and Nintendo until around the PS360 era.

I mean...

• Final Fantasy 3 (1990)
  • Final Fantasy 4 (1991)
  • Final Fantasy 5 (1992)
  • Secret of Mana (1993)
  • Final Fantasy 6 (1994)*
  • Chrono Trigger (1995)*
  • Trial of Mana (1995)
  • Super Mario RPG (1996)
  • Final Fantasy 7 (1997)*
  • Xenogears (1998)*
  • Parasite Eve (1998)
  • Final Fantasy 8 (1999)
  • Chrono Cross (1999)
  • Vagrant Story (2000)
  • Final Fantasy 9 (2000)

Look at this list. They released even more games than that too; that's just the big stuff that I'm familiar with. It doesn't even count the Saga and Front Mission games, Live A Live or a bunch of other stuff.

^ This.

The BIB's alone are mainstays in "greatest games of all time" lists, and I'm being conservative about them. The 4 I put *'s next to are largely considered to be watershed moment games that have defined the industry.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say they were irrelevant, but they weren't keeping up with Sony and Nintendo until around the PS360 era.

I mean...

^ This.

The BIB's alone are mainstays in "greatest games of all time" lists, and I'm being conservative about them. The 4 I put *'s next to are largely considered to be watershed moment games that have defined the industry.

Sony and their first party output was never really their strongsuit. Microsoft, too. Though I'm also not arguing Nintendo is the choice, I'd probably choose Sega, AM2 and Yu Suzuki.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021

PlayStation as a platform dominated in the late 90s/early 2000s, but that was largely driven by 3rd party. I can't imagine anyone thinking Sony's 1st party output matched or exceeded Nintendo's during those eras. The success of their respective platforms isn't really relevant to this thread.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Sony and their first party output was never really their strongsuit. Microsoft, too. Though I'm also not arguing Nintendo is the choice, I'd probably choose Sega, AM2 and Yu Suzuki.

PlayStation as a platform dominated in the late 90s/early 2000s, but that was largely driven by 3rd party. I can't imagine anyone thinking Sony's 1st party output matched or exceeded Nintendo's during those eras. The success of their respective platforms isn't really relevant to this thread.

But certain IP's were Sony aligned at that time, like Squaresoft IP's. Even so, I don't think Nintendo were keeping up with the likes of Squaresoft, it really was their era through the PS1 and PS2 generations.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
But certain IP's were Sony aligned at that time, like Squaresoft IP's. Even so, I don't think Nintendo were keeping up with the likes of Squaresoft, it really was their era through the PS1 and PS2 generations.

Yeah, this thread is mostly just about who developed the games rather than who published and such. Like I wouldn't count Pokemon for Nintendo, nor F-Zero GX.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo easy. They've been doing this shit for almost 40 years and still have pretty consistent quality.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Yeah, this thread is mostly just about who developed the games rather than who published and such. Like I wouldn't count Pokemon for Nintendo, nor F-Zero GX.

No, of course not. But, Nintendo as a company was in decline during that era not at its peak. The point about Sony wasn't that they released better content in house or to say its Sony who had the greatest prime, but that the platforms almost wiped Nintendo and Sega off the map. Nintendo struggled to compete, and Nintendos content broadly became more erratic as a result. I don't think the platform nor their studio output were at any kind of a peak during the late 90's and 00's.

If I compare Nintendos game output through that era, they don't even come close to Squaresoft.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
People really need to be more specific when doing these best studio polls. Like which Nintendo and Rockstar studio are you referring to?

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

• Final Fantasy 3 (1990)
  • Final Fantasy 4 (1991)
  • Final Fantasy 5 (1992)
  • Secret of Mana (1993)
  • Final Fantasy 6 (1994)
  • Chrono Trigger (1995)
  • Trial of Mana (1995)
  • Super Mario RPG (1996)
  • Final Fantasy 7 (1997)
  • Xenogears (1998)
  • Parasite Eve (1998)
  • Final Fantasy 8 (1999)
  • Chrono Cross (1999)
  • Vagrant Story (2000)
  • Final Fantasy 9 (2000)

Square definitely killed it. The only argument against them is (relative) versatility but then that charge could be launched at a number of other great contenders. Even in the JRPG genre they managed to vary things quite a bit.

Just an awesome run.

Oct 26, 2017
You can't have this thread and not have Rare. Their 1994 to 2000 run (give or take a year) is probably unrivalled for a single development studio.
I was going to say this, Rare are a massive omission form this list. They outdid Nintendo on their own console in many's eyes.

On the list I'd say Squaresoft, they were absolutely off the chain in terms quality, originality and sheer volume of their output from the latter years of the SNES all the way through to the Playstation's twilight years.

And that's a Mega Drive/Saturn kid speaking.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
Konami with all the Castlevania - Winning eleven/PES - Silent Hill - MGS games, nothing tops this.

second place Blizzard.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
For a developer with a clear period of peak existence I'm leaning towards Looking Glass. A string of incredibly influential and well received GOAT contenders.
This is a legitimate pick. The light shone only for a moment, but it was a damn supernova.

All of LG's best games are no worse than Top 5 all time in their respective genres.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
No, of course not. But, Nintendo as a company was in decline during that era not at its peak. The point about Sony wasn't that they released better content in house or to say its Sony who had the greatest prime, but that the platforms almost wiped Nintendo and Sega off the map and Nintendos content broadly became more erratic until recently.

This is a really thin thesis, and ignores important context for why Nintendo's home console platforms waned in popularity during that period. It had little to nothing to do with their 1st party output, which remained extraordinarily successful.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I feel like Rare deserves an honorable mention here, their run starting on the NES and and up to the xbox 360 was excellent.

- Battletoads
- Donkey Kong Country
- Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run
- Killer Instinct
- Goldeneye
- Blast Corps
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Banjo-Kazooie
- Jet Force Gemini
- Perfect Dark
- Conker
- Kameo
- Viva Pinata

Success

Oct 27, 2017
This would have been a much better pool without Nintendo. Nintendo has the NES and SNES which essentially guarantees that it will get the most votes.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what Nintendo's peak is. They are pretty consistently great with their software.

I voted Square because Squaresoft in the late 90s was absolutely insane. Instant classics released within months of each other. And they kept that up for several years.

Oct 25, 2017

• Final Fantasy 3 (1990)
  • Final Fantasy 4 (1991)
  • Final Fantasy 5 (1992)
  • Secret of Mana (1993)
  • Final Fantasy 6 (1994)
  • Chrono Trigger (1995)
  • Trial of Mana (1995)
  • Super Mario RPG (1996)
  • Final Fantasy 7 (1997)
  • Xenogears (1998)
  • Parasite Eve (1998)
  • Final Fantasy 8 (1999)
  • Chrono Cross (1999)
  • Vagrant Story (2000)
  • Final Fantasy 9 (2000)

Actually, let's extend that list up a year to 2002 and you get Kingdom Hearts 1 on there too. Another bonafide classic from Squaresoft!

Speaking of which, yeah, the greatest prime? It's Squaresoft. Banger after banger after banger after banger after banger.

Plus Nintendo kind of has an unfair advantage in the poll for not really having a singular peak and more just consistently great output of games over many, many, many years.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
Treasure from 1993 to 2009 was pretty insane, too.

Nintendo was never not good, but I don't think it's been a consistent peak for 40 years. Wii-era Nintendo was good, but their games were over tutorialized and sprinkled with bits of mind-numbing busywork that didn't exist before or after.

(Mind you, I don't think any developer has been at their absolute best for 30-40 years: some, like Namco, just didn't stop making good games even if they didn't reach their previous peaks.)

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Nintendo. Come on.

Hell, even just 1996-1998 Nintendo is crazy by prime standards:

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Goldeneye 007
Banjo-Kazooie
Link's Awakening DX
Ocarina of Time
Mario Party

OP
OP
Doug Dimmadome
Jan 20, 2022
Capcom? Namco? Konami? Yer list is faulty sir.
As I said, my taste have traditionally guided me towards western developers. Combined with only being born in the mid 90's, I missed a lot of these classic games from Square/Konami/CapCom. However this thread has been very enlightening and I'm learning a lot about video game history

This is a legitimate pick. The light shone only for a moment, but it was a damn supernova.

All of LG's best games are no worse than Top 5 all time in their respective genres.

I am quoting this for no other reason than to keep it in the conversation. Looking at the games Looking Glass made is insane to me. These were before my time, yet I've heard of every single one of these games and know the weight they carry. To know they all came from the same studio is kind of wrecking me

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Squaresoft in its prime (SNES and PS1) was the greatest amalgamation of video game talent to have ever existed. Probably the longest and most prolific streak of groundbreaking and generation defining games from any one developer.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
NES/SNES era Capcom might be my favorite period for any developer, but Nintendo pretty much just kept putting out winners for decades. I'd say they had some rough spots (late N64, bit during GCN, but during Wii U) but I'm sure if I looked at the release schedular I'd see a GOAT hanging out in those rough spots too.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's either Blizzard or Rockstar for me. They seem to have this ability to capture lightning in a bottle during their development stages. And to some degree they still do.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I said, my taste have traditionally guided me towards western developers. Combined with only being born in the mid 90's, I missed a lot of these classic games from Square/Konami/CapCom. However this thread has been very enlightening and I'm learning a lot about video game history

I am quoting this for no other reason than to keep it in the conversation. Looking at the games Looking Glass made is insane to me. These were before my time, yet I've heard of every single one of these games and know the weight they carry. To know they all came from the same studio is kind of wrecking me
I'm sure it's overwhelming being late to most of the pre-2000s party but it's always nice to see someone wanting to learn more about stuff before their time. You might be surprised at the shear amount and variety of good games Sega made, not to mention all those other developers people listed.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Valve was just out of this world there for a while with the HL2 games, TF2, the L4Ds, the Portals, Dota 2, CSGO. Absolutely absurd lineup. And then they just stopped caring about making games, so depressing.