• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best stable of IP

• Nintendo

Votes: 1,665 70.1%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 66 2.8%
  • Sony

Votes: 549 23.1%
  • Ouya

Votes: 94 4.0%

• Total voters

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, way more votes than replies. But the answer is obvious.

Sony's done a great job with their IPs, right from the start with the PS1. You really couldn't expect more.

And yet, they're still a very distant 2nd place to Nintendo. Nintendo is the beating heart of videogames.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I think Nintendo has the best stable of IPs because all of their IP can be used across multiple genres aside from their original.

For example Mario has been a 2D/3D platformer, RPG, Racing.You can make any type of racing game with F-Zero and Starfox IP. Metroid can be used as a FPS. The versatility of their IP is just unmatched

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Wow, way more votes than replies. But the answer is obvious.

Sony's done a great job with their IPs, right from the start with the PS1. You really couldn't expect more.

And yet, they're still a very distant 2nd place to Nintendo. Nintendo is the beating heart of videogames.
Eh IDK about that anymore. They are the beating heart of original designs and icons for sure. Of videogames entirely? Shit, that's getting crazy. I would argue F2p trash and loot boxes are now the beating heart of videogames from a corporate standpoint. Otherwise, I go with Sony for sheer creativity in their IPs, though, as we have seen that might be lessening a tad at times.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nintendo no contest. Sony is second place and Microsoft distant third ( I mean they have a lot of IPs but they do pretty much fuck all with them).

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Nintendo and it's not even close, objectively speaking.

They're not even milking their IP for all its worth like Disney is doing. I still think if Nintendo started expanding into other fields besides video games they would be immensely successful.

Hell, they probably have the most well known IP/Universe/Mascots after Disney.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
For me, it's Sony, but it's really hard to argue against Nintendo without personal preferences. Only they can single handily hold up a platform with their I.Ps.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a non question when it comes to ip worth

Objectivly it is Nintendo

And it is not even CLOSE to the second place

Sony (God of war, Uncharted, Tlou, Horizon eyc) comes second but frankly they are not THAT far ahead of Microsoft imo after the last years buyouts (Halo, Gears, Forza, Fable, Sea of thieves, Banjo, Psychonauts etc)

score01

Oct 27, 2017
It's not really a contest. Nintendo by a country mile, followed by Sony and then Microsoft.

Nintendo drives a majority of their hardware sales based on their IP.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo have churned out high quality titles focused on a small number of IPs forever so it's them easily.

Personally I prefer Sony's exclusives but they tend to focus on new IPs as much as old ones, they don't have a Mario or a Zelda.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
I voted Sony because they have the most IPs that are appealing to me and they are the obvious choice for me for the next console. They are also better than Nintendo is that they are more often creating something new while Nintendo keeps releasing the same things mostly (granted that they sometimes change the formula like Zelda).
I understand that Nintendo has a lot of IPs that are loved but for me there are just 2 or 3 that I really miss. MS is just Forza Horizon for me so they are reeeeeeeeeally far behind Sony and Nintendo.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Gotta be honest. I have no interest in Mario, Zelda, Halo, and whatever Sony puts out. There are only a few third parties that put out games that seem to interest me. And that gets smaller and smaller each gen.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
depends what you mean by best.

most successful? obviously Nintendo

ones I enjoy the most? Sony

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Sony has some great IP and that's why I will always pick up a Sony console but the answer is Nintendo and it's not even close.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
For my preference: Sony because Ratchet & Clank.

Sega should be an option (then that would be my choice).

Nintendo is too much of an obvious choice! But outside of the juggernauts Mario and Zelda I really don't give a shit about their other IPs.

Microsoft is underrated when you also consider the wealth of classic IP they own, especially the Rare stuff. But even Microsoft seems to have forgotten about most of their IPs so it's no surprise others would too. Minecraft is bigger than any Sony IP.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Its like asking which has the best cinematic universe. Nintendo being MCU, Sony being DCEU and Microsoft being Fox Marvel

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
It is such a shame what happened to Microsoft. Around 2011 their IP was bigger and better than anything Sony had by quite a bit. They pushed everything into Kinect/TV, their IP stagnated and they didn't and still have not created anything new. Since then Sony has created some excellent new IP and refocused some of its IP/Studios.

Oh and it's Nintendo by the way.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Sony, most ips i enjoy, not even close.

Nintendo has the strongest ips without doubt but apart from 2d mario, kart and sometimes zelda i dont give a damn about other ips.

Heck i could put ms above N since i really like halo, forza and gears.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Obviously Ouya. Towerfall: Ascension is one of the best exclusive ever released. Even now, if you buy a Switch and want to play a local multiplayer game, you should buy it.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Is almost voted Ouya. /s
Sad thing is: Ouya got more votes than Microsoft...

Real talk:
Nintendo. Nintendoes what the others don't. For a lot of years I didn't have a Nintendo console because I was one of these stupid persons pushing the games away by saying "child games" - gosh was I wrong. Nintendo IS videogames. Whatever they do in their IPs usually is unique and just sooo much fund and the defintion of what a game is. While other publishers move towards a more realistic approach (either gameplay or graphic wise), which is fine, Nintendo stays true to themselves and keeps surprising with great gaming concepts. I do like the games on Sony and MS system but there always is something special about a new Legend of Zelda or Super Mario game, it's not just a game somehow. It is hard to put in words but Nintendo games are somewhat special.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not interested in Nintendo IPs no more and haven't been for over 10 years.

Sony takes this for me as it's such a diverse IP portfolio with so many different characters, world's, stories, game styles etc

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm not interested in Nintendo IPs no more and haven't been for over 10 years.

Sony takes this for me as it's such a diverse IP portfolio with so many different characters, world's, stories, game styles etc

I feel like personal preference isn't supposed to be included here....even though I'd still go with Nintendo.

But yeah business and quality and everything included it's Nintendo by a gap that's absolutely huge.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Nintendo has been on the industry for many more years and their portfolio each generation consists of the same franchises for the most part (which is not easy to do). They also benefit from being a Japanese company, where it's less likely a developer will leave their company, so in many cases they still have the original creators working with them even after decades from the original game.

Sony has no idea how to handle IPs long-term, and as soon as they give one to a studio that's not the original creators the results are mediocre.

Microsoft is basically starting from scratch again after throwing away all the work they did thanks to Mattrick.

So yeah. it's pretty obvious it's Nintendo even if I personally don't enjoy their games.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Nintendo and it's not even close. Just look at Smash to see the catalog of all their IPs crammed into one game. Another point is that their IPs are timeless. How old is Mario now?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Samus Returns released two years ago though.

You can't remember less than two years?

You can tell a truth even saying a lie. The idea is that Metroid have a limited output of games compared to the other IPs. I mean, if we choose to forget Samus Returns (which I thought was fantastic by the way) and AM2R (which is fan made) then we have go back to 2010 for the latest Metroid game, and 2007 for the latest good one.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Nintendo, with Sony very close behind them.

Nintendo is better a leveraging their older titles and Sony is better at coming up with new ones.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
Someone post a compete list, I'd go shot for shot and I bet you Sony has more IPs at the end then Nintendo that I value.

It's a weird question because you need to ignore developers but the last 10 years Sony's developers have catapulted the IPs to what they are now.

I can only think of 3-4 Nintendo IPs I care about, Sony is at least triple that.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is da king. They're practically in a tier of their own. Then there's a big ol gap. And then there's... can't really tell because they're too far back on the other side of said gap.