• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Best funbox to unbox

• PS5

Votes: 25 4.3%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 464 80.3%
  • PS4

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Xbox One

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Nintendo Switch

Votes: 58 10.0%
  • PS3

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 14 2.4%

• Total voters

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
This is just a thread to discuss one of the most superfluous when it comes to consoles. The part when you just unbox it. But i can be a fun topic anyway i think.

A versus unboxing of the 2 most recent high end consoles.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Not a PS5. Packaging felt weirdly cheat and you just can so easily rip the box to shreds by accident.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't buy one, but the Series X definitely had a much better presentation than the PS5.

LNBL

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Series X, had that premium packaging i'd expect for a €500 machine.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I thought the Series X was pretty nice. My memory could be deceiving me but the Wii U was also pretty decent too. Never been a fan of Sony's packaging.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
The Series X was packaged in a way that just felt the console was being featured to you as it opened.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The Series X (though presumably S as well) was the only time I've ever noticed it being anything above default, including the focus on accessibility

Sephirod

Oct 27, 2017
Had the chance to experience the Xbox Series X unboxing day one and nothing comes close.
I owned a lot of consoles since the NES but nothing have beat it and it's hard to think of one console that will.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Would have chosen "whatever, it's a box" but since that wasn't an option Series X. It was an interesting presentation.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the Series S. They made it feel premium while making it look more environmentally friendly.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
I have a Series S and a PS5. The Series S was a joy to unbox and PS5 was barebones.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They all suck anymore. I know it wasn't very environmentally friendly, but nothing beats opening a box filled with that wonderful scent of styrofoam, plastic and tech. I think the N64 was the last console to give me that kind of high, but damn If I don't remember it like it was yesterday.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Series X and Series S box designs are so well handled, it feels premium and super impressive. They were like mini-showcases.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Series X might be the most "premium" unboxing experience I've had yet. It felt super elegant.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Opening the series x box compared to the ps5 box two days later was hilarious. XSx had that premium Silicon Valley-like feel and PS5 felt like you bought it second hand from someone and they forgot how exactly to put the box back together.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Genuinely don't remember any of them. Always thought it was cool how the original 360 models had different amounts of the circle logo depending on the tier of model though.

Elite (120GB):
elitecable.jpg

Pro/Original (20GB):
ae4a023836853b1696697234071830be.jpg

Core (No HDD, just a memory card):
xboxbox.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The only two that stand out for me are the Wii and its two trays, and the GBA SP (on account of me always leaving it in the box once I'd finished with it ).
I remember the PS4 boxes having either a sleeve or just being made from paper thin material that ripped the second you touched it, but that's about it lol.

OP
OP
Martinski

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Opening the series x box compared to the ps5 box two days later was hilarious. XSx had that premium Silicon Valley-like feel and PS5 felt like you bought it second hand from someone and they forgot how exactly to put the box back together.

Yeah it is the impression i've gotten from watching a bunch of PS5 unboxing vids, seems kinda cheap? XSX seems to be similar to Apple / Beats in a way.

casnix

Apr 19, 2018
New Hampshire
The PS5 box seemed cheap and understandably so to maybe cut down costs? The Series X box though, that thing was very nice to unbox.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I felt the PS5 box was not as nicely packed and presented compared to the Series X. I had gotten my PS5 a week before the X and it was a box. Xbox packaging had a nicer feel.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Definitely the Series Consoles.

Everything before that was literally just a box. The series Consoles actually has a box that could very well be the best way to move your console around.

Nov 4, 2017
Definitely switch for me. I thought it was genius now the console and joycons are the first thing you see, then all the cables etc are hidden below. It was like a reverse mullet; party up front, business out back.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Series X box was super cool and neat and felt like origami in some ways, by comparison the PS5 box is just cheap garbage. Oh well, I'm not an unboxing guy so 5 minutes later I didn't care.

I do keep all my console boxes though, and tend to sell my consoles at upgrade time. Sold both my PS4 Pro and One X for nearly what I paid for them due to being in great condition and scarcity at the end of 2020.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
I've been opening consoles my whole life, the series X presentation when unboxing was incredible compared to the standard open one end and slide everything out that everything else has been.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
Series X is on another level. Not a fair comparison, really.

I remember listening to the Bombcast talk about it, and they assumed that the packaging was a special edition just for reviewers.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
honestly anything Xbox these last few years has been so clean. Gotta love the detail and care regardless if its just a 1min thing it makes the whole experience feel premium.

also shout out to the Xbox Accessibilty controller for having packaging that allows you to open it when you have limited movement!

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Saw the title and thought to myself, if there's justice in the world this will be an XSX thread. Not disappointed. That was the first time since the NES where I was like okay, okay, wow that's really neat. I threw the packaging away right after because fuck knows how you're ever going to origami that thing back into shape, but still.
Compared with PS5 it was indeed night and day. You had to get the center piece out of the encasing without anything to hold it by, I was sure I was going to let the monstrosity drop and it would break in two, leaving me trying to get a new PS5 for the next half year as well.

Nintendo consoles are usually packaged quite well as well. Shout out to the Wii U that's neatly packaged in two drawers. It's a bit of a puzzle but a very tight fit.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My man Seth Fowler with the tech unboxings now, he's done an amazing job over the last 18 months growing his YouTube channels.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
I love unboxing the Wii. Honestly the best packaging ever.

This and the Wii U (which was basically the same apart from the numbered boxes) are my favorites. There's something just fun about going through all of the goodies in the first drawer, and then revealing the console in the second.

Mastermind

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't even have the Series X, but that unboxing experience looks nice! PS5 was standard fare.