• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Challenger Pack is your favorite?

• Challenger Pack 1 - Joker

Votes: 91 15.7%
  • Challenger Pack 2 - Hero

Votes: 55 9.5%
  • Challenger Pack 3 - Banjo & Kazooie

Votes: 213 36.9%
  • Challenger Pack 4 - Terry Bogard

Votes: 167 28.9%
  • Challenger Pack 5 - Byleth

Votes: 52 9.0%

• Total voters

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's.... a really hard question to answer with all the considerations you mentioned.

Joker's playstyle is unique for sure, but not necessarily my cup of tea. Neat stage. Never played Persona 5 so my attachment to the character really isn't there, but that reveal was something special. Even if there character isn't really for me, I still appreciate the addition.

Hero's MP system is controversial but a cool addition for novelty's sake. Love the fact that there are 3 other hero alts. I wish there were more music with him. The franchise has so much to draw from and... that's it? I guess I shouldn't have expected any more considering what we got with Cloud.

Banjo is all around pretty cool and probably my pick, although it's pretty close with Byleth when all is said and done. Good stage, like the character, good music selection, and without a doubt my nostalgic favorite.

Don't care at all about Terry the character but he plays well enough. Love the stage (probably my favorite stage of the pass) and the music selection is ridiculously good beyond all expectations.

I'm in the "OMG another FE character" camp for Byleth, but franchise fatigue aside, I love the way they play. Probably my favorite technically of all the new characters. The stage is pretty neat and the music is good. The classic run had me smiling at the last fight.

All in all, thinking about this response makes me realize how happy I am with the fighter pass. It might not all be perfect or what I would have picked, but I think each addition brought something valuable and unique to the table.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Joker is cool. Hero was obvious and should've been defeault roster. Banjo is a really boring character. Byleth is an 8th Fire Emblem.

I love SNK so easily Terry.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo is the only pack I liked. Though I will say that Joker and Terry had better stages. Hero's and Byleth's stages really suck.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Terry > Banjo > Joker > Hero > Byleth

Terry is one of those characters I had no idea I wanted until he happened. I had always appreciated his meme potential, but it never clicked with me that he had a shot at getting into Smash. Should have been obvious in hindsight given Sakurai's story of the creation of Smash. His moveset is fun as hell and he's become a solid secondary for me, plus his music was by far the best out of the bunch. Psycho Soldier slaps. Also, hope to see the invisible wall breaking mechanic return in a future stage, really fun.

Banjo is just really cool to see after all of these years. His moveset is not my cup of tea, but seeing him played at a high level by Raito at EVO Japan recently was fun as hell. Also, Treasure Trove Cove is my favorite Banjo level and having the theme remixed by YOKO SHIMOMURA was surreal.

Joker was a shock to the system and a reminder to everyone right out of the gate to dream big. Also, neat to have a Stand user is Smash.

Hero was neat, especially the inclusion of Eight, but wish the music situation was better. Probably the prettiest stage.

Byleth mechanically is actually pretty fun, and Sakurai's team managed to actually give them a fair bit of character and charm in their animations, but it's kind of hard to get excited about a Fire Emblem avatar character on the third go round.

I'm really hoping at least one or two of my personal top 5 most wanted make the cut for Volume 2, so I can get truly hype about a newcomer for the first time since Richter.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo > Terry > Hero > Joker > Byleth

Banjo is the only character who feels like a nice middle ground between not being too gimmicky but also requiring some finesse to get the most out of. Terry is fun and his comeback gimmick has just the right amount of risk/reward. Hero is also fun but his RNG has a tendency to be annoying. Joker is just irritating to fight. Byleth is a mediocre character who will suck in 1v1 but thrive by spamming big moves in FFA and 2v2.

banjo is really boring on every level. even most of the content provided with his pack is stuff i dont ever see used. banjo's moveset is horrendous (bouncing egg projectile with random trajectory that can only be used from the back- a special move that vanishes if used too much, a awful projectile move in the locked firing neutral, and a uncreative up special). really dunno why this outdated relic from the nintendo 64 era was requested so much to be put in and it seems like sakurai doesn't know either.

Banjo's moveset is fantastic. Grenade egg is a beast (protip: hold down + backwards if you want it to fire in front of you), normal egg is a good projectile for annoying the opponent, his up special pairs nicely with his three jumps, and if you think Wonderwing sucks then you clearly do not know how to play Banjo.

OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Guess I'll crosspost this from the other Smash thread:

Overall I'd give the Fighters Pass a 7/10, the abridged version:

JOKER: Absolutely love Persona 5, great stage and music, moveset is mixed bag and not Persona-y but it's neat. 9/10
HERO: Respect but don't play DQ, four Heroes is really cool, nice stage, music is meh, moveset is iffy, no female Heroes. 6.5/10
BANJO & KAZOOIE: Dream character, perfectly straightforward moveset, amazing music, fanservice-filled stage. 10/10
TERRY: Don't have much love for SNK or its legacy, but Terry is fun to play as and 50 songs is amazing. Stage is okay. 6/10
BYLETH: Don't like the circumstances of their inclusion, don't like Fire Emblem, stage is meh, character is pretty fun. 4.5/10

Although I'm glad they used the classic voice samples, some of them are weirdly placed; Banjo's Pack Whack grunt from Tooie is used as a damage grunt in Smash. Just sounds wrong as someone who's played the Banjo games ad nauseam.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After spending more time with Byleth, I'd put her above Joker and Banjo but below Terry and Hero. She seems tailored to FFA and is kind of useless/gimmicky/inconsistent in 1v1. She makes FFA a little more frustrating if you're on the receiving end, but it's nice to turn your brain off and scoop a couple people with the down b.

Nov 18, 2017
Hell yeah, considering all the 'Hat Ken' nonsense im pleasantly surprised to see my boy in 2nd.

Now is he 2nd because SNK have a lot more fans on Era than i was led to believe at announcement or because so many of you played him & realized hes actually one of the most fun fighting game characters of all time?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terry brought my love of fighting games—old and new—to entirely new heights. I'm now an avid fan of SFIII, SFV, UNIST, KoFXIII, and a couple more. Of course, I also heavily fuck with Terry's play style in the game itself. Maybe if Heihachi gets added I'll actually start to grok 3D fighters? Lmfao.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, considering all the 'Hat Ken' nonsense im pleasantly surprised to see my boy in 2nd.

Now is he 2nd because SNK have a lot more fans on Era than i was led to believe at announcement or because so many of you played him & realized hes actually one of the most fun fighting game characters of all time?
The latter for me absolutely. I didn't know much about SNK fighters other than the gorgeous Neo Geo backgrounds. Terry's personality got me interested in him. After playing thru Fatal Fury Special and hearing him go WUBBA WUBBA, I'M IN THE PINK TODAY he genuinely became one of my fav fighting game characters out there.

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Terry is pretty easily my favourite. Super fun to play, great selection of music and I like the stage. If we're talking overall package then I'd rank them Terry > Joker > Byleth > Banjo > Hero. I'd swap Banjo and Hero if it's just how much I enjoy playing the character though, I don't really enjoy playing as Banjo even though I love everything else about his DLC pack.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Terry stole my heart in this pass. I was always fond of him in the old SNK games but his Smash moveset is just SO FUN. Buster Wolf is probably my favourite Smash move of all time

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love playing as Joker in Smash so I had to vote for him. I get that a lot of the people from older console gens love Banjo but personally I don't get the appeal and I think his moveset and stage feel bad.

Terry feels like the most complete and well rounded dlc character thus far

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Hero>>>>>Terry>Byleth>Joker>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Banjo

Only one i actively dislike is Banjo, cant bring myself to enjoy the playstile, and it feels just like a nostalgia grab for the whining western fans.

Joker is fine, but too squishy for my taste.
Byleth is from one of my favorite games, and their playstyle is how i like to play smash(slow but decisive, with spacing tools and some range) but i have not had enough time to properly familirize myself to rate them higher.
Terry is imo the best implemented Fighter form a series that was also a fighting game.

Hero takes it for myself, DQ11 is my game of the decade, and everything about Hero just oozes(lel, slime reference) dedication to the source material.
Down B is also the incarnation of how Smash is most enjoyable to me, random, crazy, sometimes broken but still somehow balanced.

Oct 31, 2017
My favorite is Terry but I have to say that Banjo is very, very close behind. Joker and Hero are so far in the back for me you could barely make them out. Byleth remains to be seen but it ain't lookin too hot for my playstyle.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Terry was the most important to me, and honestly the biggest surprise of the bunch. I didn't expect SNK to get any rep whatsoever in Smash, and then it happens and it also happens with one of my favorite characters from SNK. I mean, the only way it could be topped for me personally was Rock Howard, but I of course know Rock doesn't carry the star power of Terry from the SNK fanbase.

I'll even go on record and say that this entire Fighter Pass feels kind of amazing to me in context. I know guest characters in a Smash game is something of an old thing now, but in perspective, this Fighter Pass really had some surprising inclusions that I never would have foreseen being added to the game, and all of them speak directly to my tastes in videogames as a whole. I really don't believe for me personally there's a single dude of a character in Fighter Pass 1 for Smash Ultimate. Terry is by far my favorite of the bunch, but Joker was a debut was kind of mindblowing to me considering Persona's association feeling much stronger with PlayStation (I know the Q games are on 3DS but that didn't feel like a strong indication that Persona would come to Smash). I had fallen absolutely in love with DQXI after my appreciation for the general DQ franchise just completely blossomed this generation over DQ Heroes and DQ Builders, and XI just being the cherry on top by being far and away my favorite entry in the core franchise. Banjo and Kazooie is a classic that I thought was gonna be overlooked due to Rare/Microsoft affiliation nowadays. Terry Bogard speaks to some of my highest favored fighting games in all of history and his fighting style in Smash feels awesome, and again I didn't think SNK would be viewed highly enough by anyone working on Smash to go through the process of licensing and working a deal out with SNK to make it happen, nevertheless being so lovingly crafted to fit into Smash. And I loved Three Houses — Byleth isn't my personal favorite part about the game but I still can't fault them stepping in as representation, and I've had a decent time kind of messing around with the character in the last few days.

I'm really glad I have coincidental passion for every single one of Fighter Pass #1's characters. I get that they are all kind of dark horse picks for a lot of folks out there, perhaps Banjo and Byleth being the most obvious ones, but for me it just solidifies the sense that everyone I can think of is here. Sure, there are a few characters with arguably even more obscure chances that I can think of, but prior to any announcement and devoid of any further wishful thinking, I'm still shocked that this Fighter Pass contains so many choices that strike me as both personally appealing and surprising to throw into Smash.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think Hero is the best to play, but as a character and overall package, it has to be Terry.

One of my favourite characters of all time, even if Andy is better, a fun stage gimmick, faithful playstyle to his games, and a wonderful selection of music. Plus he has the FF3 colour scheme as an option, which is awesome. I know Ryu is the face of FGs, but even back then Terry was always the best FG main protagonist for me.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joker > Banjo > Terry > Hero > Byleth
Joker: One of my favorite characters to play in the game. Fast and slick playstyle and the Up-B dragdown combos are so fun it's insane. Brought a big shakeup to the competitive meta with MkLeo taking this character to insane heights too. Plus Persona music is just top tier. 10/10
Banjo: A fan favorite for sure and an inclusion that I was super excited for. Felt like dreams coming true. Music is great, stage is fun, and the character feels like the least gimmicky of the fighters pass while still being enjoyable to play (if not super viable at top level). 10/10
Terry: My issue with all of the shoto characters is that I always feel like command inputs are a little inconsistent for me. Despite that, this character is pretty fun to play, gave me an appreciation for SNK, and 50 music tracks is just insanity. 8.5/10
Hero: This character does not fit my style very well with his slow aerials, but is still one of my favorite "troll" characters in the game thanks to down b just being a hilarious move. Very fun to mess around with friends with this character. Music is pretty bad though and Dragon Quest still doesn't really do anything for me. 6/10
Byleth: By far the worst from a hype standpoint, but I did really enjoy my time with three houses. If anything that made me want to see them do something else other than pick the boring avatar character if they had to pick a three houses rep. All that said I've found their moveset to be fun to use even if I'm not a fan of how slow the character is. Music is great. 5.5/10

Overall I've been really happy with this fighters pass and I purchased the next one blind. I just love smash too much so I'm down with pretty much any new character at this point even ones I have no hype for just to mess with their moveset.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In terms of liking the character, Terry, even though I would have preferred any other SNK character over him hah.
In terms of gameplay, funnily enough - Byleth ended up being my favourite.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Terry is easily at the top of the pack. One can clearly see that Sakurai absolutely loved working on Terry and it shows: his gameplay has a lot of fun tricks pulled from the KoF games, his stage is incredibly unique with its "caged arena" approach and is loaded with cameos, and then there's the whole "50 goddamn songs" bit. It would be seriously unfair for me to not recognize that.

Banjo & Kazooie are a very close second, though. The sheer amazement of seeing them finally in Smash is still an amazing contact high, and even then they still got a quirky (albeit simple, but in a good way) moveset and their remixes are all bops.

To go through the rest, Hero and Joker would take third and fourth respectively, the former ultimately getting ahead because of how much stupid bullshit the Command Menu allows for, though I can't knock the sheer love put into Joker's stuff. Byleth unfortunately sits on the bottom, though that's not meant as a knock against them; I'm actually having a blast playing them, and though it's unfortunate not getting a more diverse character like any of the three lords I ultimately get and respect the choice going this route.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
Byleth is the only one I really enjoy playing. They're new but I can tell already they'll end being one of my most played characters. They were designed with the two main qualities I enjoy most in a fighter: power and reach (my mains are Ike and DK).

But Joker and Banjo-Kazooie were very exciting just to have in the game. Hero I haven't even bought and Terry I bought mainly for the stage and music.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I like playing as Joker, and his stage is fun. The fact they got music from P3, 4, AND 5 still surprises me but it's fantastic. I do wish they went with a moveset that better suited Persona, though - swap Down B with something that swaps out Persona (Arsene, Jack Frost, Mara Pixie) and have them pop out for certain moves.

Hero is fun and nonsense but gets detractions because Sugiyama ugh

Banjo feels like a character from an alternate universe where he was in the first Smash, which is a good thing. No real strong feelings towards him or his stage, though. Yoko Shimomura's remix elevates the whole pack to a 'nother level tho.

Terry is one of those "wow I admire the love put into this character but I hate fighting game inputs" newcomers. His stage is also bafflingly boring visually considering the beauty that is KoF backgrounds. At least the music is very good.

Byleth is fun to play as and Garreg Mach is probably the best stage of the lot, but he has a lot of moves that feel a bit too similar to past attacks (Joker's Up B, Simon's up tilt, down B basically being Hero's firey axe...) Shouldn't have been the last pack IMO.

So yeah for me it basically goes Joker > Banjo > Hero > Terry > Byleth

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Banjo without a doubt. Most wanted character since forever, and it delivered.

But Terry Bogard... man that was unexpected and perfect as well. Hero third, because DQ deserves one spot and they gave them even more than that.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terry > Hero > Joker > Byleth > Banjo

I'm shocked how much fun I'm having with Terry despite's Ken and Ryu never clicking with me. I'm tempted to take him online despite hating Smash's netcode.

Hero's bullshit specials and crits makes up for his lackluster normals. Also having 4 alts is cool.

I wish I was better as Joker, but I can't really blame the game for that. Regardless, his moveset is really fun and has some interesting elements to it.

I'm starting to come around to Byleth. I just have to treat them as a mid range heavy character. Also Up B and Down B shenanigans are fun.

I've never touched a B&K game, so I can only judge them as a character. Outside of Wonderwing, I'm not really a fan of their moveset at all. Feels more tied to bomb spamming than the three Links.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Banjo and Kazooie by far for me. Hero is also top notch. Both DESERVED to be in Smash. In another world he would have already been in Smash. DQ is an iconic thing in Japan so that makes sense. I just love B&K though and still can't believe they are here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Hero.

Of course my pick had to be one of the least popular lol.

Second would be Terry.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I could count the times I've paid for DLC on one hand, so I'm really not a fan of the concept in general.

That being said, I had to buy Banjo, so he's obviously my choice even though I haven't tried the other ones.

Haven't played too much yet (I go through every fighter one by one the few times I play the game with friends, so it takes hours to reach Banjo if ever), but his moveset is familiar and easy to get into, so he's basically what I expected and wanted out of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what could really beat Banjo for me. It's something I've been waiting for since playing Smash Bros. and Banjo as a kid on the N64.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
It's super close between Hero and Byleth for me. Hero's got a lot of love put into him, and is a ton of fun to play - Byleth feels really good to play, and I fucking love the music that comes with them. For now, I'll vote Hero, but Byleth is close!

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
1 : Hero
I'm very casual and Hero bring the kind of Chaos that I enjoy in a game ! Also, I love 3 of his 4 Alts, I never know which one to pick. Music is Meh... but I don't ming much.

2 : Terry
I didn't care for him when he was revealed. I was very disappointed, but in the end, I'm having a lot of fun with him. Yes I'm a casual, I miss the inputs half the times and once I'm at 100% all I'm trying to do are those stupid inputs... and yet... I love it.

3 : Banjo
I was overjoyed to see him being revealed but... his gameplay doesn't do it for me. I'm still very happy to see him here and will pick him from time to time.

4 : Joker
I want to like him. He looks very cool, his gimmick seem very fun. But I'm terrible as him.

5 : Byleth
I'm biased against them right now. Give me time and I might change my opinion. For now, too slow and positioning dependant for me to enjoy.