• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which current gen Assassin's Creed did you enjoy the most?

• Assassin's Creed Unity (2014)

Votes: 128 17.0%
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate (2015)

Votes: 113 15.0%
  • Assassin's Creed Origins (2017)

Votes: 276 36.6%
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey (2018)

Votes: 327 43.4%

• Total voters

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Unity had an amazing world and its the last of the old guard to me. I really miss the cities and tall buildings.

Odyssey's map does nothing for me. I got enough of it in origins.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
1. Odyssey
2. Origins
3. Unity
4. Syndicate

I played Unity on PC after it had been patched up so I didn't really encounter the launch issues. In it's current state I think it's an underrated part of the franchise.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey is the only one on the list I've enjoyed but Black Flag is the best one this gen by far.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
I voted for Odyssey. I have put in about 100 hours so far. Kassandra is an excellent character.

I really liked all the games in the poll but I can't remember much about Unity (I did beat it).

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Probably Odyssey with the caveat that I enjoyed Origin's story a lot more than Odyssey.

Odyssey's main story is probably just the single weakest aspect of the game for me. Everything else was fantastic.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I haven't played Odyssey yet, but Origins is probably one of my favourite games this gen, so I voted for that.

Of the other two, I really liked Unity, and didn't much like Syndicate (despite the fact that I had been itching for an AC set in London since the second game)

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Black flag was my favorite one.

But i'd say odyssey was my fav this gen.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Been on a bit of an AC kick this year and have spent a bunch of time with all the games listed. Origins I played to completion and enjoyed, Unity I'm playing through now and surprised at how much I'm enjoying it as a contrast after ignoring it for years. Beautiful game.

I'm indifferent towards Syndicate and I'm not really feeling my time with Odyssey after Origins, it's well made but agree with the common complaints that come up.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Unity.

Odyssey is fantastic, but I hate having to grind levels. Just let me play whatever mission I want.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Syndicate was the only Assassin's Creed I couldn't get through let alone not be able to put down

Andrain18

Apr 19, 2018
Orange County CA
thinking about this has kind of created an Enigma.... I loved Unity. While not perfect by any means, i really enjoyed it. But it's also the last Assassins Creed game i played. So did it ruin the franchise for me?

Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of problems with Syndicate — it was the first game to introduce the level gating we have in the series today — but I thought it did a decent job at making me like the main characters and giving the assassinating some weight. It carries a lot on its shoulder being the last of the good Assassin's Creed games, with the inclusion of optional objectives and letting me kill people that I stealth kill.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I've played all of them but the only one I finished is Oddysey.
Opposite for me. But I think its cuz I got the Origins-Odyssey bundle and sunk 60 or so hours into Origins and then played Odyssey right after. I was feeling some major AC burnout. Origins was my favorite in the franchise so far. Maybe Ill finish it one day.

Once I hit a wall where I couldn't advance the story until I leveled up a few times grinding out a bunch of side missions in Odyssey, I just got fed up and quit. Such an insanely beautiful game though.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to rank honestly. Having played them all they still don't hold a candle to the previous games (not to sound super sour, I just loved the old ones, even 3). The Witcherfication of the games sucks because, I love the Witcher 3, and it just does everything better. And combatwise, the RPG mechanics in Origins and Odyssey aren't very good imo. Black Flag is the last time I really had a good time in an AC game, and even that's hard to go back to because of the horrible modern day first person stuff. I think at this point the franchise just isn't what I want to play anymore. And that sucks because you don't get these amazing historical settings in other games.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Origins by far. I wanted to like odyssey but it was such a bloated game I gave up. Kassandra was great though.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
Unity. Even though it was kind of a bad game overall, it felt the most like an actual Assassin's Creed game to me. I liked the larger scale of the city and the updated traversal mechanics.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I loved Origins but Syndicate was probably my favorite. I still prefer the dense cities of the older games to the vast open worlds of the newer ones, and the traversal was absolutely fun as hell (even if it did completely trivialize climbing compared to earlier entries).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I have played a little of Unity, a lot of Syndicate but did not beat, about 20 hours of Origins, and I beat Odyssey at 150 hours (whew).
It's either Origins or Odyssey and while I can't yet say for SURE, I think Origin will be it due to Egypt being my favorite setting in the entire
series, and it sharing enough DNA of Odyssey that it's similar if less refined. Honestly if you like open world games and don't mind some uhhh repitition, I overall had a lot of fun with Odyssey and am feeling the same way with Origins so far.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
1. Assassin's Creed Origins - Beautifully constructed open world that's almost entirely accessible by horse, camel, or foot. The gameplay and progression are the smoothest in the series, and it has minimal naval combat. Origins is the Assassin's Creed I have the least amount of complaints about after investing 100 hours into the base game + DLC.
2. Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Has many of the same pros as Origins, and is improved in several big ways (side quests for sure), but it's definitely a lot more grindy, combat has extremely jarring difficulty spikes (especially when enemies use fire weapons), and the game forces the Adrestia on me more than I ever cared to mess around with. I would describe it as a well-baked Origins with a few unsavory ingredients.
3. Assassin's Creed Unity - Love this game too death; Arno is my favorite protagonist in the series, and between the Murder Mysteries and Helix Rifts, Unity is probably my favorite in terms of side content (AC3 is close). The open world is super detailed with seamless interior transitions, and the best designed city for parkour. I also loved the co-op and Dead Kings DLC. A game like Unity designed around the CPUs and SSDs of the next gen consoles would be spectacular.
4. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Definitely my least favorite of the bunch, but it's not a bad game by any means. My biggest problems with it are how the repetitious gang warfare stuff is so heavily integrated with the open world, the punchy combat system, and the dour visuals compared to Unity.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Odyssey > Syndicate > Origins > Unity for me.

I loved the writing on Odyssey and the whole entire character of Kassandra, who I thought was wonderfully written for most of the game. Fuck that choice the DLC makes for you though, it undid an entire game's worth of character agency and choice to shoehorn in the dumbest storyline they could have written a different way.

I loved the setting for Syndicate and I also liked the Frye siblings, most notably Evie. I also liked that it had the older style of gameplay the franchise was known for but refined near perfectly (at least in my opinion).

The setting and writing of Origins kind of caused me to bounce off of it but I've been meaning to go back and play it before Valhalla. I have no doubt that it is good and will be an enjoyable game, but I feel that the initial bounce off hurt its overall rating for me. It could also be that I tried to play it right after Syndicate and the abrupt change caused me to deflect from the game harder had I not done that.

Unity, to me, is a pretty game with very little else redeeming it.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I've only played Odyssey & Unity but out of those two, Odyssey. The game is awesome from start to finish & the Fate of Atlantis DLC is amazing. My only issue with the game is the leveling system.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Origins is the only one who grabbed my interest long enough so that i could finish it.

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
Here's the thing. I was never a big fan of Assassins Creed games. I liked them enough (such as Black Flag and Syndicate) but ultimately I was never that into them. That changed with Origins and was further reinforced by Odyssey, which is my favourite.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Odyssey was the first of the newer games I played. Wasn't a fan at first, but I'm at almost 200 hours trying to finish the Atlantis DLC now and it made me want to get Origins which I also love so far. The last one I played and enjoyed before this was 2 which was cool but I didn't love it as much as these.

Temujin

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
1. Odyssey
2. Origins
3. Unity
4. Syndicate

Syndicate is also the only one I didn't finish out of those four. Maybe I got tired of the formula at the time, but the game felt so boring to me.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't played Odyssey yet, but I absolutely loved Syndicate. Went in with little expectations, and enjoyed pretty much everything about it enough to platinum the game. The characters are good, it's not very serious, the soundtrack is great and it's a joy to roam around London. Such a great game. I wish we could get Syndicate 2.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
as a latecomer to the series i thought Origins/Odyssey was fantastic with Unity/Syndicate being mostly a chore.

i "get it", you've followed a franchise based on stealth for years and don't want a bunch of open world pseudo-witcher 3 crap thrown at you but i had fun with one thing and not another

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I prefer the classic gameplay, I do not really want an rpg on AC, however I loved Odyssey. So in order of preference:

Unity > Odyssey > Syndicate

I haven't played Origin yet.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Easily Odyssey. I loved Kassandra and the whole Greek world.

I couldn't get into Origins quite as easily. Nor Syndicate.

Unity was drop dead gorgeous, but man did that game suck to play.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
I've enjoyed all the games in the series, even Unity. But Origins holds a special place as i played and beat the game with my newborn baby girl wrapped up to my chest as she slept.

Nice one, I remember going through the Old roads endless dungeon of Dragon Age: Origin, only pausing to give the bottle or change the diapers of my baby daughter as if it were yesterday.

Also: Kassandra is best ever, think I could not have played more than 5 hours as Alexios...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Origins refreshed the series, so I'll give it to that. I was completely done with AC after Unity - didn't even bother playing Syndicate. Unity was just a shitshow of the worst tendencies of Ubisoft's open worlds at that time, though it did have nice visuals and crowd tech (at the expense of unstable performance). Odyssey was fine, but it just built directly on what Origins started, and was also just way too much... stuff.

The stories in all of the games don't interest me very much (so done with the trite historical tourism aspect of these games, where you happen to rub shoulders with literally anyone of consequence from that period and place), but Origins turned the series' combat into more than just standing there waiting to counter-kill each enemy.

I'll be honest - I'm sorta tired of Assassin's Creed again. Valhalla is going to have to either be too gorgeous to ignore, or bring some more big changes to the series, to get my attention. I'd like to see Ubisoft create worlds that feel complex and "real", instead of like glorified jungle gyms. Hopefully the next-gen CPU upgrade allows them to do this.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've only played Origins out of those four, but given what I've heard, I'm surprised by Unity being ahead or on par with Syndicate in terms of votes.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Unity was beautiful and played really well; didn't care how the story ended though. Might not play it again for a long time.

Syndicate was awesome. Gameplay, visuals, and I loved Evie, whom I played the majority of the time - Jacob was kind of a whiny turd so I only played him when the mission called for it. And loved the zip line. Best action since Ezio Trilogy.

Origins is amazing. Ancient Egypt is a great setting for AC. I really enjoyed the story too and the leveling system was a little frustrating for the first time in an AC game like this but I got used to it and enjoyed it.
The combat style was fun too.
I've completed 179 of the missions and I think I've 100% it ... not sure but I don't see any more "uncomplete" locations any more.

Odyssey is one I'll tackle after summer - probably when Viking time comes around.
I played it on the free weekend a while back and it justifiably slapped me and told me to upgrade my video card.

So of the 3:

3. Unity
2. Origins
1. Syndicate

If Aya was a more likable and a bit more powerful, it would have made Origins #1 but Syndicate's gameplay plus Evie being a real badass pushed it to my #1.
Looking forward to playing Odyssey as I heard both characters are pretty good.