• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which comic will return from hiatus first?

• Hunter x Hunter

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Saga

Votes: 83 82.2%

• Total voters

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Last chapters/issues:
Hunter x Hunter - November 2018
Saga - July 2018

Yoshihiro Togashi of Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho has become an infamous hiatus king likely due to health issues that make it painful for him to work, but there's a very popular comic that's been on hiatus for even longer.
678199._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Saga's last issue (54) was advertised as "The explosive "season finale" to SAGA's most shocking storyline yet," which... is true. Some of the biggest events of the whole comic take place before us being pushed away to wait and wonder. The comic's creative team, Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, initially stated that it might be over a year before the comic came back, so it seems there is a purpose to this wait. Maybe they'll be jumping ahead a significant time and want it to feel like you haven't seen these characters in forever. Brian has also stated that they've been finishing issues ahead of time to avoid future delays.

With Hunter x Hunter, we have absolutely no indication whether Togashi has been working on it all this time in secret or completely ignoring it, as he does have that freedom. This hiatus seems less planned. While there were enough chapters left to fill out a new volume, a new volume hasn't released. That suggests to me that he hasn't even done the art for the new cover.

While Saga has the advantage of the readership knowing the creative team is hard at work but not quite ready to announce it, the comic has at least 3 months before it can realistically return. American comics have their solicitations made public, so unless they pull something weird, we know Saga will not be returning as soon as April.

Hunter x Hunter has the advantage that it could be announced quite suddenly and return within a couple weeks, but there is no evidence of it returning soon.

Place your bets.

update:
Oh, I forgot about this thread. I should've updated it last month. Things are looking good for Saga voters with the series scheduled to return January 26th, 2022.
www.polygon.com

Saga finally returns this January

Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples’ epic is coming back to shelves

It's not over until one of them releases an issue/chapter, though. Weekly Shonen Jump doesn't typically announce HxH returns that far in advance, so it could still technically scoop in for the win (I think this is quite unlikely). Weird issues could even cause Saga to have a delay. We'll see in January at the latest! I will probably forget about this thread again by then, though.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of Saga but that sounds like it'll return sooner.

With HxH I think Togashi has made the current arc far too bloated with too many characters and the sheer number of moving parts to it make it a nightmare to continue.

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of Saga but that sounds like it'll return sooner.

With HxH I think Togashi has made the current arc far too bloated with too many characters and the sheer number of moving parts to it make it a nightmare to continue.
I still don't understand why he keeps introducing so many more character almost every chapter. It was already a ton with the basic BR format between the Princess, now you gotta know each of their guards, and all the other random factions on the boat

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why he keeps introducing so many more character almost every chapter. It was already a ton with the basic BR format between the Princess, now you gotta know each of their guards, and all the other random factions on the boat
Yeah this arc has way too many new characters. Like a few are genuinely interesting, but most feel incredibly superfluous and the issue that this arc's main conflict revolves largely around these characters who were just introduced and aren't particularly interesting has made this feel so bloated.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Never read HxH but it sounds to me like Togashi doesn't really have much desire to continue it.

So probably Saga.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its bewildering, there's just too much, it'll take ages to reach the end of this arc before they even get to where they're going.

Plus having Gon & Killua absent makes it feel even more superfluous.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Its bewildering, there's just too much, it'll take ages to reach the end of this arc before they even get to where they're going.

Plus having Gon & Killua absent makes it feel even more superfluous.
HxH is wild, because it seems like we have a ton of the series left, and I just don't see how we'll ever possibly get it all. I used to think Berserk may never end, but at least we know Miura is working on it. We just have no indications of anything with HxH. He could announce tomorrow that he's never coming back (but considering the other forever-hiatus manga, I think creators just never make a statement and leave it for dead like Nana and Gisele Alain).

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
With Hunter x Hunter, we have absolutely no indication whether Togashi has been working on it all this time in secret or completely ignoring it, as he does have that freedom. This hiatus seems less planned. While there were enough chapters left to fill out a new volume, a new volume hasn't released. That suggests to me that he hasn't even done the art for the new cover.

The author comment for the last released chapter of HxH.

Ds8WEvMU4AALEuk

So I'm absolutely betting on Saga.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I seriously think HxH hasn't had its newest volume released because Togashi hasn't done the finishing touches (any art changes, cover illustration, etc). That's more damning than anything else if it's the case.
The author comment for the last released chapter of HxH.

Ds8WEvMU4AALEuk

So I'm absolutely betting on Saga.
Damn those various circumstances!!!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HxH is never coming back. I've given up

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously think HxH hasn't had its newest volume released because Togashi hasn't done the finishing touches (any art changes, cover illustration, etc). That's more damning than anything else if it's the case.

Damn those various circumstances!!!
I think they usually wait and release new volume to coincide with the return of serialization.

So if volume were to come without announcement of return from hiatus, that is when I'd start to get worried about not seeing the series again.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I think they usually wait and release new volume to coincide with the return of serialization.

So if volume were to come without announcement of return from hiatus, that is when I'd start to get worried about not seeing the series again.
Oh, interesting! I didn't know that, but it makes sense in terms of promotion.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's upsetting. Hunter X Hunter is one of my favorite series... And Togashi even said he wants to finish the series in an interview from the same year he stopped again.

He needs to let someone else draw while he writes. And have some communication! I get that mangakas like to be private but there's been no word from the guy for two years.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Worst part is that they all feel like they could be important/relevant at any given moment, so you're punished if you fail to memorize them

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
And have some communication! I get that mangakas like to be private but there's been no word from the guy for two years.
Yeah... it would be nice, but I've seen a number of manga disappear for over 3, 5, or 10 years without any mention of why or when it'll come back.
Worst part is that they all feel like they could be important/relevant at any given moment, so you're punished if you fail to memorize them
I have forgotten so much HxH. Also, I opened the first few pages of the last Saga issue and couldn't remember one of the characters.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
With HxH it's a matter of whether Togashi is well enough, I imagine corona has put him off whatever schedule he had planned though.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Togashi should let someone else draw and just give them the storyboards.
The man clearly can't work like he used to, it's better than letting it die.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't even know what Saga is but it'll return before Togashi "I'm in so much pain I can't get off the floor and need a trip to the hospital" will

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Saga, Umbrella Academy, Casanova. It seems that all the comics I like are always on hiatus.

For the former two I get that there's only one Gabriel Ba, but still.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I clicked on this thread to see if there were any, and I mean ANY, hints of Saga maybe coming back in the close future.

Instead I leave this thread saddened, after realizing that "holy fucks, Nana went into hiatus 12 years ago!"

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019

According to this translated interview, Togashi wants to break the Weekly Jump record for most named characters in a single arc.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want HxH to come back tbh. The quality is suffering because he doesn't want to draw so he just writes paragraphs of exposition instead. Until he hands over art duties to someone else I don't want it.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know anything about Saga, but it wouldn't surprise me if it comes back from hiatus first. I love Hunter x Hunter. It's easily my favorite manga/anime property, so I'll continue waiting patiently for a new chapter. But shit, I feel like I'm going to hit my 40s before we finally reach the Dark Continent lol.

I've made peace with the fact that I may not live to see the end of this series.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
is it gauche to pat myself on the back that my comic came back from it's multi year hiatus before these ones did

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I clicked on this thread to see if there were any, and I mean ANY, hints of Saga maybe coming back in the close future.

Instead I leave this thread saddened, after realizing that "holy fucks, Nana went into hiatus 12 years ago!"
I'm sorry to have done this to you. If it's any consolation, I get a good sense that Saga will return this year, which is more than I can say about Hunter x Hunter. That one could come back in February or never, and each outcome would be equally surprising and unsurprising.

Nana is a sad situation. I don't even get what happened there since her health got better and started doing other illustrations. Guess it's too much to commit to that serialization life (I get that).
He should let the wife draw for him.
That's the dream, really.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its been so long and since togashi isn't the most healthy guy i'm now starting to think he might have an even worse health condition they obviously aren't gonna disclose. hope i'm wrong but i don't see it coming back.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It boggles my mind that Togashi doesn't want to let someone else draw for him. He could just write and control everything without actually drawing

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
While Saga has the advantage of the readership knowing the creative team is hard at work but not quite ready to announce it, the comic has at least 3 months before it can realistically return. American comics have their solicitations made public, so unless they pull something weird, we know Saga will not be returning as soon as April.

Do we know they're hard at work with Saga, specifically? Last I heard they had taken an indefinite hiatus to work on other stuff?

Also, Saga is incredible and everyone should read it, but I would advice reading volumes 1 to 8 and skip 9 until they publish more. Vol. 8 is a much better stopping point with plenty of stuff wrapped up neatly, while vol. 9 ends in a huge cliffhanger.