• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which classic Resident Evil should be remade next?

• Resident Evil Zero

Votes: 38 7.8%
  • Resident Evil (again)

Votes: 161 32.9%
  • Resident Evil Code: Veronica

Votes: 290 59.3%

• Total voters

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
There's about a two year difference between the REmake and Code Veronica, which would normally put Code Veronica in a more likely position to be remade, but I don't know if there's enough demand for that remake. But a total remake of Resident Evil 1 for modern days? Yeah, there would definitely be a lot of demand for that.
Might have to rename Code Veronica to avoid spin off stigma, maybe just Resident Evil V.

Oct 25, 2017
1 again.
Separate stories for Chris, Jill, Rebecca and Barry. maybe an unlockable one for Wesker
canon endings
modern gameplay

then Code Veronica.

Zero after, with co-op.

Oct 31, 2017
I voted CV purely because the game looks pretty rough by todays standards and RE0/1 still look pretty great to me.

However I'd much rather RE8 than another remake.

I don't think it's an either-or thing. Considering we're going RE7->RE2make->RE3make->RE8, and in incredibly quick time, there seems to be an appetite for both.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's got to be Code Veronica or we're moving on to VIII! I think REmake is the best game in the series, I'm not sure it needs the RE2 Remake treatment. But Code Veronica - most certainly !

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Get rid of the tarantulas and we got a deal.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I loved CV, but I would much prefer RE1 in the style of the latest RE2/3 remakes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything more boring than 1 being remade. Code Veronica has so much more content to reimagine.

I'd even choose 0 with the zombie apes and the Ragman villian with leeches.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to play Code Veronica on PS2 and PS4, and both times I gave up. But I'd take a CV remake from the same team as RE2 remake.

Jun 10, 2018
I'd love for Resident Evil 1 to be remade again. It'd be amazing to see it remade in Remake 2 & 3's style. But what would be even more amazing is if they kept the same gameplay and fixed camera angles and used pre-rendered backgrounds again. That'd look absolutely incredible.

Jaclo

Banned
Mar 27, 2020
I finally played Resident Evil 7, on Xbox One X, in October. It was an excellent reintroduction to the series, after I lost interest in it with the demo of Resident Evil 5. After finishing 7, I bought and played through Resident Evil 2, also on Xbox One X, and absolutely loved it (particularly because I spent so, so many hours playing the N64 version of Resident Evil 2 as a kid). So then I thought, "Why not go ahead and give Resident Evil 4 another playthrough since its on Game Pass?"

Probably the best example I can think of for a game that was once Game of the Year, but is just bad by today's standards. My vote would go to Resident Evil 4 as a result. That game needs to be completely remade.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Code Veronica really needs it. Visually it doesn't hold up at all, and it's a game that could be improved in a multitude of ways. Unlike original RE1-3, Code Veronica is not a great game.

And I would probably stop there. They don't need to remake the remake, REmake is already perfect as-is. RE0 doesn't deserve one; it's not a good game and in order to make it a good game, you'd be making something else entirely so what's the point? And I know people want to see RE4 remade, but I think it still holds up great and doesn't need anything more than the remasters it's already received.

Last edited:

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
I'd love to see RE1 get the REmake treatment. Then the original trilogy would all be playable on equal footing.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
None of those. If any then RE4. It'll look absolutely amazing on next gen consoes.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I couldn't disagree more, but that's perfectly fine. The idea that it needs to be remade because it's "really bad" when it's one of the most highly rated and beloved games of all time, though...

Sorry, but the game has aged badly - from the terrible voice direction and wonky accents, to the bare-bones everything-is-brown art direction, the empty environments that lost so much detail in the jump to full 3D, the spring loaded camera, the tank controls... it may have been celebrated and groundbreaking in it's day, but I'd say it's aged worse than most of it's contemporaries.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Respectfully I don't really get why someone would choose 1 to remake (other than story and familiarity) when Code Veronica is so much meatier as well and yet still has room for improvement.

Because Code Veronica is bottom-tier Resident Evil, in my opinion. That game was totally forgettable.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, but the game has aged badly - from the terrible voice direction and wonky accents, to the bare-bones everything-is-brown art direction, the empty environments that lost so much detail in the jump to full 3D, the spring loaded camera, the tank controls... it may have been celebrated and groundbreaking in it's day, but I's say it's aged worse than most of it's contemporaries.
You couldn't be more wrong, imo. It's still fantastic. Gameplay systems are still wonderful, encounters are like a puzzle. The tank controls work perfectly within this.

The VA is a HUGE part of the charm, too.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Vernonica would make the mist sense as few people played it and I think it could most do with a rethink and remake.

Great story but the gameplay was a bit choppy of I remember rightly

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
You couldn't be more wrong, imo. It's still fantastic. Gameplay systems are still wonderful, encounters are like a puzzle. The tank controls work perfectly within this.

The VA is a HUGE part of the charm, too.

My examples are objective enough - TPS have come on along way since those first outings and it really shows. Fixed camera movement doesn't have a modern derivative so it feels far less jarring in 2020. Also, mixing up Mexican and European Spanish isn't charming, it's dumb.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My examples are objective enough - TPS have come on along way since those first outings and it really shows. Fixed camera movement doesn't have a modern derivative so it feels far less jarring in 2020. Also, mixing up Mexican and European Spanish isn't charming, it's dumb.
No they aren't, lol.

The game still plays beautifully. Imo, you are very wrong.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Code Veronica is bottom-tier Resident Evil, in my opinion. That game was totally forgettable.
Code Veronica? Forgettable?!? Call it trash, or anime, or stupid, sure, but FORGETTABLE? The game that introduced matrix wesker? With incestual twin villains, one of which having an overthetop british accent, the other with PYROMANCY? The only RE game to go to ANTARCTICA? STEVE?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Code Veronica? Forgettable?!? Call it trash, or anime, or stupid, sure, but FORGETTABLE? The game that introduced matrix wesker? With incestual twin villains, one of which having an overthetop british accent, the other with PYROMANCY? The only RE game to go to ANTARCTICA? STEVE?
Lol, yeh, CV is the opposite of forgettable. For better or worse.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
As someone that has only played 1 hour of RE2 remake, are they not coming all a bit too fast?

To answer your question, as someone who has only finished resident evil 5, and played an hour of RE7 VR: `
i would like to see a remake of 4 on next-gen.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017

Dude I played through that game twice (once on DC, the other on GCN) and I can't even remember any of those items you're taking about, other than Steve who was clearly modeled after Leo DiCaprio. Maybe it's just me, but yeah I barely remember anything about it other than that stupid Tyrant on a plane fight that can kill your progress if you go into it with not enough ammo.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No more, we've had enough for a decade or so. Especially dont touch 1 again.

Unless we are talking about VR remakes... (VREmakes?)

I UNIRONICALLY want a remake of both Gun Survivor games as VR reimaginings

Resident Evil Survivor is the closest to "so bad its good" the series got after RE1, very underrated game imo

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
A new one using everything they've (re)learnt from the remakes would be my preference. Personally I think zero is an awful game (fighting giant animals wtf) and would not like to see it remade at all.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
The only answer is Code Veronica X.

It is my least favourite Resident Evil game of the classic titles, but thats mostly because the game felt like a step back compared to Nemesis. The game would benefit the best from a modern approach. Can you imagine Wesker hijinks in the glorious RE Engine.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It won't be for a while, but i'm pretty sure Code Veronica would be next. Both RE:0 and RE:1 still hold up. RE:0 to a lesser extent of course but that's just from a general game standpoint and not graphical quality.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This might not be a popular opinion but I personally think 4 is very much showing its age. I wasn't as big a fan of it as some were to start with but that game in their current formula would be fantastic. I can see why its beloved by the gaming community but I am a much bigger fan of 5 in that RE Action trilogy (4,5,6) than 4. Although, I've been playing RE:CVX recently and while I still mostly enjoy it, it has the story and gameplay that can most go from ugly duckling to beautiful swan with some significant updates.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
No they aren't, lol.

The game still plays beautifully. Imo, you are very wrong.

You like it and that's fine, but the reality is that tank controls were already on the way out when it launched and we're barely ever seen again afterwards, fans are having to remake the textures because they're so damned ugly by today's standards, and the action-oriented, over-the-top style that it went for drove the series into decline.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
I hope Capcom will tackle CV next... It was my favourite Resident Evil title in the past, is in dire need of an update and I hope the keep the "anime" tone of the game in some way, while also realigning the story with RE1-3 in a more consistant way. However it is especially the gameplay, which could use an upgrade. I would look forward to see how it could be modernized and made more in line with other RE titles.

The intro of Chris, the "Matrix" fight of Chris and Wesker, the insane finale and "revisiting" the Mansion could all be very special when done correctly. For me it cemented Chris and Claire as my favourite RE protagonists and I think the game deserves better (especially as younger gamers do not seem to be too fond of the game).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You like it and that's fine, but the reality is that tank controls were already on the way out when it launched and we're barely ever seen again afterwards, fans are having to remake the textures because they're so damned ugly by today's standards, and the action-oriented, over-the-top style that it went for drove the series into decline.
Your arbitrary assessment is subjective and beside the point. The game still works beautifully regardless of progress made in general because its systems were so masterfully constructed. It still plays beautifully, and that's all that matters.

And no, RE4 shook the franchise up when it needed it. Much like RE7 did with first person. The fact RE5 was a shallower version of 4, and that RE6 was more all-out action isn't a stain on what 4 accomplished.

And yes, visuals age... not sure what to tell you there.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I would want either Code Veronica or RE1 remake. tossing a coin between those. probably slight lean towards 1.

I would play 0 remake too with big changes.

RE4 is the last one I want a remake of. I'm just not fond of it as much as most people.
I don't like the setting, the enemy types, puzzles, story, etc. It just had a lack of what I consider to be an RE identity.
Unfortunately , I think it's the most likely next in line for a remake lol. Will still play it day 1, hopefully I like it or appreciate it more than the original.