• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Which cut of the movie Alexander is the best cut?

175 minutes - Theatrical Cut (2004)
167 minutes - Director's Cut (2005)
214 minutes - Alexander Revisited: The Final Unrated Cut (2007)
206 minutes - Alexander the Ultimate Cut [Tenth Anniversary Edition] (2014)

What are the major differences between the cuts? Is there a consensus as to if Oliver Stone ever managed to edit together a good/great movie?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
halloween: the curse of michael myers: the producers cut

(ive never seen alexander)

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
god-hand-baddy_400x400.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there was another cut after the (I guess now not anymore) Final Cut. But of the original three, the unrated final cut is by far the best. Story beats aren't just mentioned and dropped and the scenes put back in really help the flow of the film so much.

The film is still unsalvageable and utter train wreck though. But the soundtrack by Vangelis is absolute godtier and most of the work is in that cut. Though not all...

Side note, I'm still angry at Sony for not releasing the entire soundtrack to this day. Vangelis has said he delivered at least two full CD's worth of music, but Sony just have us the bare minimum.

Didn't Oliver Stone's director's cut remove the homoerotic scenes cause they made his teenage son embarrassed?
I vaguely remember hearing something like that.

There's a lot of unsubtle subtext to Alexander and Hephaestion, that they're trying to show there was more between the two is obvious. But they had no problems showing Alexander go into bed with, I think it was, his servant. Yet his relation with Hephaestion is kind of shoved aside and what we do see is just two close friends with a hell of a lot of subtext smeared over it. It's such an odd depiction considering the film has no provlem showing him with another man and having... I can only describe it as bellow and snarling sex?

Is the movie even good?

I can honestly say, no. There's a lot of good in the film, but the final product is a mess and I don't know who to blame. Example of what I mean, many scenes show Alexander learning and growing during his childhood and that's all really well done with real historical characters and accurate information. And thent there'sa sex scene between Alexander and his just become new wife, which comes down to them bellowing, snarling, hissing and... Lord knows what else, it's the weirdest sex scene I've ever seen in film and I have no idea what the thought process behind any of that was.

Last edited:

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Man, I watched this in the teaters when it came out and remember absolutely nothing of it. Might have to rewatch sometime.

May 24, 2019
Didn't Oliver Stone's director's cut remove the homoerotic scenes cause they made his teenage son embarrassed?
I vaguely remember hearing something like that.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The movie had 2 decent battles but it was a mess. Between the scene chewing acting and the faux homoeroticism it was a joke. Like Colin and Jared were to the point of fucking in every scene together but never did anything on camera, but they had Alexander sleep with a Persian guy. So they were fine to show him sleep with a guy but not with the one whose supposed to be the love of his life?

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the one you don't watch because the movie is a mess in all forms. I never saw the latest one, but the 2007 one was the least worst of the three.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alexander and his just become new wife, which comes down to them bellowing, snarling, hissing and... Lord knows what else, it's the weirdest sex scene I've ever seen in film and I have no idea what the thought process behind any of that was.

it's almost as weird and bad as the Showgirls pool scene.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
love me some historic epics and whatnot but i've started alexander thrice and haven't yet completed a full viewing.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Never saw the movie, but I wanted to after listening to Dan Carlin's latest Hardcore History Addendum about Alexander's mother, Olympias. Guess I shouldn't bother. Dan even mentioned the movie not being very good.